snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 02 January 2019, 12:10 AM

Sexism against men is not "reverse-sexism". It's just sexism. There's absolutely nothing gender-specific about sexism.
Old 02 January 2019, 12:48 AM

Mouse

And most examples of sexism men faced are, in fact, being addressed by women, because many of them are born out of longstanding prejudices against women.

An example: girls who like sports and traditionally male-oriented activities are called tomboys and so long as the fuzzy line between acceptable and too far isnít crossed, itís considered cute. There is no male equivalent to tomboy, no such thing as, say, a tomgirl. Boys who like traditionally female-oriented activities, are called sissies and far worse names. This is because we still see being female as something shameful.
Old 02 January 2019, 12:54 AM

Is the term tomboy even used anymore? Its an expression my 70+ year old parents would have used.
Old 02 January 2019, 12:57 AM

I still see it, but not often. Usually only to describe a pre-teen girl.
Old 03 January 2019, 04:03 AM

Mouse

Maybe usage of the term isnít as widespread as it once was, but I feel my general thesis remains solid. Society considers it okay for girls to have some masculine traits, so long as it remains within reason and the girls donít get the idea that by displaying these traits, they are equal in worth to men and thus deserving of the same rights. Whereas if a boy displays any feminine traits, itís an appalling offense before the eyes of God and men that will lead to Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
Old 09 January 2019, 08:58 PM

Dear Website Designers:

Your "sign in or give us an email" popup either does not have a way for the user to cancel out or you won't let people browse your e-store without being able to spam them later. Not sure which would be more stupid, but either way I will not be participating in your social experiment.
Old 09 January 2019, 11:16 PM

I remember running into a site like that; you couldn't see anything they had for sale unless you first created an account.

Um, if I could see what's available for sale, then I'd have some idea whether it's worth it to me to create an account there. If I can't find out what they're selling first? Then I strongly suspect that it isn't. Bye, bye.
Old 10 January 2019, 03:29 AM

If you've known me for over ten years, and can't figure out that "Hey, didn't Sarah Palin warn us she could see Russia from her house? Let's build a wall between Alaska and Russia!" was sarcasm, and you think I really believe she said that, that's bad enough. But when you passively-aggressively attack me behind my back over it instead of asking me outright (and it's not the first passive-aggressive attack you've done to me or others who don't believe as you do), then we're done.
Old 10 January 2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Sexism against men is not "reverse-sexism". It's just sexism. There's absolutely nothing gender-specific about sexism.
Why do you see that so differently from racism? It may affect all sexes and genders, but that doesn't mean there's nothin gender specific about it. It's really very gender specific. That's largely what it's all about -- gender specificity and power.
Old 10 January 2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Why do you see that so differently from racism? It may affect all sexes and genders, but that doesn't mean there's nothin gender specific about it. It's really very gender specific. That's largely what it's all about -- gender specificity and power.
That might be true in many or even most cases but I could see an example where someone could be non-specifically bigoted against several different sexes and genders (eg: someone who denigrates non-cishet homosexuals and intersex people and transsexuals etc)

Racism can similarly be specifically against a particular racial/social group or it can be non-specific "people who don't look/talk like me" prejudice.

Bigotry is also a spectrum! :rainbowofhatred:
Old 10 January 2019, 09:13 AM

Whalephant

If I need to bring out my pocket flashlight to read the menu, you need better lighting in your restaurant.
Old 10 January 2019, 12:04 PM

... or glow-in-the-dark menus!
Old 10 January 2019, 12:29 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
... or glow-in-the-dark menus!
Or night vision goggles!

Or neon menus!
Old 10 January 2019, 02:14 PM

Glasses

IMO, sexism is sexism whether (g)you're bigoted against men, women, trans, gays, whatevers. Racism is racism whether (g)you're bigoted against blacks, asians, egyptians, martians or Canadians.

Certain groups suffer much more from sexism and/or racism than others, but just because a group very rarely suffers from either doesn't make it "reverse" when they do.

Seaboe
Old 10 January 2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Because the incident was about discriminating against and punishing men for failing to meet the same "acceptable" narrowly defined gender roles.
Old 11 January 2019, 04:02 PM

Teacher

Rules for speaking (on air) on a radio talk show:

Turn your own radio down
Watch the language--sometimes the host can't hit the dump button quickly enough
It's a dialogue, not a monologue. That means that you and the host have a conversation.
Stick to the subject at hand.

C'mon folks this isn't rocket scientist!
Old 14 January 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
....C'mon folks this isn't rocket scientist!
Old 15 January 2019, 01:15 PM

At the risk of being thought churlish...

Is it really necessary to schedule the funeral procession so as to shut down 30 miles of freeway during morning rush hour?
Old 15 January 2019, 02:02 PM

They did that near where I work a while ago. It was a state trooper who had been died on duty (due to a heart attack), and they had the funeral in one city, and the burial in another, about 15 miles away. They ran the funeral procession down I-95, which means they shut down the busiest highway in the US, just before rush hour. I got stuck in traffic to watch the very long parade of police cars from all over the country, driving along. I was pissed. It wouldn't have been very hard to hold the funeral right by the burial place, since there was a large church there, but I think the police really wanted a parade.
Old 15 January 2019, 02:19 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Is it really necessary to schedule the funeral procession so as to shut down 30 miles of freeway during morning rush hour?
Yes.

Because how else will (g)you understand that the person who died was the center of the universe?

Seaboe