snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 08 August 2017, 10:26 PM

TV Disney to end Netflix deal and launch its own streaming service

Disney will end its distribution deal with Netflix and launch its own streaming service, the company announced today. It intends to launch the service in 2019.

The move is a real blow to Netflix, which secured a valuable streaming deal with Disney back in 2012 — before streaming had really taken off. The deal only kicked into effect last year, so Netflix is barely seeing any benefit here.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/8/16...g-netflix-deal
Old 08 August 2017, 11:23 PM

Oh good, another streaming service.
I was just saying to myself this morning that I don't have enough bills to pay.
Old 08 August 2017, 11:48 PM

I know. I've complained before that I wished that there was just one streaming service that had all the shows I want to watch. Netflix used to come close to that, but as time goes by it seems like they have less and less, particularly when it comes to older shows that I enjoy re-watching, like Futurama. But they do make up for it with their very good original programming.
Old 09 August 2017, 12:03 AM

My immediate wonder is how it might affect the various Netflix original series based on Marvel properties -- The Defenders and all the individual character series of that group.

I also have a suspicion that the Disney streaming service will still have its limitations. To have every Disney movie (at least more than a year or so old, say), including all their animated classics (and the direct-to-video sequels), all the Pixar films, all their Marvel and Star Wars films, and a host of their old TV properties all available from one streaming service? Yeah, that might very well be worth it, if it were really comprehensive. Anyone want to bet, though, that they won't rotate films and shows in and out of availability, as they have done with many of their video releases? (Somehow reading your mind so that the particular film you want to watch at any given time isn't currently available...) It irritates me enough that services like Netflix do this already, but at least sometimes it's based on their licensing agreements. If Disney does it with their own stuff, it will be particularly annoying.
Old 09 August 2017, 12:17 AM

I think it'll definitely get to a point of overload.

You want to watch "this?" You need to go to Netflix. You want to watch "that?" You need Hulu.

Could get to a point where a lot of people might find piracy looking attractive again.
Old 09 August 2017, 07:45 PM

Or else you need to plan out your binge-watching. "OK, in September and October, we'll do Netflix so we can see The Defenders and catch up on House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, and maybe watch some of the new MST3K. Then we'll move to Hulu in November, then Disney in December since the kids will be home for a couple of weeks..."
Old 09 August 2017, 08:36 PM

Icon605

There is an interesting story on NBC News of a Disney acquisition made last year for BAMTech (if you've ever watched an MLB.TV broadcast, you've seen why BAMTech was created). In light of this article, the announcement that Disney is going to do its own streaming doesn't really come as too great a surprise; they've been positioning themselves for it.

Disney to give MLB another $1.58 billion for BAMTech. The players will see none of it.

~Psihala
Old 09 August 2017, 09:25 PM

That's what we do already, E.Q. We have, throughout the year, subscriptions to Sling, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. Amazon is permanent, as it comes with Prime. Sling is permanent, although the package varies. Hulu we generally get during broadcast season, although since they no longer have any CW shows, we may not get it this year. Netflix we get for a month or so once a year, and watch everything for the year.
It's a bit of a hassle, but we went from an average monthly cost of around $150, to an average monthly cost of about $40 when we got rid of cable.
Now, depending on what they decide to stream, we may or may not go to this. My biggest hope is that they carry the various Star Wars animated shows. Right now we get that by adding the kids package to Sling a few times a year. Unfortunately, the Disney XD streaming is a little screwy - right now, we can watch episodes 1, 4, or 6 of The Freemaker Chronicles, season 2. I have no idea why they skipped the others. If it was all available on a Disney stream, we would sign up for that a few times a year instead. Otherwise, I have digital or Blu Ray copies of everything else I would want to see from Disney.