snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 22 October 2010, 02:47 AM

Icon95 Filtered Water

Our main source of water is from a ninety-five-foot drilled well. When the water enters through a pipe into our house, it first goes through a filter. This process eliminates impurities that would otherwise enter our tap water and, of course, our drinking water. We have to change this filter once a year to keep the water free from contaminants and to prevent us from becoming sick.

It was time to change the filter. We had changed the filter once, before we bought the house, and never encountered a problem. This time, when we re-connected the cartridge that holds the new filter and opened up the main water valve, the water came shooting out everywhere. We finally found out what the problem was: the O-ring that sits on the top was stretched and therefore did not seal properly. This incident happened on Friday evening, and trying to get a plumber or a new O-ring was impossible. We had to return to the basics: getting water containers and filling them from our daughter's water source.

It is at times like these that I realized how dependent I am on water flowing from a tap so easily. Daily rituals like brushing my teeth became a real ordeal, besides other things that require the water to flow freely from a tap.

When Monday came, a visit to our local plumbing store resulted in a new cartridge and filter being installed. We are back to taking showers, running the dishwasher, filling our glasses with water, and brushing our teeth as usual.

Reflecting on this experience and the importance of a filter properly installed made me think of how Jesus promised to send a Helper, the Holy Spirit, to help us filter out the bad from the good.
Old 22 October 2010, 02:58 AM

Australia

Does the holy spirit also need o-ring replacement?

Ooo - the O-ring is like our halo. If we neglect it - it won't fit and sin will burst out gushing all over us and not filtered by the spirit so be sure to get that ring on tight or there might be .... spurting?

Okay that analogy went a little wrong somehow.

Dropbear
Old 22 October 2010, 10:09 AM

Reflecting upon this glurge, I realize I need to get a new filter for my Brita. Better check on my supply for the Jura as well...
Old 22 October 2010, 10:55 AM

Once you have a stretched o-ring ( temptation ) then you stand a good chance of a slow leak of water ( sin ) soaking through your floorboards, and causing mould ( satan ), mildew ( hell ) and even,. in the worse case, rotten joists and structural damage ( significant and expensive repair work ).
Old 22 October 2010, 02:16 PM

I actually thought it was going to be a serious point about how billions of people all over the world don't have access to fresh, clean water on a daily basis and how thankful we should be to have access to it so readily.
Old 22 October 2010, 09:46 PM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
This incident happened on Friday evening, and trying to get a plumber or a new O-ring was impossible....

When Monday came, a visit to our local plumbing store resulted in a new cartridge and filter being installed. .

You mean there's some podunk town out there whose businesses are not open at least on Saturday? I get the plumber part--but then again, there's Roto-Rooter et al--but all your stores are closed on Saturday and Sunday?!
Old 22 October 2010, 09:51 PM

No, FullMetal, that would make too much sense for a glurge.
Old 09 November 2010, 11:53 PM
Ferdinand

In the name of the father, the son, and the holy spigot....
Old 08 December 2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
I actually thought it was going to be a serious point about how billions of people all over the world don't have access to fresh, clean water on a daily basis and how thankful we should be to have access to it so readily.
You mean those Godless brown people? Maybe they would have access to fresh, clean water if they just accepted Jesus into their hearts. Maybe that's something to think about.
Old 15 December 2010, 01:51 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
Reflecting on this experience and the importance of a filter properly installed made me think of how Jesus promised to send a Helper, the Holy Spirit, to help us filter out the bad from the good.
Wouldn't a Jesus Filter change unclean water into wine, not clean water?
Old 23 December 2010, 09:00 PM

Reading about wells and filters reminds me of this:
Quote:
In the well
That our father built her
Grandma fell.
We must buy a filter.
Old 27 December 2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster View Post
You mean those Godless brown people? Maybe they would have access to fresh, clean water if they just accepted Jesus into their hearts. Maybe that's something to think about.
Sadly, it's not hard to find people with that attitude. Pat Robinson springs to mind. (No pun intended).
Old 27 December 2010, 09:43 AM
The Game

For a few years as a kid we had to get out drinking water from the city in containers. We were back to basics. Garden hose at our grandparents house. I don't recall when the well was up and we were able to drink the water that actually came through the tap. I don't even remember why this was. I don't believe a filter was involved though.

Once the water heater went down, it took a couple days before it could be repaired. You'd be surprised at how little hot water all your pots, a regular coffee pot and one of those giant 40 cup coffee pots actually make.

Never once did Jesus cross our minds. All that did was, "This is a minor inconvenience and kind of sucks".
Old 27 December 2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Never once did Jesus cross our minds. All that did was, "This is a minor inconvenience and kind of sucks".
Jesus couldn't have helped anyway. He was a carpenter, not a plumber.
Old 28 December 2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
You mean there's some podunk town out there whose businesses are not open at least on Saturday? I get the plumber part--but then again, there's Roto-Rooter et al--but all your stores are closed on Saturday and Sunday?!

And even if that is true you'd think most podunk towns are near some bigger town with a hardware store open on a Saturday. Heck the podunk town my parents live in is only twenty minutes away from a wal mart and their podunk town has a hardware sotre open on Saturday from nine til noon. But then again who expects glurge to include reality.
Old 28 December 2010, 04:23 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
In the name of the father, the son, and the holy spigot....
Ferdinand FTW!!
Old 30 December 2010, 03:03 PM
bill790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Sadly, it's not hard to find people with that attitude. Pat Robinson springs to mind. (No pun intended).
Sure you don't mean Pat Robertson?
Old 19 February 2011, 04:05 PM

Icon215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Wouldn't a Jesus Filter change unclean water into wine, not clean water?
Jesus Filter! Now available in Limited Edition Keanu Reeves model!

Old 04 April 2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Our main source of water is from a ninety-five-foot drilled well. When the water enters through a pipe into our house, it first goes through a filter. This process eliminates impurities that would otherwise enter our tap water and, of course, our drinking water. We have to change this filter once a year to keep the water free from contaminants and to prevent us from becoming sick.
I don't know why, but this reminds me of the Terry Pratchett quote: - "People have believed for centuries that having a newt-infested well means fresh water, and NEVER ONCE stopped to consider whether the newts get out to go to the toilet"
Old 04 April 2011, 09:15 PM

So now Jesus is the hunky guy who delivers water to offices and houses? I have heard of odd metaphors before, but I think this one is the worst. It reminds me more of an advertisement than a religious pitch. (For sparkling water call 1800-JESUS!!!! (sings) For the very best for you and us call 1800-JESUS!")