snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 23 March 2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moku View Post
Paladin? That lamp that spoke to whatsis name? That used to creep me out. What was the show called?
Glen Michael's Cavalcade. And really, I was much too old for it when we did move to Scotland, but it's seeped into my memories nevertheless!
Old 23 March 2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
@Andrew of Ware
I think all you mean about Scottish banknotes is that they don't look familiar to *you*.. Those of us who deal with them daily probably don't notice their design any more than you notice the design of BoE notes.
Yes, they're really perfectly ordinary-looking. I always found the "bank of toytown" thing a bit annoying. And I always liked the fiver with the mouse on...
Old 23 March 2013, 04:56 PM

A YouGov opinion poll this week suggests that:
  • 56% of people want Scotland to remain part of the UK
  • 17% of people want Scotland to leave the UK but keep the pound sterling (the SNP's position)
  • 10% of people want Scotland to leave the UK and create its own currency
Old 23 March 2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
@Andrew of Ware
I think all you mean about Scottish banknotes is that they don't look familiar to *you*.. Those of us who deal with them daily probably don't notice their design any more than you notice the design of BoE notes.
Oh, they're perfectly familiar to me. My dad was brought up in Edinburgh and we went up there every year to visit gran. She always sent us Scottish pound notes on our birthdays and at Christmas. I often go on holiday to Scotland. As each Scottish bank issues its own notes there are many designs and having Clydesdale Bank (or some other local bank name) did not have the gravitas of Bank of England.
Old 23 March 2013, 09:49 PM

I wonder if they're going to reprint the RBS ones to say "The bearer guarantees to pay the Royal Bank of Scotland the sum of 10 on demand"?
Old 24 March 2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
A YouGov opinion poll this week suggests that:
  • 56% of people want Scotland to remain part of the UK
  • 17% of people want Scotland to leave the UK but keep the pound sterling (the SNP's position)
  • 10% of people want Scotland to leave the UK and create its own currency
What about the other 17%?
Old 25 March 2013, 01:06 PM

"Undecided/No Opinion" most likely - not the worst position to hold 18 months out from the actual vote.
Old 25 March 2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embra View Post
And I always liked the fiver with the mouse on...
No True Scotsman would be spending a fiver on anything...
Old 04 April 2013, 12:40 PM

I've finally completed by my full blog post on the Referendum
Old 05 April 2013, 01:51 PM

Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I do wonder if Scotland can stand alone, especially economically. Tourism and whisky exports will not pay back English, Northern Irish and Welsh taxpayers towards the billions given to bail out the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Setting aside the specific RBS problem, would Tourism and Whisky be the only economic assets of an independent Scotland? There was "Silicon Glen", but I don't know what is left of that after the IT bubble popped. Additionally, most of the British oil and gas are actually off the Scottish coast - raising the question if those resources would be transfered to the new nation.
Old 05 April 2013, 03:00 PM

I have been wondering about the oil and gas from the North Sea. As most of the money to develop it came from English, Northern Irish and Welsh tax payers then these countries must have a call to a lot of the profits.
Old 05 April 2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I have been wondering about the oil and gas from the North Sea. As most of the money to develop it came from English, Northern Irish and Welsh tax payers then these countries must have a call to a lot of the profits.
As far as I can tell, that's not how international law works. The rest of the UK would have no more claim on Scottish oil than Scotland would have on English or Welsh coal.
Old 05 April 2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I think the money to develop it came from private companies, but the very significant taxes raised on the oil have been enjoyed by successive governments of the whole of the UK.

As BringTheNoise observes, there wouldn't be any grounds for reimbursement in any case.

I think the Shetlanders have pointed out that it is actually their oil, and there is no reason to assume that the Shetlands must automatically follow the Scots if Scotland goes independent. But if they did, then I don't see that the rest of the UK could have any claim against Scottish oil revenues.
Old 05 April 2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Fizz View Post
I think the Shetlanders have pointed out that it is actually their oil, and there is no reason to assume that the Shetlands must automatically follow the Scots if Scotland goes independent.
Well, apart from the important reason that Shetland isn't being offered independence separate from the rest of Scotland. Shetland can no more demand that their local results be treated separately than the people of Dumfriesshire, Dundee or anywhere else.
Old 05 April 2013, 04:57 PM

Orkney and Shetland could make reasonable claims for independence of their own, though - or at least claim that they're historically part of Norway not Scotland.

I seem to remember from the last time I looked at this, that because the border between England and Scotland is actually SW to NE (in fact I think it's closer to running North - South than East - West), if you extend it to split the gas fields then more of them than you'd think are on the English side of the line anyway.
Old 08 April 2013, 07:37 AM

Richard, you wouldn't extend the border on land into the sea to determine the sea (and more importantly, the continental shelf border). When territorial seas overlap, the border "is taken as the median point between the states' baselines" (Wikipedia). In the case of a land border hitting the shore, that usually means that the sea border extends vertically to what the baseline at that point is. Judging from Google Maps, it would probably extend in a north-east-to-east direction on the east coast of Scotland / England.

I've got no idea about where the oil and gas fields actually are in the North Sea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Orkney and Shetland could make reasonable claims for independence of their own, though - or at least claim that they're historically part of Norway not Scotland.
Didn't the Orkney Islands once ask Norway to become part of their country as a publicity action in protest to the construction of the Dounreay nuclear power plant?

Last edited by Don Enrico; 08 April 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08 April 2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Shetland and Orkney have been part of Scotland since the 15th (and only became Norwegian when they were invaded in the 9th Century). Historical arguments in this regard are a bit dodgy, I'd say.

Generally, however, I accept that they have as much right as anywhere else to seek independence - but bringing it up now with regard to oil and gas is a bit of a red herring, as it's not on the table.
Old 08 April 2013, 04:20 PM

From the Guardian, 17th March 2013:

As the first minister, Alex Salmond, looks south and campaigns for an independent Scotland, leaders in Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles to his north have quietly begun talks among themselves about their own "home rule".

The three leaders, who run the three largest island groups in the British isles, will meet in Shetland on Monday 25 March to discuss a joint project on whether they should demand a split from the Scottish and UK governments after the Scottish independence referendum in 2014 the date of which is expected to be announced in Holyrood on Thursday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...ands-home-rule
Old 08 April 2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
Shetland and Orkney have been part of Scotland since the 15th (and only became Norwegian when they were invaded in the 9th Century). Historical arguments in this regard are a bit dodgy, I'd say.
Scotland's been part of the UK since the early 18th Century. Your point?

(eta) Technically, the (united) Kingdom of Great Britain at that point, I suppose. It's only been part of the United (capital U) Kingdom since 1801, but then again, so has England. And we've both only been part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland since 1922. As you say, historical arguments in this regard are a bit dodgy...

(eta again) I only just got round to reading your blog piece. That was pretty interesting - I didn't know some of those things...

Last edited by Richard W; 08 April 2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 18 September 2013, 10:09 AM

If Scotland votes for independence next year then they are claiming they will have a separate team in the 2016 Olympics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/24081596

I suppose that depends on when Scotland actually becomes independent and if it can meet the IOC's strict rules. It might be like South Sedan at the London Olympics which (I am told) competed under the IOC Flag.

I am wondering if this is a desperate attempt by the SNP to get more people in favour of independence - opinion polls seem to suggest that support for an independent Scotland is dwindling.