snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 April 2018, 01:09 AM

Default Movies you've seen recently

Blockers was a surprise. The trailer looked aggressively unpleasant. I wasn't planning to see it until all the positive reviews started coming in, and they made it clear that it wasn't like the trailer. Weird that they thought it would be better to market it the way they did. The movie was constantly subverting the teen sex comedy cliches from the trailer.

Only two of the parents were trying to police their daughters, and the movie wasn't taking their side on that at all. One of the main three parents and several supporting character parents were trying to talk them out of it. A lot of it was empty nest anxiety, and their arc was that they had to learn to deal with it after a lot of self-inflicted pain. The girls had a sweet friendship, and three quite different outcomes from one another, all of them positive. Their love interests all seemed genuinely nice and were not strong personalities driving the situation.
Old 13 April 2018, 04:35 PM

Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Blockers was a surprise. The trailer looked aggressively unpleasant. I wasn't planning to see it until all the positive reviews started coming in, and they made it clear that it wasn't like the trailer. Weird that they thought it would be better to market it the way they did. The movie was constantly subverting the teen sex comedy cliches from the trailer.

Only two of the parents were trying to police their daughters, and the movie wasn't taking their side on that at all. One of the main three parents and several supporting character parents were trying to talk them out of it. A lot of it was empty nest anxiety, and their arc was that they had to learn to deal with it after a lot of self-inflicted pain. The girls had a sweet friendship, and three quite different outcomes from one another, all of them positive. Their love interests all seemed genuinely nice and were not strong personalities driving the situation.
you forgot the "rooster"��... it goes along with the name...
Old 14 April 2018, 03:59 AM

Mouse

I saw Ready Player One today. I didn't like the book, so I didn't have high expectations for the movie. I was in it mostly for the visuals. Sometimes it's worth going to the movies just for the experience; the world is so much brighter and more beautiful on the silver screen.

The movie does use the outlines of the book, but it diverges a bit from it. It almost works better as a movie than it did as a book. It's true that books can touch on all senses, while movies are limited to sight and sound, but movies can sometimes do visuals on a grander scale than books.

After a while, I mostly just sat back as the pretty pictures danced across the screen. The nature of the movie's plot where the hero is trying to keep the Oasis from being taken over by soulless corporate suits, feels uncomfortably close to home, especially in light of Net Neutrality being overturned. auses to shake fists:

Though there is of course, the old themes of escapism, because let's face it, we all love ourselves some escapism. Even the Amish probably love it, though I'm not sure what their escapism is like.

This reality is just the worst. Not only are there no aliens or superpowers and Five Man Bands for me to join, it's a nonsensical mess.

As said before, the only form of fiction that comes the closest to reflecting reality, are those shitty Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books: important plot points come way the heck out of nowhere, nothing is resolved in a satisfying way, and no matter what you choose, you always end up screwed in the end.

Every form of fiction, even whacky, zany ones, have an internal logic they follow, but Reality throws out all the basic rules of plotting and logic. The worst part is that in violating these basic standards, not only is Reality a nonsensical mess, it's a BORING nonsensical mess. I'm not sure if there's one music that sums up all fictional worlds, but for Reality, the best kind of music that sums it up, is the kind produced when you sit a sugarhigh toddler at the piano, just turn them loose, and let them bang on the keys for all eternity.

Though as always, the supporting cast is so much more interesting than the White Male Protagonist, but they're stuck being backup. As for the love interest, well I'm having flashbacks to this webcomic.

Eh, I'd give the movie a two, maybe a two and a half. Like with the oeuvre of Luc Besson the large amount of pretty is almost enough to make up for the small amount of intelligence.
Old 16 April 2018, 06:55 AM

Throw Tomato

I saw A Quiet Place last week and really enjoyed it. It was a really neat mixture of science fiction and horror with a great story and performances. Also, I'm really glad that I saw this in a theater.

Brian
Old 16 April 2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
I saw A Quiet Place last week and really enjoyed it. It was a really neat mixture of science fiction and horror with a great story and performances. Also, I'm really glad that I saw this in a theater.

Brian
I am thinking about seeing this. Will I am generally ok with scaring movies, I do live alone and I am not as, well as confident, for want of a better term, as I once was.
Old 16 April 2018, 10:48 PM

Rampage is a lot of stupid fun. It's a great monster mash with some really great action sequences. Jeffery Dean Morgan chews the scenery in every bit he's in, and the bad guys feel like something out of an 80's movie with how over the top evil they are.
Old 19 April 2018, 01:24 AM

Mouse

When it comes to Ready Player One, I have to admit that doesn’t take me long to start picturing how the Oasis would be used in our reality. And yes, my conclusion was that it would be mostly about sex, like every possible fetish in existence and maybe a few we haven’t even heard of. I’ve increasingly wondered if Futurama isn’t right about most of human endeavor being about getting laid. When that anonymous caveman invented the wheel, were the cave-dwellers like, “Yes, this will better allow for the transport of people and goods over long distances,” or were they like “I’mma gonna put mah dick in it?”

Then I also think about how the GamerGate/4chan element of the Internet, would play out. Once again, I laugh at Gene Roddenberry. He believed that better tech would lead to better communication and thus, smooth over long-standing ethnic/religious hatreds. It’s a nice ideal, but more advanced tech doesn’t change the fact that people are people. You give NFBSKwits the Internet and they’ll still be NFBSKwits, only on a greater scale.
Old 21 April 2018, 10:35 AM

Finally sat down and watched Ring: Kanzenban. It’s more faithful to the book than the 1997 movie was (except Asakawa is the only incarnation to retain the wife but have no children), but the two scares the movie aims for end up more likely to annoy with how stupid they are (The video comes complete with weird apparitions, and Sadako has a child for no reason. It should be noted that the movie adapts book Sadako, who has no uterus.)