Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Kettle Corn. Problem solved.
Chocolate bacon is a better solution
Old 09 September 2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
Salty Caramel Bars.
My first response after reading the prompt included salt + caramel. I am not googling a recipe. I am not googling a recipe. I am not googling a recipe.
Old 11 September 2017, 01:05 AM

Baseball

The President of Television calls. She wants you to propose a TV series that has been off the air (don't count syndication) for at least 20 years.

Pick the series, and make it one that will be well served by being remade...
Old 11 September 2017, 03:32 AM

Blake's 7

Great storyline, but not enough cash...
Old 11 September 2017, 12:47 PM

Salvage-1.
Old 11 September 2017, 01:12 PM

Definitely Quantum Leap!
Old 11 September 2017, 02:38 PM

Glasses

Remington Steele, the next generation. Keep the primary focus on the mysteries and off the relationship.

Seaboe
Old 12 September 2017, 12:31 AM

Mouse

Those of you know I love nothing more than filtering things through the lens of entertainment, be it books, comics, movies, or TV shows. And I have long been trying to find an adequate pop culture metaphor for Donald Trump.

In the past, I've said that Richard Nixon and the GOP of his day, were Tywin Lannister, evil but they have some actual intelligence to go with their villainy and won't just burn everything down in a hissy fit. Whereas, Donald Trump and the modern GOP are Joffrey Baratheon, spoiled brat little sadists who would either intentionally or unintentionally burn everything down out of spite. As you can imagine, it would majorly sucked to be ruled by either character, but if forced to true, you'd rather have a Tywin Lannister in charge than a Joffrey.

But at the same time, I just don't think Richard Nixon is anywhere near as smooth an operator as Tywin Lannister. Richard Nixon did plot, but never carried out, to kill an enemy of his by coating his steering wheel with LSD, and I can't help but think that Tywin Lannister would have more sense than that. Yes, I'm aware Tywin wouldn't know anything about LSD or the steering wheels of cars, but even still.

I've also thought that maybe an accurate comparison is comic book Doctor Doom versus every film adaptation of him so far, grand, operatic evil so over-the-top and audacious in its planning that you have some grudging respect for him, versus whiny, pissant who never comes any close to living up to the moniker, Doctor Doom.

I've also thought about Richard Nixon being a Bond Villain, whereas Trump is one the one from the shitty movie they tried to do with Sean Connery's brother, but I don't know how well that works.

The problem I keep running to, with all my pop culture comparisons, is that any fictional villain, regardless of how shitty their source material may be, still displays better work ethic than Donald Trump. So I am casting out this challenge in hopes that one of you fine people can figure this out for me: Which fictional villain comes the closest to Donald Trump in comparison?
Old 12 September 2017, 04:49 AM

Mojo comes to mind.
Old 13 September 2017, 12:36 AM

Mouse

:reads link: Okay, you may actually be onto something. You totally know if a Mojo-style platform existed, Trump would totally use it, because Trump is opposed to effort. He probably would always ride in a golf cart in lieu of walking, if that was possible. Unfortunately, he is bedeviled by the existence of stairs.
Old 13 September 2017, 12:59 AM

Military

M*A*S*H, updated to a modern setting and modern warzones. You could do it as a comedy drama in the vein of Scrubs. Silly in most places, but capable of giving you a gut-punch of feels at the drop of a hat.

I haven't really brainstormed much more than that, but it could be a fun exercise to take the above concept and re-write the original main characters to fit modern themes.

First up...

Frank Burns: He would have a MAGA hat hanging on the post by his cot. Since Hawkeye and Trapper nicknamed their tent "the Swamp," there is a perfect opportunity for a sniveling Burns to muse about "draining the Swamp" to Col. Blake.
Old 13 September 2017, 01:16 AM

Ponder

Hawkeye and Trapper would have to have their drinking and womanizing toned down rather a lot from the original. Alcoholism and sexism aren't funny. The latter is one of the reasons why BJ was written to be a happily married husband and father. Even in the 70s they knew they had to dial it back a bit. Besides, it gave them good fodder for drama when he was tempted.

There could be some great episodes with Father Mulcahy and the local Muslim population, where he works with them and isn't a dick about his religion or theirs.

ANY-way... I guess the biggest change would have to be to Klinger. He'd have to have a new shtick for his "Section 8" scheme.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:24 PM

Not sure there would be a Klinger as there is no draft. And pretty much any lower rank enlisted would have volunteered during a time of war, so it wouldn't be that likely that he'd have signed up for the benefits and thought he'd not go to war. ETA: And it would be tough to make him a character trying to get out because of something like PTSD and still keep it a comedy.

Since M*A*S*H was set in Korea but was about the Vietnam War, would this M*A*S*H be set during Desert Storm, but be about the current wars?

Also, can we call it After After M*A*S*H?
Old 13 September 2017, 02:32 PM

I guess you could set it post 9/11 and have Klinger be a member of the National Guard who never expected to actually go into any kind of combat situation.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:44 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Also, can we call it After After M*A*S*H?
It would almost certainly be better than the real After M*A*S*H.

Seaboe
Old 13 September 2017, 03:17 PM

I like that idea Sue and that's how I'll pitch it. You want to be an Executive Producer? It means nothing, but it sounds cool.

Seaboe, you want to join my mockumentary about how that show ruined the careers of everyone involved? I'm calling it After M*A*S*H aftermath.

ETA: Worse show, After M*A*S*H or Hello, Larry?
Old 13 September 2017, 05:34 PM

Margaret Houlihan will have to change, too. Or at least her storylines and character arc will. A woman in a pposition of authority in the military isn't a rare thing anymore.

The recasting would also allow some more diversity. Maybe Hawkeye or Trapper could be a person of color. Perhaps the new Col. Blake is a woman.
Old 13 September 2017, 06:56 PM

Glasses

I think After M*A*S*H was the worse show, because it tried to keep the characters out of their workable context. Hello, Larry wasn't really that different in plot from numerous other shows, it just had bad scripts.

Seaboe
Old 13 September 2017, 08:29 PM

I never saw Hello, Larry. Looking it up, I see why it was included (Colonel Blake), but there are other questions. Of the three MASH spin-offs, which was the worst - AfterMASH, Trapper John, MD, or the failed pilot/TV movie W*A*L*T*E*R?

I will admit I find it funny that the recasting is centering on the shorter term characters. Both Blake and Trapper were in less than half the number of episodes of Potter and Hunnicutt, and even Winchester edged out Burns for number of episodes. Heck, Nurse Kelley and Igor were both in more episodes than either Blake or Trapper.
Old 13 September 2017, 08:32 PM

They were original to the series, movie, and book. The others you mentioned lasted longer, but were introduced later.