snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 18 January 2013, 10:51 PM

Fox News doesn't seem to have a problem identifying Black Panthers.
Old 19 January 2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The first thing that was drilled into me when I was taught to handle firearms was that you always treat every gun like it's loaded, 100% of the time and you never assumed that a gun wasn't dangerous even if it was unloaded. Carrying a rifle over your shoulder on a sling was also considered to be risky since you had relatively little control over the direction that the barrel was facing.
That's what I feel. I don't know enough about guns to know if one is loaded or not and depending on the weapon and the distance you are observing at, how exactly is the average person going to be able to tell either before they panic and create a major situation.

About the only time someone should be carrying a gun in public would be if it was in some sort of case where it can't be drawn easily. Walking around with a rifle slung over your shoulder would terrify me unless it was in a pouch of some kind and it was in a situation where I would expect it to be carried in.

There is no reason anybody should be carrying an exposed rifle in JC Penny's unloaded or not period. At the very least someone is going to think you are going to rob the place.
Old 19 January 2013, 04:27 AM

One more advantage of making guns (or at the very least carrying guns around in a usable way) illegal. That way when you see somebody who has a gun on them (concealed or in the open) they are a criminal and up to no good. Right now you have to guess are they a criminal, somebody who is just carrying one around for fun, some protestor.. Who knows..
Old 19 January 2013, 12:41 PM

Ponder

I'm curious to see what happens when a young minority male chooses to open carry like that someplace. I somehow doubt they will be seen as "just exercising their rights".
Old 19 January 2013, 06:48 PM

He wouldn't even necessarily have to be armed.
Old 19 January 2013, 07:10 PM

I am sorry, but if I saw someone carrying a gun around like that I would assume he had serious issues and was probably dangerous in some way.

There is simply no need to go out that heavily armed in public. And if the gun wasn't loaded, what the NFBSK is the point?
Old 19 January 2013, 07:27 PM

Intimidation, maybe? Look what I can do because it's my RIGHT? Feelings of inadequacy? Who knows.

My mom likes to say, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." My guess is that no one every said that to him.
Old 19 January 2013, 07:31 PM

I do find it significant that he tried this in a JC Penney rather than a motorcycle shop. I am sure intimidation was a motivator.

ETA: Also totally agree on what would have been the result if it had been a person of color, especially a man.