snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 10 January 2019, 08:27 PM

I rarely buy lottery tickets, but I got a Powerball yesterday in time for last night's drawing. In my whole life, I only ever won once, and that was a $2 minimum win. However, on checking the numbers this morning - nearly won!

...in that each of the main numbers was in the same "ten set" as the winning numbers (e.g., I picked 05 14 35 41 51, the winning numbers were 06 19 37 49 59), and my powerball number was 11, exactly half of the winning powerball number (22). You can see a couple of other numerological oddities in there as well.

Never been so close to "winning" in my life And likely never will again, either.
Old 11 January 2019, 03:06 PM

Glasses

This morning as I was walking Ferdinand I saw the movable jaw part of a pipe wrench on the sidewalk. I did not see the rest of the wrench.

Seaboe
Old 11 January 2019, 03:45 PM

Oh, that's where it went!

-- highly unlikely. But I did lose the jaw part of a plumber's wrench years ago, in tall grass, on my way to work on an irrigation line. Very annoying. I'm more careful how I carry them now.
Old 11 January 2019, 09:12 PM

There appear to be a couple of large white ceramic dinner plates sitting on the grass outside one of the flats in my road (the block next to mine). I say "appear to be" because it was dark, and it's possible they were plastic disposable ones rather than ceramic. They looked ceramic, though.

Litter often blows onto that patch of grass if it falls off a dustcart during a collection (or if somebody just drops it, but it seems unlikely that somebody would casually drop even disposable dinner plates in the street). This didn't look like litter, though - it looked like somebody had thrown it out of the kitchen window of one of the overlooking flats.
Old 12 January 2019, 10:18 PM

A large 4 wheel drive tractor with a big disc behind it filling up with fuel at a gas station.
Old 12 January 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
A large 4 wheel drive tractor with a big disc behind it filling up with fuel at a gas station.
As a teenager while visiting my grandparents in Wisconsin I once saw a man drive his riding lawnmower to a gas station and fill it up. That just seems like such a Wisconsin thing to do.

Odd thing I saw today: A little jewelry shop in an Asian market called "Ky Jewelry Collection". I suspect they were trying to rip off Kay Jewelers' name; it was in a script style font that would almost look like "Kay" if you just quickly glanced at it. That's what I thought it said at first until I looked more closely (I wonder if Kay would consider it a trademark violation). But I don't know if the owner realized what else "KY" could mean.
Old 13 January 2019, 01:42 AM

I think he is warning that he will screw you on the prices, but he will be smooth about it. Sort of the warning that all jewelry stores should have.
Old 13 January 2019, 04:04 PM

Jewelry that slips on and off easily.
Old 14 January 2019, 10:38 AM

Forget it. I lost a whole long post when I tried to edit. I will try again tomorrow.

Last edited by Dasla; 14 January 2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added stuff removed stuff lost stuff
Old 17 January 2019, 01:46 AM

Apparently the local NBC station is showing reruns of Wild America on Sundays right now.

I'm rather puzzled by this, given that if they wanted a nature documentary, surely they could get one that's more recent than one that was originally broadcast in the 80s.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:16 PM

Crockoduck Hunter, I wonder if the show recently got available for cheap, because a local channel had it on recently too.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:52 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
As a teenager while visiting my grandparents in Wisconsin I once saw a man drive his riding lawnmower to a gas station and fill it up. That just seems like such a Wisconsin thing to do.
That and snowmobiles.

When I worked at a now-defunct offshoot of Montgomery Ward people were very insistent that their riding mowers be in Packer colors.
Old 17 January 2019, 02:56 PM

Glasses

They should've bought John Deeres, then.

Seaboe
Old 17 January 2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Crockoduck Hunter, I wonder if the show recently got available for cheap, because a local channel had it on recently too.
It's been cheaply available for a long time after it stopped showing on PBS. It's also been part of Amazon Prime's streaming lineup since the service launched.
Old 17 January 2019, 05:38 PM

Last night I noticed my cat investigating something near the back door. At first I thought maybe it was a small brown snake that had gotten inside, but when I got over there I realized it was in fact an earthworm. While I was pondering what to do with it, the worm slithered over to the door and descended into the small gap between the carpet and the door frame. I'm guessing it exited the house through some gap under the door frame, or maybe a crack in the concrete slab, which I'm guessing is how it got in. But it's possible that it simply went underneath the carpet, but that would leave how it got inside a mystery.
Old 17 January 2019, 08:55 PM

Glasses

I've never heard of such an adventurous worm before.

Seaboe
Old 18 January 2019, 07:07 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
They should've bought John Deeres, then.

Seaboe
Mostly they did! But if they were looking at another brand they wanted Packer colors.