snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 May 2018, 12:29 AM

Mouse

Is there a way we can give the NRA and everyone on the Right, one-way tickets to Saudi Arabia, North Korea, and China? Maybe once they've experienced some actual suffering/martyrdom for their beliefs, they won't be such pills, and if they manage to escape, maybe they'll be more sensitive to the plight of refugees, since they had been refugees.

If nothing else, they'll be trapped in third-world hellholes and all the sane people can take advantage of their absence to get stuff done. It's also something I think about, regarding Atlas Shrugged. I wonder if anyone has written a sequel/farce about to that book where, while all the rich a-holes tear themselves to pieces in Galt's Gulch, because it turns out being a CEO doesn't mean you have mastery of all disciplines under the sun, the world around them is becoming a fairer, more equitable place by taking advantage of the fact that all the selfish a-holes of the world have run off.

It's probably a reoccurring theme among many groups on the Right, religious or otherwise: if you were to put them in a place where it was just them, at first, they would be overjoyed about being able to make their prejudices the law of the land. However, the thing that unites and keeps most of them together, is their shared enemy. Take away the shared enemy and I imagine it wouldn't take long for things to get really ugly, really fast. The Right isn't known for their diplomacy and ardent dedication to peacekeeping. That militant mindset would have to find a target for its rage and it would.
Old 30 May 2018, 05:57 PM

Yow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Holy crap. I thought this was a joke. How in God's name can they expect this to improve their image?

So did DH when I told him. I had to show him the story.