snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 01 February 2017, 09:38 PM

Bacon Nation's bacon reserves hit 50-year low

The country's bacon reserves are at the lowest levels in half a century. In other words, pig farmers can't keep up with the world's sizzling appetite for those fatty, smoky strips of sheer eating pleasure. The Ohio Pork Council, a Columbus-based non-profit, reported Tuesday that demand for frozen pork belly, frequently made into bacon, is outpacing supply.

http://www.9news.com/mb/life/food/un...-low/395271986

The report comes out of Cincinnati, but I regret to inform you that the reporter's name was not Les Nesman.

Trigger warning: the link opens to a full-screen photo of many strips of bacon sizzling on a griddle. Well, it triggered my appetite anyway.
Old 01 February 2017, 10:23 PM

Baseball

Quote:
In December 2016, frozen pork belly inventory totaled 17.8 million pounds, the lowest level since 1957, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Compared to the title:

Quote:
Nation's bacon reserves hit 50-year low
2017-1957 = 60

It's worse than reported

I saw this story on Facebook earlier today and tonight during my weekly grocery shopping I saw bacon on sale, $5.50 for a kg of bacon. Roughly $4.25 US per kg or $1.92 per pound (I used an online converter).

I don't regularly eat bacon, it not being something I particularly like. But I did tonight. I've got company coming over in the next week and it'll be bacon sandwiches for lunch!
Old 01 February 2017, 10:26 PM

So really, we need more Muslims, not less.
Old 01 February 2017, 11:45 PM

Public radio's Marketplace said this afternoon that there really isn't a bacon shortage. While the supply of frozen pork bellies has hit a low, there are more hogs coming to replenish the supply. It's not like we're going to run out of bacon. The idea of a bacon shortage is just clever marketing by the pork industry. Cite, although not the radio story I heard, as that was just a short blurb and doesn't appear on their web site.
Old 02 February 2017, 12:01 AM

Bang Head

Argh! I'm so tired of people gonig on and on about bacon! And the zombie apocalypse. :chinscratch:

It seems like people became obsessed with bacon around the time zombie movies made a resurgence. Could there be a relationship between zombies and bacon? Zombie pigs, perhaps?
Old 02 February 2017, 12:03 AM

Mouse

If you're bit by a zombie pig, do you turn into a zombie, a pig. or a zombie pig?
Old 02 February 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
So really, we need more Muslims, not less.
And more Jews, as well.
Old 02 February 2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
And more Jews, as well.
And hail the vegetarian and vegan heroes who sacrifice their bacon so the rest of us may have a good breakfast.
Old 02 February 2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Argh! I'm so tired of people gonig on and on about bacon!
You and me both. Especially since, in America at least, that usually means a wafer thin slice of pork fat, fried to the brink of instant carcinogenesis.
Old 02 February 2017, 08:08 AM

Whalephant

And Trump is doing nothing about this. This takes priority over everything but chocolate shortages.
Old 02 February 2017, 12:20 PM

Pig

Well I had a homemade burger with bacon for dinner. I still have several rashers in the freezer.
Old 02 February 2017, 01:39 PM

Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
While the supply of frozen pork bellies has hit a low, there are more hogs coming to replenish the supply. It's not like we're going to run out of bacon.
Isn't that just the common "pork cycle" at work?

High demand means high prices means more farmers decide to produce more pigs means high supply means low prices means less pig production means low supply means high prices means...
Old 03 February 2017, 12:10 PM

This never would have happened if Clinton had won the election.
Old 03 February 2017, 12:52 PM

I haven't had good bacon since I left Canada. *sigh*. And NO, it's not Canadian bacon. It's the maple cured stuff that I miss.

OY
Old 03 February 2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Isn't that just the common "pork cycle" at work?

High demand means high prices means more farmers decide to produce more pigs means high supply means low prices means less pig production means low supply means high prices means...
In theory.

There's now something of a problem with that. Years ago, people raised pigs as part of mixed farm businesses that could easily shift production from one year to another, and using buildings etc. that could be used for other species. Now, there are often people with a large amount of money invested in buildings and overall setups designed only for one species, because they're more efficient for that particular species; so, even if the price is poor, people caught in this trap may actually try to respond by producing more pigs, in the hope of making up for a smaller income per pig.

Doesn't work well when the income per pig drops to negative, of course . . .
Old 03 February 2017, 02:42 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
I haven't had good bacon since I left Canada. *sigh*. And NO, it's not Canadian bacon. It's the maple cured stuff that I miss.

OY
I do like the maple cured bacon on a sandwich.

I grew up with peameal bacon. And we knew that as bacon. Then, as I got older I saw that others were calling this fatty, greasy strip of meat bacon. Unfortunately, peameal bacon is so freaking expensive.

Else, I'd eat it four days per week instead of 4 days per year.
Old 03 February 2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Unfortunately, peameal bacon is so freaking expensive.
Peameal bacon is made from pork loin, which is fairly inexpensive to buy, at least here in SC.

Recipe here.

OY
Old 03 February 2017, 03:08 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
Peameal bacon is made from pork loin, which is fairly inexpensive to buy, at least here in SC.
Oooooh. But I'm not about to risk a border crossing just to get peameal bacon. On the other hand, the people that the US government wants to keep out don't eat bacon....
Old 03 February 2017, 04:36 PM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
In theory.

There's now something of a problem with that. Years ago, people raised pigs as part of mixed farm businesses that could easily shift production from one year to another, and using buildings etc. that could be used for other species. Now, there are often people with a large amount of money invested in buildings and overall setups designed only for one species, because they're more efficient for that particular species; so, even if the price is poor, people caught in this trap may actually try to respond by producing more pigs, in the hope of making up for a smaller income per pig.

Doesn't work well when the income per pig drops to negative, of course . . .
Isn't that the sort of thing federal farm subsidies are supposed to prevent? This is probably a gross oversimplification, but I thought the subsidies were to essentially pay farmers to not produce so much in times like that to prevent a surplus of agricultural commodities to in turn prevent the prices from dropping too low.
Old 04 February 2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Isn't that the sort of thing federal farm subsidies are supposed to prevent? This is probably a gross oversimplification, but I thought the subsidies were to essentially pay farmers to not produce so much in times like that to prevent a surplus of agricultural commodities to in turn prevent the prices from dropping too low.
Some subsidies for some crops are supposed to work like that, yes.

As near as I can tell on a fast search, however (I'm not a livestock producer, and not well up on that area), current pork subsidies in the USA tend to either pay for attempts to properly deal with the pig manure, which the specialization into large confinement operations has turned from a beneficial fertilizer into a major environmental problem; or to buy up excess pork, which is going to encourage rather than discourage the production of such excess.

-- The other thing to remember about excess farm production is that it would be very dangerous to aim to produce exactly the right amount of food in each year: because there's never any guarantee that the amount intended to be produced actually will be. Weather causes crop failures; so do disease and pest problems. Animal operations can be affected by those crop failures, or by disease problems, or themselves be affected by weather problems -- even if the animals are housed entirely inside: for instance, such operations can have huge losses due to power failures. If there's going to be any reasonable expectation for people to have enough to eat every year, it's essential that farmers aim to produce more than necessary.