snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 11 April 2018, 03:09 PM

United States Speaker Paul Ryan will not seek re-election

Article here.

The screw you guys, I'm going home! press conference has just concluded.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 11 April 2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11 April 2018, 03:42 PM

I'm guessing we'll see a lot more anti-Trump statements from Speaker Ryan now.
Old 11 April 2018, 03:43 PM

Love the congratulatory tweet from Trump, who I'm guessing is a big part of why Ryan made the decision.
Old 11 April 2018, 05:22 PM

Ponder

I often wonder how much of a resignation/not seeking re-election is less of a I-want-to-see-my-kids-grow-up/spend-more-time-with-my-family and more of a I-can't-stand-this-person-but-I-don't-want-to-make-it-public.
Old 11 April 2018, 05:55 PM

And while this might not be true for Ryan (or maybe it is?) I'm sure a lot of the time it's also a case of "I stand a good chance of not being re-elected, I'm going out on my own terms not because someone handed me my hat and showed me the door".
Old 11 April 2018, 06:20 PM

Let's see, he oversaw a massive tax cut and increase in spending, to ensure that the US national debt continues to rise into the foreseeable future, and then said "OK, I am outta here!" Good job selling the Republicans as the fiscally conservative party.
Old 11 April 2018, 07:12 PM

And, this announcement comes after the primaries, allowing the Wisconsin Republican Party to put a candidate on the ballot without those pesky primary voters getting in the way.
Old 11 April 2018, 07:16 PM

Why should we involve voters? They are probably busy doing other things. It is a convenience for them, really.
Old 11 April 2018, 10:30 PM

Furious Koch Brothers Sell Paul Ryan on eBay

(Unfortunately I think the headline is funnier than the story, but the headline was worth it...)

I also remember a quote from a fairly obscure novel that seems appropriate (roughly, from memory): "I always heard that the rats were the first to desert a sinking ship. But I never realized the rats were also the sons of bitches who sank the ship in the first place."

Last edited by E. Q. Taft; 11 April 2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12 April 2018, 05:21 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'm guessing we'll see a lot more anti-Trump statements from Speaker Ryan now.
Probably. Few are so brave as someone who refuses to speak out against someone who poses a threat, lest it cost them their career. God bless the brave, steadfast GOP.

If the GOP really cared about principles, if they were genuinely shocked and horrified by Trump's actions or by Neo-Nazis representing their party, it's not like they're completely helpless to do anything about it.

They could kick them out of the party, being like, "You can run for whatever office you want, but not as a Republican." The idea isn't entirely unprecedented. John Tyler was ultimately kicked out of the party he had served. Or they could do what they did to Joe McCarthy, who was censured and ultimately driven out by the GOP, aka the party he was actually a member of.

But time and time again, the GOP opts out of doing anything, beyond whining ineffectually or waiting until they no longer have to worry about reelection to make stronger critiques. I wonder why.
Old 12 April 2018, 03:36 PM

I don't think there are actually any provisions in the USA for party leaders to kick somebody out of a party. If the person wins a primary, they can run on that line.

There are other things that Republicans in Congress could do, of course. They could vote against bills they disagree with. They could call for censuring people who they feel are sufficiently out of line. They could publicly, loudly, and clearly denounce such people. They could even announce they're going to conference with the Democrats, or at least that they're going to vote with the Democrats on specific issues.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:06 PM

AIUI, the US does not officially recognize political parties as political entities, they are considered private organizations for the most part. A member of the Republican or Democratic party (someone who specifically joined a state or national committee, not just a registered voter) could be be expelled from that group.
Old 12 April 2018, 05:29 PM

GenYus, do you know any specific process for their doing so?

IIRC, a number of Republicans did denounce an avowed Nazi who got on a state ballot as a Republican lately; but they appear to have no way to get him off the ballot or off that line. He won the primary; very likely only because the Republicans didn't put up anybody else, but still, he won the primary. -- ah yes, Arthur Jones.
Old 12 April 2018, 05:45 PM

AFAIK, he's not a member of a state or national committee, simply running on a ballot. As such, the party would not be able to take prevent him from running (nor should they be able to). They can refuse to use any GOP funds to support his campaign but I think that's about the limit. I don't even think they can prevent him from using the Republican party name in his ads or on the ballot.

What I was talking about was essentially someone being fired from their job as a committee member, like how the Republican party tried to expell Dave Agema from the committee.

Each state and the national committee may have different rules. The California Democratic Party can remove a member or officer after a hearing (pdf).
Old 12 April 2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
And while this might not be true for Ryan (or maybe it is?) I'm sure a lot of the time it's also a case of "I stand a good chance of not being re-elected, I'm going out on my own terms not because someone handed me my hat and showed me the door".
On NPR's Morning Edition this morning there was in interview with the head of the National Republican Congressional Committee. The interviewer kept pressing him on why, in addition to Ryan, a much higher than usual number of Republican Representatives are choosing not to run for reelection. He kept insisting that, no, really, all these Congressmen are stepping down for personal reasons.
Old 12 April 2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
GenYus, do you know any specific process for their doing so?

IIRC, a number of Republicans did denounce an avowed Nazi who got on a state ballot as a Republican lately; but they appear to have no way to get him off the ballot or off that line. He won the primary; very likely only because the Republicans didn't put up anybody else, but still, he won the primary. -- ah yes, Arthur Jones.
Gotta love Illinois politics! Jones tried to run before, and there were enough successful challenges to his petitions that he was kept off the primary ballot. This time, he submitted twice as many signatures as needed, and about 15 minutes before the filing deadline, so that the Republicans didn't have a chance to get someone to run against him. The good news is that he's running in a very very Democratic district. The bad news is that there will be people voting for him.
Old 13 April 2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I don't even think they can prevent him from using the Republican party name in his ads or on the ballot.
But if the Republican party is a private organisation, wouldn't it's name and logo be considered something like a trademark? Maybe even be registered as one? Shouldn't you be able to keep somebody from using your organisation's name if he's not a member?
Old 13 April 2018, 12:29 PM

You don't need to use the name or logo of the Republican party to run as a Republican candidate. You just need to identify yourself as a Republican, and (in some cases) win a Republican primary.
Old 13 April 2018, 02:15 PM

Aside from the Onion's selling of Ryan on eBay headline/story, this appreciation of Paul Ryan was the best one that I have read.
Reagan once said that the first rule of the Republican Party was to say no evil thing about another Republican. Looks like NPR will be carrying a story about WV's Republican U.S. Senate Primary which ignores Ron's dictum this evening on All Things Considered. This race is a train wreck with the three leading candidates being a Congressman (Evan Jenkins) who has run for office as both a Republican and a Democrat, the Attorney General (Patrick Morrisey) originally an Inside the Beltway lobbyist, and a convicted coal operator (Don Blankenship, only a federal misdeameanor, so he can run for office) who killed 29 miners at his Upper Big Branch mine in 2010.
Surprisingly, they have nothing good to say about each other. I look forward to hearing this NPR piece.

Ali
Old 13 April 2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
What I was talking about was essentially someone being fired from their job as a committee member
Oh yes, they can certainly do that.

That's not what I think of as being thrown out of the entire party, however. Again, I don't think they've got any way of either stopping somebody from publicly calling themselves a Republican, or stopping somebody from running on the Republican line on the ballot if the person's met the state requirements for doing so. It's easier to get on the ballot on a given line with endorsement from party officials -- in some cases much easier -- but it's possible to do so despite their vehement opposition.