snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 09 August 2018, 10:12 PM

After being able to answer almost all of 'em last week, I only get one this week...

3. What TV series was inspired by Carl Reiner's stint as a writer-performer on Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shoes? Laugh-In.
Old 10 August 2018, 01:36 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
After being able to answer almost all of 'em last week, I only get one this week...

3. What TV series was inspired by Carl Reiner's stint as a writer-performer on Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shoes?
Unfortunately, I don't think you got that one either. The correct answer is semi-obvious to folks as old as me who grew up watching American TV comedy - unless Ken's throwing us a real curve ball on this.

On the other hand, now that I see the question isolated, I notice an error in the question as well: Sid Caesar's program was Your Show of Shows. Your Show of Shoes sounds like it would be either very dull or very exciting, depending on exactly how it was done. Or it could be the Mandela effect at work: this was the show everyone says was hosted by Caesar, but in reality it was Ed Sullivan.
Old 14 August 2018, 11:29 AM

Hello all and welcome to another Tuesday trivia.

ChasFink pointed out a typo in one of the questions last week and youmay notice that it's still there in the answer. Obviously, nobody pointed this one out to Mr. Jennings.

Here we go again. As always, the question 7 is delayed one week as per Ken Jennings' request.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Walter Gropius, Hannes Meyer, and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe were the three directors of what influential institution?
These architects were the directors of the legendary Bauhaus.

2. The first NASA communications satellite, launched in 1960, shared its name with what nymph from Greek myth?
Before Telstar, the very first communications satellite just bounced microwave signals back to Earth, so it was given the appropriate name "Echo."

3. What TV series was inspired by Carl Reiner's stint as a writer-performer on Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shoes?
Carl Reiner later created a sitcom largely set in a TV comedy writers' room: The Dick Van Dyke Show.

4. What color does sodium hydroxide turn litmus paper?
Sodium hydroxide is a strong base, and bases turn litmus paper blue.

5. In 1974, what sport reinstated its ban on left-handed players, to avoid dangerous head-on collisions?
If you're left-handed, you are destined to never become a truly great polo player.

6. What Spanish fashion retailer was originally named for an iconic Anthony Quinn film before a 1975 name tweak?
"Zara" was originally "Zorba," apparently.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these world rivers, and no others? Congo, Danube, Mekong, Niger, Nile, Rio de la Plata.
Those are the only rivers in the world that flow past more than one national capital city.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What king of Epirus suffered massive casualties in defeating the Romans at the Battle of Asculum in 279 BC?

2. The famous "Costume Institute Gala" is held on the first Monday every May at what New York City landmark?

3. What valuable type of sapphire contains inclusions of rutile that refract light in a distinctive six- or twelve-rayed pattern?

4. What nickname does radio DJ Barry Hansen use for the novelty music show he's been brodcasting or streaming weekly since 1970?

5. Which world capital sits on the Spree River?

6. What phrase did economist William Foster Lloyd coin in 1833 for the sad situation of a public good being spoiled by overuse?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Baldassare Castiglione, Vasco da Gama, Maurice Maeterlinck, Alfred von Schlieffen, Titian, Leo Tolstoy, Andreas Vesalius, Alessandro Volta, Ferdinand von Zeppelin.

Enjoy!
Old 14 August 2018, 11:52 AM

5. Which world capital sits on the Spree River?

Berlin
Old 14 August 2018, 11:55 AM

1. What king of Epirus suffered massive casualties in defeating the Romans at the Battle of Asculum in 279 BC? ? Pyrrhus

4. What nickname does radio DJ Barry Hansen use for the novelty music show he's been brodcasting or streaming weekly since 1970? Doctor Demento?

5. Which world capital sits on the Spree River? Berlin?

6. What phrase did economist William Foster Lloyd coin in 1833 for the sad situation of a public good being spoiled by overuse? the Tragedy of the Commons
Old 14 August 2018, 12:09 PM

I like last week's number 7. I feel like I almost got it, as usual, and definitely should have done... I've even been up the Danube on a hydrofoil and visited three of the capitals it goes through (Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna). They must cross more borders than I'd thought, although in the case of the Congo I think it actually forms the border and the two capitals are on opposite sides of the river. Some of the others might be like that - off to look at Google Earth after this!

I'm not doing well this week, though.

1. Pyrrhus.

2 - 4. Don't know.

5. Gaah, I should know this one. Fairly sure it's Berlin but I should be completely sure!

6. The tragedy of the commons.

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Baldassare Castiglione, Vasco da Gama, Maurice Maeterlinck, Alfred von Schlieffen, Titian, Leo Tolstoy, Andreas Vesalius, Alessandro Volta, Ferdinand von Zeppelin.
Hmm. Several had things named after them but I don't think that's it. Several of them were titled / nobility - I hadn't thought Titian was, but maybe. Did they all have the same title (Count perhaps)? That could be right... it matches several, and it's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 14 August 2018, 02:06 PM

2. The famous "Costume Institute Gala" is held on the first Monday every May at what New York City landmark? The Met.

3. What valuable type of sapphire contains inclusions of rutile that refract light in a distinctive six- or twelve-rayed pattern? Star?
Old 15 August 2018, 12:35 PM

1. Pyrrhus.

2. The Met.

3. My knowledge of sapphire and rutile does not really extend beyond Steven Universe.

4. Dr. Demento.

5. Berlin.

6. Tragedy of the Commons.

7. No idea.
Old 15 August 2018, 02:31 PM

Baseball 2 this week. I'm slowing down.

1. I know the name Pyrrhic Victory comes from it. I believe Pyrrhus was the leader.

2. New York has so many landmarks. I have no clue. Statue of Liberty. Although, I like the name "Costume Institute Gala". Its acronym is CIG. My current job title is also named CIG, and some days I feel like I'm wearing a costume...

3. I only know the Quantum Gemerald. No sapphires.

4. A fave from my teen years. Dr Demento.

5. No clue. I know of Graf Spree, the German warship. So, I'll guess Berlin.

6. Trickle down economics.

7. They all had red hair.