snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 26 December 2018, 01:12 AM

Default Is it me or my oven or the altitude?

We've been living here in Las Cruces for 2 full years and have yet to cook a good turkey. Other baked things have been iffy but manageable. Today's turkey was put in the oven at 10:30 AM set at 325. It should have been done for dinner at 2:30, 3 at the latest. Finally at 4, we gave up on the turkey and pulled out a ham which was already planned as FIL doesn't really like turkey.

ETA: I wasn't ready to hit print but the blankty blank computer did it any way.

So why are turkeys and other roasts not cooking properly? Is it our altitude which is 4000 feet, the oven not maintaining temperature or just me not knowing how to cook?
Old 26 December 2018, 01:56 AM

Chicken

Quote:
There is some question about the impact of altitude on roasting a turkey. Colorado State University's extension service says that altitude should have no effect on cooking times for turkeys or large roasts. However, other sources recommend lowering oven temperature by five to 10 degrees Fahrenheit and cooking for up to 25 percent longer.
https://oureverydaylife.com/547133-w...-altitude.html
Old 26 December 2018, 08:46 AM

Richard,

How big was the Turkey? What internal temperature was it at when you gave up?

I would tend to blame it on the oven. I've found that many ovens have trouble keeping up when fully loaded. My oven is flawless all year, but when I have all three shelves loaded while making Thanksgiving dinner it cooks much, much slower.
Old 26 December 2018, 11:03 AM

WAG- perhaps it is something to do with the turkey gas pressures inside the carcas? or the relative boiling point of bird fats.

For next year, canít you pressurise your kitchen to 1 bar to replicate a sea level cooking environment?

Old 26 December 2018, 11:05 AM

Stupid additional question; Are you certain it was 100% thawed?
Old 26 December 2018, 03:05 PM

Beachlife, it was 12.25 pounds this time. Other turkeys have been a little heavier. And yes it was fully thawed and even allowed to come up to room temperature for about an hour while we made the stuffing.

I think Hans has an idea. I am going to take the oven out of the wall and put in our RV. Then drive to the coast and see if the oven works right there.

We are going shopping to see what ovens are available. This is a built in combination microwave/oven/convection oven. We have never used the broiler function nor tried the convection oven.
Old 26 December 2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Thanks, that looks very helpful.

I've also noticed that commercial bread from the grocery store looks different here than it did back in the Dallas area. The holes seem to be much bigger here. Have you noticed this up in Denver?
Old 26 December 2018, 04:52 PM

I haven't, but as a self-professed, aforementioned terrible cook, I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Over the years, I helped my mother cook many a Thanksgiving Day turkey (I know they're popular at XMAS, too, but we rarely had one at this time of year), and even she faced challenges from one holiday to the next. I do remember that she would make small changes to the cooking, like experimenting with water pans, tin-foil tents vs. wrapping, and the like, and that she'd never be entirely satisfied with the results.

But for all her prowess of providing us with a delicious meal, passing that secret arcane magic on to her youngest daughter wasn't among them.

I'll usually get one from someone who knows how to cook it, or go out to eat on Thanksgiving Day.

~Psihala
Old 26 December 2018, 09:10 PM

Chef

Do you have an oven thermometer, and have you tested that the oven temperature matches what it's supposed to be?
Old 26 December 2018, 09:19 PM

The oven temperature seems to vary more than it should. We've had a couple of repairmen out to look at it. One control board doesn't test at 100%. I have been able to compensate for uneven temperatures before.

By the way, we turned the oven off after about 5 hours of cooking when the internal temperature was 165. We let it sit for a while, then wrapped the whole thing up and put it in the refrigerator until this noon. It was tasty for lunch but a little dry. We will now have turkey for dinner for the next month and a half.
Old 27 December 2018, 02:13 PM

Flame

The not-so-old oven in our apartment was having the problem of wildly varying temperatures for a few months, then it died completely. It might have been the thermostat or whatever actually lights the gas as the oven cycles, but the landlord just ordered a new one (they don't cost all that much) which works better than any oven I have ever used. Might be worth it to you.

Having just written this I realize yours was probably electric, not gas, so the same thing may not apply.

BTW, the one thing I noticed about packaged food when visiting Las Cruces and Albuquerque was that the bags of chips, popcorn, and the like at the Target were practically swollen due to the higher air pressure wherever they were made.
Old 28 December 2018, 12:42 AM

New combination oven/microwave is $2900. There goes my 500 sq ft garage expansion for another year.

ETA: The microwave wouldn't heat a cup of water for coffee this morning so we decided that it is the temperature control board that has gone bad. We know from previous service calls that this may be bad and is not available. We are cooking a roast tonight and carefully monitoring the temperature as this is a very expensive standing rib roast.

Last edited by RichardM; 28 December 2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 28 December 2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
New combination oven/microwave is $2900.
Yikes!

Wouldn't they be cheaper bought separately?
Old 28 December 2018, 06:40 AM

It should be possible to at least get a decent microwave for a low price.
Old 28 December 2018, 01:45 PM

Is there any reason you need the combo unit? A serviceable range and microwave can be had for less than a quarter of that, and if you need a wall mount oven it shouldn't be much more.
Old 28 December 2018, 02:39 PM

It fits in the available space and uses the existing electrical connection. The joys of living in an old house without attic or above ceiling space to run new wiring. And the kitchen counter space is small enough as is.
Old 28 December 2018, 06:47 PM

Richard, is it a combination of two separate cooking spaces, or do they share one cooking space? Is the oven part smaller than a regular oven? Do you know if it has the same power, is it similarly insulated to a regular oven?
Old 28 December 2018, 06:54 PM

It is 2 separate appliances built into one component. We looked at 2 separate units but the cabinet work to install them would increase the price such that it would actually cost more. C'est la vie.
Old 11 January 2019, 12:38 AM

So, how did the standing rib roast turn out?
Old 11 January 2019, 04:27 PM

Very good!