snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 21 March 2013, 03:44 PM

United Kingdom [Scottish Independence] Referendum Set

The referendum will take place on September 18th 2014

A Bill has been introduced to Parliament to this effect. A separate Bill is already being debated regarding allowing 16 and 17 year olds to vote in the Referendum

I've posted a few thoughts to my blog:

Quote:
I'm planning a longer and more in depth post on this in the near future, but my snap judgement is that Scotland will not vote for independence, and that staying in the Union is the best thing for the country in the long term.
Old 22 March 2013, 12:00 AM

Interesting... here we go then!

I find I don't have a strong opinion on the matter any more: I think I would have felt more strongly against it in the 90s, when independence seemed to arise so often alongside an expression of anti-English sentiment. Not to mention the fact that it's now a long time since I've actually lived in Scotland: I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse any more...

Of course, if there is a yes, England is basically abandoned to the right...
Old 22 March 2013, 12:47 AM

That's my fear as well. Perpetual Cameron. (Shudders)

Independence will be bad for the UK, I feel, but a disaster for Scotland.
Old 22 March 2013, 12:56 AM

United Kingdom

The question is can Scotland economically stand on its own and is their government sound enough to rule without the backing of Parliament? Independance is all well and good, but if a country cannot stand alone that independance will be doomed before it barely begins.
Old 22 March 2013, 01:04 AM

Scotland has had its own Parliament since 1999 (I think that was the date) and of course it did have a Parliament before the creation of Great Britain in 1707. It was not as highly developed as the English Parliament of the time, though.

I do wonder if Scotland can stand alone, especially economically. Tourism and whisky exports will not pay back English, Northern Irish and Welsh taxpayers towards the billions given to bail out the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Old 22 March 2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
Scotland has had its own Parliament since 1999 (I think that was the date)
It was - I was there! (I represented my school in a parade - I still have the sweatshirt and waterproof jacket we got for free somewhere in my parents' house).

Quote:
I do wonder if Scotland can stand alone, especially economically. Tourism and whisky exports will not pay back English, Northern Irish and Welsh taxpayers towards the billions given to bail out the Royal Bank of Scotland.
The question of how to share out the UK's debts is definitely a big one. I'm not sure Scotland should take the whole of the debt for RBS though - NatWest and Ulster Bank were part of that group.
Old 22 March 2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Red View Post
The question is can Scotland economically stand on its own and is their government sound enough to rule without the backing of Parliament? Independance is all well and good, but if a country cannot stand alone that independance will be doomed before it barely begins.
What do you mean by "sound" in that context?
Old 22 March 2013, 12:54 PM

Will you be able to manage without any proper English politicians to help?
Old 22 March 2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Red View Post
The question is can Scotland economically stand on its own and is their government sound enough to rule without the backing of Parliament?
I'm against Scottish independence and plan to vote that way next year, but I'm sure that if we wanted to, we could form a government that could stand on its own. After all, the Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government currently deal with all matters except the constitution, defence and international relations and I don't think it's beyond us to deal with those things as well.
Old 22 March 2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Will you be able to manage without any proper English politicians to help?
Jings! Crivvens! Help ma Boab! Us Scots can legislate on agriculture, fisheries and forestry, economic development, education, environment, food standards, health, home affairs, Scots law, courts, police and fire services, local government, sport and the arts, transport, tourism, research and social work but we widnae ken how to sort oot defence unless an Englishman showed us how!

Nah, don't see it myself Actually this whole independence thing has gotten out of hand - all we really wanted was English people to stop looking suspiciously at Scottish banknotes.
Old 22 March 2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Nah, don't see it myself Actually this whole independence thing has gotten out of hand - all we really wanted was English people to stop looking suspiciously at Scottish banknotes.
Well it is the Scottish backnotes fault for looking so suspicious in the first place.
Old 22 March 2013, 04:11 PM

I'm afraid to say that Scottish banknotes do look a bit like glorified Monopoly money, but there again so do Euros. I presume Scotland, if it does vote for independence will not adopt the Euro. I believe it will keep the monarchy.

What really troubles me is what will Team GB be called at the Olympics if Scotland does go it alone? We can hardly call it Team GB minus Scotland plus Northern Ireland.
Old 22 March 2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid to say that Scottish banknotes do look a bit like glorified Monopoly money, but there again so do Euros. I presume Scotland, if it does vote for independence will not adopt the Euro. I believe it will keep the monarchy.

Yeah when Australian money changed a few years ago, people said the same thing. My theory is that this is because it is so obviously meant to be money, but not as we know it (). When it is first introduced it still has that "unused" look about it (unlike money from over countries which looks well worn). Therefore it looks like "play" money.

Quote:
What really troubles me is what will Team GB be called at the Olympics if Scotland does go it alone? We can hardly call it Team GB minus Scotland plus Northern Ireland.
Why not, it's very catchy It can be shortened to TGBMSPNI.
Old 22 March 2013, 04:32 PM

I still don't understand why it's not "Team UK" already. That's more accurate and has fewer dubious political connotations than "Team GB". And we wouldn't need to change it if Scotland went.
Old 22 March 2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moku View Post
What do you mean by "sound" in that context?
I guess I meant strong enough to stand on its own, which sounds true that it can from what other Snopesters have said.

Quote:
Didn't the former Soviet Union have a really catchy name when they entered the 1992 Olympics, maybe Great Britain can steal that name.
Old 22 March 2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I know want to see Team GB minus Scotland plus Northern Ireland play Team Former Yugoslav Republic Of Macedonia...

Andrew, you may have changed my vote!
Old 22 March 2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
I'm against Scottish independence and plan to vote that way next year, but I'm sure that if we wanted to, we could form a government that could stand on its own. .
Why are you against it? My mother is very into all this but I am not. She always says that's our history but my family moved here around 200 years ago. I know she went to Scotland a few years ago as a tourist.
Old 22 March 2013, 10:49 PM

Bad day at work and now this thread is making me lol. Thank you everyone

Alex Salmond is The Most Canny Politician in the world: I have never seen or heard him ruffled in an interview. I admire and distrust him in equal measure for that!

Anyhow. As my twitter feed is all full of bleeding heart human rights things (for work, of course. At home I'm a perfect monster), I like the incorporation of the human rights agenda into the Scottish body politic. I am a bit worried that Scots are not as nice as Alex Salmond wants us to be...

What's that Paladin? [/childhood]
Old 23 March 2013, 12:41 PM

Paladin? That lamp that spoke to whatsis name? That used to creep me out. What was the show called?
Old 23 March 2013, 12:44 PM

@Andrew of Ware
I think all you mean about Scottish banknotes is that they don't look familiar to *you*.. Those of us who deal with them daily probably don't notice their design any more than you notice the design of BoE notes.