snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 29 October 2013, 01:49 PM

Default Christian Community In Uproar After Snopes “Debunks” Existence Of Jesus Christ

http://http://nationalreport.net/snopes-debunks-jesus/

Quote:
The website Snopes recently derived sharp criticism from members of the Christian faith after publishing an article that declared the life and death of Jesus Christ as little more than an ancient bamboozle.
It's the National Report, mind.
Old 29 October 2013, 01:54 PM

Is that some sort of conservative equivalent of The Onion? It's like they're trying to write satirical stories but without putting any jokes in them, or something.
Old 29 October 2013, 02:43 PM

I have never heard of the National Report or nationalreport.net.

The reporter seems to be a leftwinger, though, writing for a publication called "The Bitch" according to the byline. A search of that got the following link and no other publications on the first couple of pages of results: http://bitchmagazine.org/

DE, your link does not work as posted - too many http's
Old 29 October 2013, 02:54 PM

Does the article cited actually exist? I couldn't find it.
Old 29 October 2013, 02:58 PM

I can't figure out where that site is coming from. Some of it seems to be lampooning the most far-out Seekrit Muslin conspiracy theories, but without much actual humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
The reporter seems to be a leftwinger, though, writing for a publication called "The Bitch" according to the byline. A search of that got the following link and no other publications on the first couple of pages of results: http://bitchmagazine.org/
I wouldn't rule out the byline being a joke, too.
Old 29 October 2013, 03:15 PM

Icon101

The National Report pretends to be satire, but it's really much more on the level of trolling -- make up ridiculous stuff with no pretense of humor or subtlety.
Old 29 October 2013, 03:33 PM

I'm a subscriber to Bitch Magazine. It's a "feminist response to pop culture." From everything I've read over a number of years subscribing, I haven't seen anything like the article in the OP, FWIW. I can't find the author using the search function on the main site.

My google searches on "Bitch Opinion" have only led me to further mentions of the author Jane Agni as having written on that "fine website." Her author's bio also states that she wrote a book (States of Shame: Living as a Liberated Womyn in America) that made it to Oprah's Book Club. I know for a fact that never happened.

Basically, the author's bio is just bullNFBSK and lies.
Old 29 October 2013, 04:56 PM

I saw that, a lot of articles from there have been cropping up here lately. I'm wondering if this is not some kind of "payback" for all the coverage Snopes has been giving them lately.
Old 29 October 2013, 08:49 PM
Barbara

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
Does the article cited actually exist?
Of course not. Neither David nor I has written any such article, not even anything remotely like it.
Old 29 October 2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Of course not. Neither David nor I has written any such article, not even anything remotely like it.
We did have on the message board the discussions about the historicity of Jesus. I wonder if that suggested this hoax.
Old 29 October 2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Snopes was unavailable for comment but it is unlikely they will be pulling the offending article anytime soon.
I assume the first is because they never contacted either of you and the latter is because you can't pull what you never pushed.
Old 29 October 2013, 10:00 PM

Icon81

Also because I was asleep at the time they didn't try to contact me and therefore couldn't not be unavailable for comment.
Old 30 October 2013, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
The National Report pretends to be satire, but it's really much more on the level of trolling -- make up ridiculous stuff with no pretense of humor or subtlety.
It reminds me of Weekly World News, just outlandish nonsense. Their website also has a story about the CDC and zombies and Obama looking to find a way to get a 3rd term. The Glenn Beck, Alex Jones, Chemtrails crowd might buy it as fact.
Old 31 October 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I didn't think so, but I thought it would be prudent to check.