snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 26 March 2016, 03:25 PM

Default Republican Convention: 20,000 sign petition demanding right to carry guns at event

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6954211.html

Quote:
The Republican Convention this summer is already expected to be a hectic and impassioned affair.

Now, potentially adding to the mix is a suggestion by more than 20,000 people, that those attending the event be allowed to carry firearms.

A petition on the Change.Org website calls on the Republican National Convention organisers to permit the carrying of licensed weapons at the rally at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.
I get a feeling this isn't actually serious and just trolling the GOP on their hypocrisy regarding the stance some of them have taken regarding guns being allowed in schools and whatnot. (didn't expect the spellchecker to allow me to get away with whatnot)
Old 26 March 2016, 06:56 PM

You know, last year I'd have agreed with you, but Republicans have become the living embodiment of Poe's Law.
Old 27 March 2016, 12:32 AM

Holy cow that would be a freaking blood bath. I really hope it's just trolling and/or gets ignored. That's news I do not want to see even with a party I think is trying to dismantle the government.
Old 27 March 2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
I get a feeling this isn't actually serious and just trolling the GOP on their hypocrisy regarding the stance some of them have taken regarding guns being allowed in schools and whatnot. (didn't expect the spellchecker to allow me to get away with whatnot)
It's hard to distinguish the sincere and deeply held beliefs of the Republican base from the trolling (of liberals and conservatives alike) sometimes. I could have sworn the Trump campaign was trolling, but here we are, trolling or not.

It really makes one question their sanity, or at least their will to remain sane if this is what reality has in store for us and whatnot and soforth. Wait... "soforth" isn't a word? That's discriminatory bullNFBSK! I want no part of this absurd reality in which Donald Trump is a likely Presidential candidate and soforth ain't a word. Wait... AIN'T is a word now?!?!? Will someone please explain to me how that ain! :mind blown:
Old 28 March 2016, 07:31 AM

Icon81

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...-over-spouses/
Quote:
Donald J. Trump and Senator Ted Cruz of Texas traded insults on Easter Sunday morning over recent smears against their wives, while Mr. Trump ruled out creating internment camps for American Muslims and said he would study a proposal to allow delegates to bring guns to the Republican National Convention.
Brian
Old 28 March 2016, 01:28 PM

The reason I'm leaning towards trolling is because the convention is basically invite only so not like some random person can buy a ticket and wander in. It would limit just how many nuts are in the convention.
Old 29 March 2016, 05:51 AM

Icon13 Secret Service says 'no' to guns at Republican convention

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0WU1PE
Quote:
The U.S. Secret Service will not allow people to carry guns into the July Republican National Convention in Cleveland, quashing the hopes of more than 45,000 people who have signed a petition saying attendees should be allowed to bring firearms.

The Secret Service said on Monday it has the authority to preclude guns from sites visited by the people it protects such as U.S. presidential candidates, presidents and former presidents.

"Only authorized law enforcement personnel working in conjunction with the Secret Service for a particular event may carry a firearm inside of the protected site," agency spokesman Robert Hoback said in a statement.
Brian
Old 29 March 2016, 02:11 PM

Surprising source of GOP convention guns petition

CBS seems to be more surprised than I am; though I expect the wording of their headline has to do with clickbait.

Quote:
Jim says he wrote the petition knowing it was somewhat preposterous -- that law enforcement would never allow the Republican presidential candidates inside an arena with potentially thousands of armed individuals. "There were never going to be guns at the convention. Not a million signatures were going to make that happen," Jim said.

But he also knew that if the Republican candidates sincerely meant what they have been saying about expanding Second Amendment rights, it would logically follow that they should support a move to allow firearms at the convention. "If they can't live in accordance with the policies they impose upon us, they owe us that rational conversation," Jim said.

The motives of those signing the petition seem less clear, and are probably varied.

Quote:
Max Burns, a spokesman for Change.org, said support for the petition shot up dramatically over the weekend and it's still going strong. Seventy percent of the signatories are male, which is unusual for the website, which usually has a majority female user base.
Old 29 March 2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
Secret Service says 'no' to guns at Republican convention
Why do they hate America? Thousands of armed good guys with guns would make that arena the safest place in the world!