snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 15 May 2018, 04:43 PM

You mean The Very Hungry Caterpillar lied to me?!
Old 15 May 2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
You mean The Very Hungry Caterpillar lied to me?!
Ha ha ha, I posted about this on Facebook and a friend of mine posted almost the exact same thing.

But yes, the book lied.
Old 17 May 2018, 09:49 PM

LTTAM - The wedding of Meghan Markle and Harry Wales, specifically the message it gives. As I see more and more think pieces about how important this is, or when the schools she attended growing up put on pageants about it, I get one very clear impression: the best a woman can hope for is to marry a prince, and giving up a successful career is well worth it to achieve that goal.
I'm not saying that she shouldn't marry the person she loves, or even that she shouldn't retire from acting if that's what she wants to do. It is all of the people around this who talk about how important it is for her to become a princess, how meaningful that is. What has set me off is the video from the high school she went to. They have choreographed dance routines, waving British and American flags, and are touting her as their most famous alumni. I can find no record that they ever celebrated Tyra Banks or Mary Tyler Moore, both of whom also attended the school. Nope, just celebrating being a Princess, and giving off the definite impression that this is the ultimate goal of a woman, certainly much more so than being a successful actor or entrepreneur.
Old 17 May 2018, 09:55 PM

It's more of the "princesses are important, common girls are not" stuff that's wrong with too many Disney movies.
Old 17 May 2018, 10:01 PM

If actually becoming a princess is the goal being touted than the overwhelmingly vast majority of girls are doomed to disappointment. Somehow though I don't think that's really what's happening.
Old 17 May 2018, 10:41 PM

Paper drinking straws. They're biodegradable and presumably less likely to leech chemicals than plastic. But the feel of them is like nails on a chalkboard. I can't use them, and they're becoming a lot more common lately.
Old 18 May 2018, 03:12 AM

Mouse

Where I live, which is basically redneck central, a large part of our region is currently without Internet, forcing me to have to turn my phone into a hotspot to get Internet. I know the problem is on their end, not mine. Iíll assume the cause is that even though the US invented the Internet, we somehow have the worst Internet in the world. Europe and most of Southeast Asia enjoy cheaper, faster, and more reliable service, but we canít have anything like that because Creaky, Expensive, Inefficient Corporate Monopolies are the American Way, dammit!
Old 18 May 2018, 04:30 AM

That may be where to place the blame in more populated places, but I don't recall finding robust internet in rural areas of any country I've been to.
Old 18 May 2018, 12:53 PM

The Royal Wedding stuff hasn't bothered me, mainly because the two participants are so well-suited and clearly in love, unlike the participants of the other big Royal Wedding in my lifetime.
Old 18 May 2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Paper drinking straws. They're biodegradable and presumably less likely to leech chemicals than plastic. But the feel of them is like nails on a chalkboard. I can't use them, and they're becoming a lot more common lately.
When I was in Poland in 1979, I was surprised when an ice cream shop gave us drinking straws that were actually straw - that is, a hollow stalk of grain - sanitized and wrapped in plastic.
Old 18 May 2018, 02:19 PM

Glasses

SIFF is showing Moomins and the Winter Wonderland this year. I would love to see it--except all three showings are while I am out of town. I might possibly get back in time to see the last one, if traffic is good and Ferdinand doesn't drive me crazy during the drive.

Seaboe
Old 18 May 2018, 03:26 PM

Rabbit

Quote:
You could always but one of these.
Old 18 May 2018, 03:49 PM

I think they make foldable stainless steel straws now.
Old 18 May 2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I think they make foldable stainless steel straws now.
That's actually something practical that I may try at home. I can't see myself transporting them with me when I go out though, despite the scourge of paper straws.
Old 18 May 2018, 07:55 PM

I bought a 4-pack of (non-foldable) stainless steel straws a while back. It took some time to get used to the way they feel, but overall I like them. They're dishwasher-safe and generally easy to clean, although that depends on what you use them with -- I tend not to drink sugary drinks.
Old 18 May 2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
the scourge of paper straws.
It's interesting what does and doesn't bother different people. I remember paper straws being standard, and I don't remember either being bothered by them, or hearing others complaining. I wonder whether they're making them differently now*, or whether we were so used to them we didn't notice something about them that bothers people used to the plastic ones, or whether it's just a few people who don't like them?

(To be clear, I'm not saying I think they shouldn't bother you. If they do, then they do. I'm just wondering which of those things is going on; though of course it might be some of all three.)

*ETA: I have no opinion as to whether they're making them differently now, because I very rarely use straws at all; I generally just drink from the glass or cup or bottle or whatever. But whether that option works probably depends both on what you're drinking and where you're drinking it, as well as upon individual preferences.
Old 18 May 2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
It's interesting what does and doesn't bother different people.
It's primarily a texture thing for me. Touching certain types of unfinished softwoods drives me up the wall. I used to play a woodwind instrument in middle school, but the music teacher at one point found out I'd been playing it "wrong" for years and wanted me to bite down on it. After about a week of that vibration I had to quit playing the instrument, and I've been really sensitive to certain vibration feelings since.

Paper doesn't usually trigger it, but the extra thick paper used for straws vibrating from transporting fluid triggers the same sensation. Plus the edges start to turn to mush as soon as you use it, so it's just awful all around.
Old 18 May 2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
It's primarily a texture thing for me. [ . . . ] After about a week of that vibration
Ah. That makes lots of sense to me (not, of course, that it has to.) Paper straws never bothered me, but, while I'm better about it than I used to be, I still can't eat certain pastas, and when I was a child the only pasta I could get down was noodle kugel. And certain sounds and certain vibrations drive me straight up the wall -- including some that most other people don't seem to even notice.
Old 18 May 2018, 11:50 PM

Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
That may be where to place the blame in more populated places, but I don't recall finding robust internet in rural areas of any country I've been to.
Hm. Not that I can say you're wrong (and I don't think I've travelled as much as you) but my experience has been that I've gotten great connectivity in rural parts of several countries.
Old 19 May 2018, 01:59 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Of course, after I type this post, the Internet came back, because irony is a cruel, fickle bitch.

Some of it probably is due to me living way the heck in the middle of nowhere, but I still feel like the USís Internet should be blamed. Because we already have the worst Internet and Net Neutrality is only going to make it worse.
Closed Thread