snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 22 June 2018, 02:58 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
I have my doubts Trump signed that EO for any other reason than to turn the heat off. It's designed to cast himself in the best light possible while doing virtually nothing.

The same mentality is behind the rally in Minnesota... as with all his rallies so far... they are designed to remind him how wonderful he is.

~Psihala
Trevor Noah had a quote that perfectly exemplifies Trump, when he said, “Other politicians campaign so they can govern, but Trump governs so he can campaign.”

He’s right. For most politicians, the campaign trail is a gauntlet they endure, so they can get into office and work towards implementing their platform. Campaigning is an exhausting pain in the ass, which forces a politician to basically be ON 24/7, regardless of what personal issues they are dealing with related to the campaign or their personal life.

Trump on the other hand, passes legislation, so he can slap together a massive rally to fellate his ego, by getting his supporters to turn out and cheer about what a great, brave person he is for doing one of the basic parts of the job. For it is very rare for a president to pass legislation and as such, every instance must be received with a celebration as joyous as the one the Allied Forces received when they liberated Paris.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:55 AM

That's because he's got Narcissistic Personality Disorder (or whatever the official term is). He has to receive praise from everyone he sees, all the time.
Old 22 June 2018, 01:01 PM

Shout

The fact that Drumpf has such a cult of personality - and does everything he can to keep it going, to the point of diverting the energy from doing his actual job - is perhaps the scariest thing about him.

Doesn't the "shout" smiley above look like him?
Old 22 June 2018, 04:38 PM

Hmmm.. one of today's Cracked.com articles may have some relevance to the topic. Exactly how much, and in what way, is probably debatable, but I still think it is relevant.
Old 22 June 2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
And people in career civil servant positions are generally pretty miserable. Some have left, and many have thought about what their own personal line will be, that would cause them to quit.
I don't know if the people working the border are described as civil servants but they do work for the government and what I find disheartening is how Trump and his directives have unleashed many of them to act in some truly awful ways. Telling parents they would never see their children again; ripping babies out of their mother's arms; allegedly tying up and beating children? Many who work for the government may be miserable but others are having a field day
Old 22 June 2018, 05:34 PM

If the tying up and beating you are referring to is based on the allegations at the Virginia detention center, that abuse seems to have predated Trump (although I'm sure it did not abate under his administration). And I said generally in what you quoted for a reason. Certainly some government employees are pleased. And there are more of them in certain parts of the government than others.
Old 22 June 2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
If the tying up and beating you are referring to is based on the allegations at the Virginia detention center, that abuse seems to have predated Trump (although I'm sure it did not abate under his administration).
That's what I mean by disheartening. Trump didn't just come into the picture and started hiring goons. The goons have always been among us.
Old 22 June 2018, 05:51 PM

Devil

I have said it, and I will repeat it here:

Stephen Miller is what happens to pond scum that earns bad karma and gets reincarnated as something worse as punishment.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:18 PM

Except that the punishment seems to be for the rest of us.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Except that the punishment seems to be for the rest of us.
The only thing I can hold onto is that nothing lasts forever and that eventually the enablers and the hangers on will face the consquences of their choices. That doesn't mean jail (although for some it certainly should) but a lot of garbage is going to get swept out of the WH and sooner rather than later is the dream.
Old 25 June 2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
The only thing I can hold onto is that nothing lasts forever and that eventually the enablers and the hangers on will face the consquences of their choices. That doesn't mean jail (although for some it certainly should) but a lot of garbage is going to get swept out of the WH and sooner rather than later is the dream.
From your mouth to God's ear. Don't forget that the Republican party only need a couple of state legislatures to tip there way in November to start looking at changing the constitution. Trump has admired at least two rulers-for-life.
Old 25 June 2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I don't know if the people working the border are described as civil servants but they do work for the government and what I find disheartening is how Trump and his directives have unleashed many of them to act in some truly awful ways. Telling parents they would never see their children again; ripping babies out of their mother's arms; allegedly tying up and beating children? Many who work for the government may be miserable but others are having a field day
Possibly relevant article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/23/u...cy-border.html

Quote:
As some officials supported the seizing of children from their migrant parents under orders from the White House, others felt helpless in their cubicles, shed tears and went home wracked with guilt.

[ . . . ]

“There’s an eye-of-the-hurricane feeling,” said an ICE official involved in the deportation of a 6-year-old boy who was separated from his father. The official had “no idea” where the boy’s father was and had considered quitting in recent weeks, but decided to stay “to provide balance and bear witness and see it through.”
How they're going to vote this fall I have no idea.
Old 25 June 2018, 05:33 PM

Default Trump's Family Separation Scandal Has Revealed Every Species of Hypocrite

The heated controversy over Trump's awful family separation policy has been like one of those bug-zapping lights people stick next to pools – it's attracted virtually every species of hypocrite in American public life.

The most conspicuous and ridiculous of these are the hand-over-heart never-Trump Republicans who – after decades of pushing vicious anti-immigrant rhetoric themselves – are now coming out of the woodwork to talk about how mistreatment of the undocumented is contrary to "our principles and values."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...candal-w521824
Old 25 June 2018, 05:37 PM

Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Trump on the other hand, passes legislation, so he can slap together a massive rally to fellate his ego, by getting his supporters to turn out and cheer about what a great, brave person he is for doing one of the basic parts of the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That's because he's got Narcissistic Personality Disorder (or whatever the official term is). He has to receive praise from everyone he sees, all the time.
I am reminded of a story I read about Bob Hope. The stress of performing constantly was wearing him down, and his doctor recommended he take a vacation. He planned a two-week fishing trip and flew off to a placid lake in the country, only to return after just two days. When he was asked why he had cut the trip short, he replied simply: "Fish don't applaud!"
Old 27 June 2018, 10:49 AM

Default Homeland Security staff urged to lock doors, windows

Homeland Security officials suggested employees lock doors and windows and remove badges when in public, warning of heightened threats amid the rancorous immigration debate.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire..._headlines_hed
Old 27 June 2018, 12:49 PM

Making the outgroup unsafe does not lead to feelings of safety in the ingroup.

Case in point.
Old 27 June 2018, 12:53 PM

Canada

Let's hope that no one gets hurt on either side but before Trump and his minions get too carried away assuming they are the only potential victims of violence and threats they should look at what happens when anyone dares to stand up to Trump or one of his minions. One example:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ters-1.4721521

Of course, the idiots couldn't get the restaurant or the country right before going on the attack .
Old 27 June 2018, 12:57 PM

Just remember, the Republicans are the real victims here! Those evil liberals, constantly viciously attacking poor, innocent people who are just trying to dehumanize immigrants and women. Why some of the poor Republicans have not been able to go to their choice of restaurants, or been insulted!
Old 27 June 2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Of course, the idiots couldn't get the restaurant or the country right before going on the attack .
Au contraire. Internet logic holds that any entity that is similar to the target of derision is close enough for horseshoes.

~Psihala
Old 27 June 2018, 07:52 PM

Default Jeff Sessions jokes about separated families to laughing crowd

Attorney General Jeff Sessions cracked a joke about the administration’s immigration chaos, and was greeted with laughs at the idea of separated families.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/polit...J5V?li=AAggv0m

Hilary Clinton nailed it - these are truly deplorable people.