snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 24 September 2012, 08:02 PM

Cell Phone First world problems

This morning, I tried to use my phone to add airtime to my account via my debit card, and it wouldn't work(I've had no problem with any of the other Verizon phones I've had). I had to wait until I got home and use my netbook.
Old 24 September 2012, 08:06 PM

//Inspired / borrowed/ ripped off from Bob "MovieBob" Chipman//

It's 2012. We've got an automated SUV on Mars, the military has laser weapons, you can now literally buy a replicator for less then a high end TV. I think it's safe to say we're officially in the future.

So where's my jetpack?

And I know what you're going to say. Do I really want a bunch of idiots careening around the sky in jetpacks?

Of course not but notice I didn't ask where everyone else's jetpack was. I specifically asked where my jetpack was. Give me one, I promise no one else will ever know... until I poop down their chimney from 40,000 feet.

Last edited by JoeBentley; 24 September 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 24 September 2012, 08:09 PM

Moose

And if your turd freezes on the way down can we say you attacked a home with an icy BM?
Old 24 September 2012, 08:10 PM

Not sure what you mean by replicator but there is no such technology available so far as I know.
Old 24 September 2012, 08:11 PM

3D printers can create many, many different objects simply by feeding it the appropriate data. While not capable of creating food, it can create many different objects.
Old 24 September 2012, 08:12 PM

Well technically it's a 3-D Printer, but they're calling it a Replicator so I think it counts.

http://uncrate.com/stuff/makerbot-replicator-2/
Old 24 September 2012, 08:12 PM

Say that until you try to eat one of the hamburgers it creates
Old 24 September 2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
And if your turd freezes on the way down can we say you attacked a home with an icy BM?
//Mike, Dan, and Katie are discussing which super power you would want to have.//

Mike: If there's one guy, just one guy that can fly and he's rubbing it in our faces just by existing... someone's gonna shot that guy.
Katie: You're just assuming that...
Dan: No he's right. 'Cause I'd pee on people a lot.

- Cracked After Hours
Old 24 September 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
3D printers can create many, many different objects simply by feeding it the appropriate data. While not capable of creating food, it can create many different objects.
While it isn't the same as creating foods, some have been used to create things out of food products - chocolate sculptures, for instance.
Old 25 September 2012, 01:54 AM

In a 12 pack of Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi, 4 of the cans contained flat Pepsi!

I am disappointed in you, PepsiCo. So very, very disappointed.
Old 25 September 2012, 03:45 AM

Icon18

The only free table at Starbucks tonight was right underneath the speaker, and they were playing incredibly loud jazz that no reasonable volume on my earbuds could drown out.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 25 September 2012, 06:13 PM

The spinach in my pre-made salad appears to have been tesselated, to the point where it's one piece, and virtually impenetrable with my plastic fork. I'm afraid that at some point in the near future, I am going to be wearing this salad as I try to take it apart so I can eat it.

ETA: Also, some of these spinach leaves are bigger than my hand. Baby spinach my butt!

Last edited by kit_n_caboodle; 25 September 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 27 September 2012, 08:51 PM

In 2009, i received a bonus by way of stocks (not options) that vested in three years (retention program)

They vest on October 31, 2012.
Due to the performance of the stock, they are now worth 40% of the value when they were awarded (a 60% decline)

Today I received a letter from the brokerage that I must pay taxes on them the day they vest -- on the value on the date in which they were issued (not the date they vest) which results in a net deficit of $18.11 after they consume my stocks to pay the balance. I must pay that amount to the brokerage, PLUS a $15 fee for the conversion. for a net loss of $33.11
Old 28 September 2012, 02:53 AM

I've been shortlisted for a terrific job. It would pay twice my current salary (which I'm still not receiving on a regular basis anyway), and it would be in a much less expensive city, and it would be a lot more stimulating than anything I've done since I got out of school.

There's always a tradeoff: it would be in an area where I've never had any interest in living (though it does have some vacation spots I love), and where due to visa restrictions, DW wouldn't be able to join me for at least six months. Just as important, it's a long, long way from where she does want to move next. It's also apparently a very in-your-face Christian company: they start every day with a prayer and so forth. You don't have to participate, but I wonder how they treat employees who don't.

So basically, it's a great job with great pay, but everything except that suggests I should turn it down. I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much until I actually get the offer, but still.
Old 28 September 2012, 03:38 AM

Royalty

I only have 1 inverter on my laptop and it;s hard to get it to warm both my feet at the same time..
Old 28 September 2012, 03:46 AM

Despite having a cashier's check, a certain bank who shall not be named (but rhymes with "place"), provided exactly zero of that deposit to be immediately available, half available at midnight, and the other half the next morning after the bank staff manually released hold on the deposit. I understand that it's a new account, but it's a cashier's check - it was supposed to be as good as cash.

Considering that I'm doing this to start up the account, and they've described themselves as the second coming of banking, I feel that, once again, I've been fooled.

Maybe all banks in the US are just crooks and liars?
Old 28 September 2012, 04:03 AM

No. But a good many of them place holds on checks. Even cashier's checks. Especially if you don't have enough in your account to cover it. This is because cashier's checks have been forged and used in scams. Especially if said check was from another country.

ETA: My locally based bank has always treated me fairly. Because I have been a customer for several years, my occasional big check gets approved by a manager and is available to me immediately.
Old 28 September 2012, 04:03 PM

Thanks. The check was from another US bank (in the same town - less than 2 miles down the road - that's how they were able to call and confirm the cashier's check), but I never had that problem with a cashier's checks. I walked in to a car dealership and left a much bigger check and walked away with the keys.

The worst part of it was that they couldn't tell me what my "hard number" was for deposits - how much I'd have available immediately, and how much would be on hold. Back in Canada, the bank would tell me, if asked, how much I could deposit and have available without hold. When I got a new account it was $1500. With time and a history of higher transactions, it went up to $25k, but the thing is that I had no problem with the initial deposit into that account (a $2000 check from my parents because I was flat broke and had no individual bank account). Granted, that check was from the same bank, it still shouldn't be as good as a "cashier's check". I think my expectation of the value of a "cashier's check" is incorrect. They do seem a bit easy to forge.

So far the only financial institution that has dealt with me fairly down here in the US, is American Express.
Old 28 September 2012, 04:12 PM

Credit Unions tend to be more consumer/member oriented.
Old 28 September 2012, 04:22 PM

I have to say, despite the hate, I have been with Chase (since they bought up Wamu out here) for some time and had no issue with them. Not saying that absolves them of anything, just that I think a lot can end up being luck of the draw with individual bank managers.
Closed Thread