snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Religion

Old 24 August 2008, 07:26 PM

Icon215 Shroud of Turin stirs new controversy

A Colorado couple researching the shroud dispute radiocarbon dating of the alleged burial cloth of Jesus, and Oxford has agreed to help them reexamine the findings.

http://www.latimes.com/features/reli...,4950965.story
Old 24 August 2008, 07:48 PM

So first it sounds a lot like this fella will never really admit defeat on this one, so whats the point? Its like the people who want to debate creationism but you know there is zero chance that they are gonna ever admit defeat no matter what arguments are levied against them because they are starting from a position that isn't applicable to science.

Now, I don't know the background of this guy, but from the article thats the sound.

Secondly, as a snopes poster once said (I shall quote the best I can), "Even if we can prove beyond a doubt that the shroud really does show an image of a Jewish man from that region from roughly 2000 years ago, how does this prove that man was Jesus? And How does it prove anything else?"

-MB
Old 25 August 2008, 12:28 AM
JFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
"Even if we can prove beyond a doubt that the shroud really does show an image of a Jewish man from that region from roughly 2000 years ago, how does this prove that man was Jesus? And How does it prove anything else?"
It doesn't. But it reopens the possibility of the shroud being authentic (whatever "authentic" would be).

Ain't hope grand?
Old 25 August 2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
" (The radiocarbon date) ...is like a square peg in a round hole. It's not fitting properly, and the question is why."
What doesn't it fit. It doesn't fit their predetermined outcome, and the reason is that their outcome is incorrect. If I think that 3 + 3 = 7 then the scientific view of the question will not fit my expected outcome.

I'm also intrigued that he thinks it is "1300 years out of date". Why not 500 years, or 2300, or 345. Again, a predetermined outcome.

But I just remembered, we're arguing with fundamentalists. And to think we expected them to talk sense.
Old 25 August 2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I'm also intrigued that he thinks it is "1300 years out of date". Why not 500 years, or 2300, or 345. Again, a predetermined outcome.
Probably because it was painted in the 14th century. IIRC there is a letter about it from a priest to his bishop where the writer says something about having met the artist.
Old 25 August 2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Probably because it was painted in the 14th century. IIRC there is a letter about it from a priest to his bishop where the writer says something about having met the artist.
Like dinosaur bones, God put that letter there. It's all part of His plan, and who are you to question it?
Old 07 November 2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Not to put words in Skeptic's mouth, but what I think he meant by his question was, the assumption that it's 1300 years out of date is the same as the assumption that it's genuine. In other words, the neutral position would be "the date could be wrong, let's check to see what the right date is", not "the date is wrong, here's the right one."
Old 07 November 2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I've never heard that. Do you have a cite? [not being combative, just honestly curious.]
Old 07 November 2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Now, I don't know the background of this guy, but from the article thats the sound.

-MB
I do not get that from the article at all. I get from the article that he is trying to determine what there is differences in the carbon dating, and trying to determine what is the age of the shroud.
He has some science education to back him up, and I would wait for his research before making the decision that he has a biased agenda based on the article.