snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 September 2018, 07:19 PM

I am trying the new season of American Horror Story again, even though it inevitably goes off the rails every season. I know I'm focusing on the wrong things, but the logistics of this elite bunker are driving me nuts. Minor spoilers from the first episode if you haven't seen it.

They've had enough advance warning to prepare and organize this whole facility, and hundreds of millions of dollars paid for room in it, and all they can afford to allocate for food is an 18 month supply of flavorless nutrition cubes, and they're resorting to cannibalism in the first week? The average Alex Jones listener or Mormon could probably doomsday prep better than those morons.

And despite their inexplicably harsh emergency rations, they insist on elaborate clothing made of delicate materials. With natural sources becoming contimated by fallout, fresh water is going to be at least as precious as food, but they're going to direct so much of it to grooming. Plus any of the cleaning chemicals and cosmetics could have been food storage instead. And these are not just clothes they can dump in an industrial washer and forget about. It's at least 1 grey worth of full time garment care, which is one more mouth to feed, hastening their inevitable starvation by weeks, at least.

They should be trivially capable of stockpiling decades worth of food, of not very high quality, but still more appealing than agar cubes, and they should be able to dress it up pretty well if they're willing to devote as much labor to frivolities as they do. The harder part of stockpiling would be the water rather than the food, so they'd have to be very strict about showers and other cleaning uses, long before they'd need to starve.
Old 13 September 2018, 08:45 PM

Sounds like the new season is Vault-Tec, the TV show. Let me know if it turns out that the bunker is actually an experiment being perpetrated on the residents.

I wish they would make a Fallout TV show or movie series.
Old 14 September 2018, 01:39 PM

Psychic

I binge watched all of Magic for Humans on Netflix...

He made a kid cry, because of a missing marshmallow!

But he did give him one to make him feel better.

"It disappeared? just like magic?"
"Yeah"
Old 28 September 2018, 02:57 PM

I’m three episodes into the second batch of ReBoot: The Guardian Code.

I have a few questions regarding the episode “Bee-Ware” (ignoring the normal nonsense this show seems to love):

First off, MegaByte’s plan had merit. Why did the Sourceror then claim he was only “barely” impressed?
And second, the plan didn’t actually fail. It affected something severely and caused legitimate harm. Why did the Sourceror not just take the defeat in stride?
Also, does Vera’s meatpuppet have emotions now?
Old 28 September 2018, 04:05 PM

I believe the answer to all those questions is "because the show was badly written." The Sourcerer in particular mostly just seems to spout gibberish phrases and complain about Megabyte.
Old 28 September 2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I believe the answer to all those questions is "because the show was badly written." The Sourcerer in particular mostly just seems to spout gibberish phrases and complain about Megabyte.
A bigger question is: why does the following happen?

Computers: *go off*
Sourceror: *presses key like a corded phone cradle*

It’s like the computing is from the 90s (A supposedly modern computer has an interface that resembles Windows XP) while literally everything else is a failed attempt to connect with da yoof.
Old 28 September 2018, 07:05 PM

I have no idea. I quit watching the show after a few episodes once it was clear that it was really closer to Power Rangers than the original ReBoot and the dialog was horrible.

Then finding out that the original characters were in the show but it basically ignored everything they'd ever done in the four seasons (including Hexadecimal becoming a hero and love-interest to Bob before she sacrificed herself to save everyone) and Dot going from tough action girl to hiding behind her younger brother sealed the deal.
Old 29 September 2018, 02:09 AM

Yeah…if it were an unrelated kids actioner it would be a LOT better.

Anyhow, in one first-season episode, Vera creates a plugin to give herself emotions. She disables it when it causes her to perform terribly.

And then the first couple of episodes in this season have her hinting at a possible romantic interest. Because remember that time when Data just fell completely in love with that girl robot? …well, there was that episode where he boinked Tasha, but that episode sucked anyway.
Old 29 September 2018, 03:54 AM

The only girl robot I remember from TNG was Data's "daughter," who of course lived for only a single episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Yeah…if it were an unrelated kids actioner it would be a LOT better.
Only insofar as it would just be a terrible show without any associating tainting the original ReBoot.
Old 29 September 2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The only girl robot I remember from TNG was Data's "daughter," who of course lived for only a single episode.
Indeed. The point was that there was no such episode.
Old 29 September 2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Only insofar as it would just be a terrible show without any associating tainting the original ReBoot.
Still better than Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills.

And yes, that was real.
Old 29 September 2018, 02:17 PM

Actually, just for funsies because I’m quite a boring idiot, let’s go through an episode of this terrible show.

In the episode, Tamra/Enigma is going viral because someone named Sheri is sending her “Tamra Sez” blog (which appears to come complete with an app) to something called UpSend. When the four guardians (well, three of the four) get to “Room Zero” of their school (a secret base), they find that their mentor VERA (a computer program in a human body, which I called a “meatpuppet” but is more like a Wetware Body) is getting into hip-hop. Tamra, on a whim records it on her phone…and then (and I cannot stress enough how mind bogglingly stupid this part is) accidentally uploads it to the blog, which Sheri immediately shares. (You would think that that wouldn’t be so easy…). It’s damning, because Vera’s discussing her secrets.

So of course they have to digitise themselves to stop the file from spreading. However, their sudden appearance gets the attention of both virus Megabyte (voiced by Timothy Brummond, who is the sole saving grace) and the Department of Internet Security (which is a thing for some reason). The DIS is actually interested because leader Austin/Vector’s father created the tech the Guardians use (which makes them appear as the titular “Guardian Code”, which looks like a translucent Matrix Raining Code). Also, Megabyte nearly captures Tre/D-Frag and Parker/G00GZ (the Lancer and the Smart Guy, respectively)

They’re successful, but we also see that—apparently in the time it took for Tamra to delete the video (which she did first)—Sheri’s downloaded it to her phone and is listening to Vera’s rap.

Why anyone thought this show would make sense is beyond me. Do teenagers really not know how to work their phones? Do videos now need to be saved manually? Do kids not know how to avoid sharing things on social media? Not to mention: Narnia Time (which we would expect to be in force) is avoided. Half an hour is half an hour.
Old 29 September 2018, 04:31 PM

Here's the problem: the show is about computers, but being written by people who don't understand anything about computers.
Old 29 September 2018, 05:08 PM

They don’t even understand how to use the things they use. That was sorta excusable in Clue (which has a site described as “a cross between a blog, a tumblog, a vidblog and a [lay?]-blog”), but these days everyone has a Facebook or a Twitter account (or even both).

It’s the 2018 equivalent of the “Morphinomenal” line from Power Rangers.
Old 08 October 2018, 03:12 AM

Big Mouth season 2 dropped on Netflix sometime in the last few days (I had thought it was going to be October 15, for some reason, but apparently sooner). Watched the first three episodes. Again, pretty funny and surprisingly sensitive treatment of the subject matter.

I'd have watched more, but I wrapped up the final 8 episodes of The Office this morning, and watched a movie (The Vault) after lunch, so I'm kind of TV-watched out - haven't watched this much TV in one day in quite a while.
Old 08 October 2018, 06:54 AM

Maniac on Netflix. Don't know quite what's going on or where it's going, but enjoying it. The production design for the "modern" technology is gorgeous. It seems like one of those mystery shows that may never resolve anything, but in this case the journey is actually interesting enough to forgive if there's no destination. The creator of the show (and Justin Theroux, a major supporting actor in this one), also worked on Leftovers, another mystery show that succeeded in striking that balance. Though this one is a limited series, so maybe there's hope for a decent planned conclusion.
Old 08 October 2018, 02:48 PM

I've watched the first couple of episodes of The Cool Kids. It's a sitcom set in a retirement home, with David Alan Grier, Vicky Lawrence, Martin Mull, and Leslie Jordan. The pilot episode wasn't great, but it looks like they retooled a bit and the second episode was pretty good. Vicky Lawrence and Leslie Jordan are great. Martin Mull is pretty good. Grier is not as good, but that may be the character he is supposed to play.

Is the show great? No, but as far as comedies on TV go right now, it's better than most.
Old 08 October 2018, 02:58 PM

I've dropped The Gifted (FOX) from my DVR. Not that it was bad or anything, but for the same reason I dropped all of the CW superhero shows, I'm just not interested in the TV-paced pseudo-drama drawn out over many episodes. Quite likely my attention span is shortening with age. I think I would like all of those shows as a couple of 2-hour TV movies per year, each of which wraps up a self-contained storyline. Half-hour shows with little continuity are easy, but hour-long soap operas are getting annoying and boring. A shame, because I like the essentials of most or all of the superhero shows I've been dropping.
Old 08 October 2018, 04:30 PM

I agree with Darth Credence about the "The Cool Kids". It is not the best ever, but I'm enjoying it. It is very nice to see older actors leading a show and not being relegated to the background.

It is funny. It makes me smile. It will be cancelled before the season is over. (Assumption based on previous experience.)

At least I have a second season to enjoy "Superior Donuts" with Judd Hirsch .

Morning
Old 08 October 2018, 07:45 PM

Morning - did you catch the Jamie Farr appearance in the pilot? He looked like Jamie Farr to me, but my wife was having a hard time identifying him at first - it's been a long time since MASH.
I had never heard of Superior Donuts, although I like Judd Hirsch. I see it is on CBS, which pretty much knocks it out for me. I rarely can schedule to watch things at the time they air, so if it isn't available on streaming I already have, I'll miss it.