snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 14 October 2012, 12:48 PM

Back in high school I had a friend who had a father who was a brick layer/minister. On the weekends she would help her father with his brick-laying business. Constant handling of bricks managed to scrape away her finger prints.

Regarding gloves: whatever you do, don't leave the gloves behind. I don't have time to find the sources right now, but I have heard of a couple cases where a law-breaker left behind the gloves he used which were used to find finger prints on the inside of disposable gloves or DNA from non-disposable gloves.
Old 14 October 2012, 02:45 PM

This isn't the first UL about Magic Erasers. I wonder if the name or the novelty of the foam cleaning material that makes it more worthy. I realize this could be confirmation bias but there doesn't doesn't seem to be many cleaning supplies ULs. A quick look through the Reference pages has one about Resolve and Swiffer Wet Jets and general one on Sodium lauryl sulfate. Am I overlooking a world of suspicious cleaning product stories?
Old 14 October 2012, 03:06 PM

There's the UL that Febreze kills pets, but that's not really a cleaning product.
Old 15 October 2012, 12:18 AM

Oddly enough, you could say that Magic Erasers could kill pets. MEs are made from melamine foam, and it was ground up melamine, used as a filler in protein products, that killed 100s of pets in the US back in 2007. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls . So I wouldn't keep them where an animal might get a hold on one.
Old 15 October 2012, 12:33 AM

I would try to keep any cleaning products that might interest an animal put away, just like you do with kids. You can never tell what an animal might take it into their head to like (my sister had a cat that loved the smell of bleach, and we had to keep it from licking the floor after mopping.)
Old 15 October 2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahungo View Post
As someone who regularly wears latex or nitrile gloves, I think they are pretty far from ideal from committing a crime. They tear easily. They are conspicuous (even the clear ones). Your hands have a distinctive smell after wearing them for a while. Hell, they're pretty uncomfortable.

I think one would be better off just going with regular gloves, I'd think.
As someone who also wears latex and nitrile gloves a lot I've always thought they would be perfect for committing a crime. They do tear somewhat easily but rarely so much that you would be forced to touch a surface with an exposed part of your hand - and you can always carry a few backups, because they're so light and compact. They're cheap and generic, so you can just toss them after. They do make your hands smell but a few washes takes it away. And they are readily available at any drugstore and there are a lot of reasons to have them other than crime. I keep a box in the house for heavy cleaning and for dying my hair.
Old 15 October 2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
Oddly enough, you could say that Magic Erasers could kill pets. MEs are made from melamine foam, and it was ground up melamine, used as a filler in protein products, that killed 100s of pets in the US back in 2007. [...]
I don't think there's any evidence that melamine foam is dangerous, as pointed out on a famous site called snopes.com:
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

Nor is it known whether the melamine (not melamine foam "ground up") in the pet food was what caused the deaths of those animals. It was also suspected in the deaths of some toddlers but the results of investigations are not conclusive. In any case, melamine is not melamine foam. It's sort of like the difference between plastic resin being added to your food or chewing on a plastic sponge. Big difference! (Of course, the danger from choking is real with sponges.)
Old 15 October 2012, 05:16 PM

Thank you Ganzfield. I should have known that Snopes would have page dealing with the recall.
Old 15 October 2012, 06:55 PM

My cat is a cleaning product addict. I have to be really careful to make sure rags and paper towels are properly disposed of or else it's like catnip to him. If he catches a whiff of pledge, he'll rub his face and roll around on whatever surface I've just cleaned. His first bath happened a week after I brought him home, when he decided to leap into a bucket of Mr. Clean as I was using it. Luckily, I learned to be really careful with any chemical smells when he's around. He goes after personal hygiene stuff, too, so sometimes I'll hear a thump in the bathroom, followed by a sink full of fifteen pound cat wrapped around a soap bar.

People food is boring, and kitty treats are meh, but leave the toothpaste out in the open and it's like free crack.
Old 15 October 2012, 07:17 PM

We had a family dog who loved to eat bars of soap. I don't remember it causing any gastrointestinal issues, though. She just wound up with soap suds all over her mouth, and then I'd get in trouble with my mom for forgetting to put the soap away.
Old 16 October 2012, 07:46 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
The variant I heard, and thought of immediately upon reading the OP, is that the abrasive element of the Magic eraser would temporarily remove the ridge lines.

The variant I heard years ago involved using 1200 grit sandpaper to do the same thing.
I was thinking along those lines as well. I managed to sand off part of my fingerprints with 600 grit sandpaper while working on an art metals project.

I had the wet paper on the table to sand a flat piece smooth prior to soldering. Part of my index and middle fingers overhung the piece I was sanding and I gradually ground down the skin till it was thin like it had a shallow scrape. It didn't really hurt until a few hours later when the skin dried out. OUCH!
Old 17 October 2012, 05:48 AM

Well, of course they can. They'll clean up paw prints, too! They've saved me many a security deposit.

Oh, wait. Not like that?