snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 22 September 2015, 12:03 AM

D'oh! Spider on shoulder leads to "driverless" car crash involving school bus

A 9-year-old boy was injured Friday when this car crashed into a school bus in Kosciusko County. When his mother was backing out of the driveway she saw a spider on her shoulder and jumped out of the car, leaving it in gear. When the boy jumped from the back seat to the front to try to stop the car he accidentally pushed on the gas pedal, not the brake, sending the car into a passing school bus.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/news/lo...ing-school-bus
Old 22 September 2015, 12:25 AM

I hope she loses her license. That kind of panic is not acceptable.
Old 23 September 2015, 12:48 PM

It isn't, of course it isn't acceptable and this is a terrible thing to have caused to happen - but phobias can make people do very silly - or dangerous, or thoughtless - things. Horrible though it is to even think, I could imagine myself causing harm to somebody if a moth was involved - Sense, safety, acknowledgement of other people, decorum - none of that matters. All that would matter is moth. All that could be thought and felt is moth. Everything is moth.
Old 23 September 2015, 02:51 PM

If you have a phobia of spiders that's so bad that getting one on you causes you to go into total fight-or-flight mode regardless of the situation, you need professional help.
Old 23 September 2015, 03:23 PM

That is kind of what phobias, true phobias, are. The "tee-hee, I have a phobia, giggle giggle" common usage is simply a fear.

I think it is sad and somewhat silly that we are so panicked about spiders; very very few of them are in any way dangerous and only one or two are fatal to any real degree. Still, I understand that a phobia cannot be reasoned away.
Old 23 September 2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
That is kind of what phobias, true phobias, are. The "tee-hee, I have a phobia, giggle giggle" common usage is simply a fear.
Yup. Phobia is (yet another) one of those psychological conditions that has lapsed into common parlance with no true understanding of what it actually means. See also OCD and bipolar.

(Brought to you by someone who tried to jump out of a car going at 70mph on a busy motorway after her sister vomited in the backseat.)
Old 23 September 2015, 06:54 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
If you have a phobia of spiders that's so bad that getting one on you causes you to go into total fight-or-flight mode regardless of the situation, you need professional help.
Absolutely agree. Whether or not it is a 'true' phobia is immaterial.

Phobia's aren't a permanent affliction. For the most part they are entirely treatable. If you have a phobia or fear that is likely to result in you jumping out of a car which you are driving, you shouldn't have a license until it is treated.
Old 23 September 2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
Yup. Phobia is (yet another) one of those psychological conditions that has lapsed into common parlance with no true understanding of what it actually means. See also OCD and bipolar.
Also fetish.
Old 24 September 2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Phobia's aren't a permanent affliction. For the most part they are entirely treatable.
Kinda crucial, the bolded bit. When you've got one that isn't "entirely treatable" it sucks big time. I take massive precautions about who I allow in my car for this very reason.
Old 24 September 2015, 11:10 AM

I read 'shoulder' as 'the bit at the edge of the road' and was thinking 'Bloody hell, how big was the spider?!'
Old 24 September 2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I take massive precautions about who I allow in my car for this very reason.
Hate to say this because having the phobia is awful and (especially if you've tried to be treated for it) not your fault -- but there are other people on the road in addition to those in the car with you.
Old 24 September 2015, 01:17 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I read 'shoulder' as 'the bit at the edge of the road' and was thinking 'Bloody hell, how big was the spider?!'
And was it spitting lava?
Old 24 September 2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Hate to say this because having the phobia is awful and (especially if you've tried to be treated for it) not your fault -- but there are other people on the road in addition to those in the car with you.
I think Mosh meant that she didn't let anybody in her car who was likely to throw up and trigger her phobia. Not that she only let people in her car who wouldn't mind being killed if she crashed.
Old 24 September 2015, 04:51 PM

Ah. You might be right -- it was someone else who posted that their phobia was moths, which might be in the car with you without anyone realizing it.

I took it not as meaning 'I only let people in the car with me who don't mind being killed' but as meaning 'I only let people in the car with me if they're adults who have been warned about this possibility.'
Old 24 September 2015, 08:17 PM

I wonder if Twankydillo's moth phobia would be set off by locusts?

Quote:
I took it not as meaning 'I only let people in the car with me who don't mind being killed' but as meaning 'I only let people in the car with me if they're adults who have been warned about this possibility.'
That amounts to the same thing though, doesn't it? At least in terms of the sort of legal disclaimers that corporations put out, and seem to expect to be taken seriously. People aren't very good at intuitive risk assessment in the modern world.

Not that I'm comparing Mosh to a corporation. Or you to a moth.
Old 25 September 2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Wrong kind of locust.

ETA: They would at any rate have had a chance to decide whether that particular risk was worth the ride; which the other people on the road wouldn't have been given. How good the particular people are at assessing risk would indeed be a different question.
Old 25 September 2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Ah. You might be right -- it was someone else who posted that their phobia was moths, which might be in the car with you without anyone realizing it.
Yup, Richard's right. No drunk people, no people who have ever mentioned being travel sick in my presence, no children, no one who I think might have eaten a dodgy takeaway in the last 48 hours...it's quite a list. Basically if you're allowed in my car it's a great honour

(Moths are quite welcome, actually, especially the ones that have no mouth parts.)

Edit: I'm very cautious about who I get in a car with, too, for the same reason.
Old 25 September 2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Yup, Richard's right. No drunk people, no people who have ever mentioned being travel sick in my presence, no children, no one who I think might have eaten a dodgy takeaway in the last 48 hours...it's quite a list. [ . . . ]

Edit: I'm very cautious about who I get in a car with, too, for the same reason.
OK, sorry! I withdraw my earlier comment.

That does indeed make sense.

(I'd advise caution about drunk people in the car in general, by the way. I once had one try to grab the wheel away from me while we were doing about 50 MPH.)
Old 25 September 2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
We haven't had any deaths from spider bites in Australia for over 30 years now (even though we've got some incredibly venomous spiders here) but apparently we've had quite a few car crashes caused by our giant huntsman spiders which have a habit of hiding under the sun visors and randomly falling on drivers.

It's all well and good to say that people need professional help but it's a different matter entirely when a huge hairy spider the size of your hand is lunging at your face.
Old 25 September 2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post

That amounts to the same thing though, doesn't it? At least in terms of the sort of legal disclaimers that corporations put out, and seem to expect to be taken seriously. People aren't very good at intuitive risk assessment in the modern world.

Not that I'm comparing Mosh to a corporation. Or you to a moth.
You saying she should change her name from Mosherette to MosherInc.?