snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 14 February 2018, 03:36 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'm wondering if this isn't something the Brits came up with as a part of their Odd Brand of Revenge campaign. They realized after the War of 1812 that they weren't going to get their colonies back, and decided they would battle us on two other fronts. One, they will beat us with style, and two, well, it's like Harry S Truman once said: If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Though I thought the fact we helped 'em out in two World Wars would have smoothed things over a bit.
The history pedant in me is coming out.

"They realized after the War of 1812 that they weren't going to get their colonies back..." - the war was never about that. It was nominally started over impressment of sailors, but that served as a cover story for US expansion into what is now known as Canada. Britain had no designs on reclaiming US land. They were too busy fighting Napoleon in Europe to care about a side show in North America. This goes along with my pet peeve about revisionist history. Lately, the War of 1812 has started to be referred to as "the Second War of Independence".

And the "helped 'em out in two World Wars" bit... coming late to both, only after maximising the profits from both, and demanding tribute for decades afterwards for both. Ahem.

I know your points were said with your tongue in cheek, but there are many that take both points as points of fact, and will not see it for anything less.
Old 14 February 2018, 05:18 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post

And the "helped 'em out in two World Wars" bit... coming late to both, only after maximising the profits from both, and demanding tribute for decades afterwards for both. Ahem.
I'm flashing back to World History in grade 11. My history teacher would have heartily concurred with the above.
Old 14 February 2018, 05:35 PM

Canada

Quote:
the war was never about that. It was nominally started over impressment of sailors, but that served as a cover story for US expansion into what is now known as Canada. Britain had no designs on reclaiming US land. They were too busy fighting Napoleon in Europe to care about a side show in North America.
We should try and get our fellow Canadians to call it "The War of Southern Aggression"

Old 14 February 2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
It was nominally started over impressment of sailors, but that served as a cover story for US expansion into what is now known as Canada.
We were trying to liberate you guys from the oppression of British rule.* Why wouldn't you want democracy forced on you by America?

*Seriously, if I remember my US history class correctly, which admittedly was over 20 years ago now, that was how some American politicians sold the idea of invading British North America/future Canada at the time.
Old 14 February 2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Interesting video on the manufacture of Worcestershire sauce.

https://youtu.be/vAdAgHJ0aqI

TRIGGER WARNING: The narrater cannot pronounce (amongst other things)

Worcestershire

Anchovies

Maturation.
I knew exactly which video(along with which narrator)that would be before I even clicked the link.
Old 14 February 2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
There was a humorous television commercial many years ago in which a cartoon character couldn't seem to pronounce it. At about the 46 or 47 second mark he gets it right.
The main thing that's wrong with this advert is that it's for Heinz, not Lea & Perrins!

(eta) Sue, definitely ignore the narrator in Hans Off's video. The man in Bill's gets it right eventually, with the proviso that many of us leave off the "-shire" for no good reason.
Old 17 February 2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
many of us leave off the "-shire" for no good reason.
Other than it is the correct way to refer to it!

The Heinz thing I presume is a distribution of the L&P product to the States?
Old 18 February 2018, 03:22 AM

Not that I’ve seen. My bottle of L&P doesn’t list Heinz- it says it’s made by L&P, Pittsburgh, Penn. Probably a US bottler.
Old 18 February 2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
The Heinz thing I presume is a distribution of the L&P product to the States?
The Heinz brand is easier to find here. I found L&P at one store, but I've forgotten where, so I ended up buying Heinz again.

Next time I see L&P I'll buy a bottle and put it in the cellar. But a bottle lasts me 2-3 years, so I'll probably forget I have it and end up being Heinz again.
Old 18 February 2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Not that I’ve seen. My bottle of L&P doesn’t list Heinz- it says it’s made by L&P, Pittsburgh, Penn. Probably a US bottler.
Oddly, even though L&P is owned by Heinz, in the U.S. you can get both L&P (from L&P U.S.) and Heinz' own brand.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 19 February 2018, 12:39 AM

There is a commercial for pringles on right now where they are filming a movie or something on a set and then they break and 3 guys gather around a snack table and talk about stacking different kinds of pringles together. So my stupid question - there is another man in the background who was part of the movie being filmed and who has stayed on set, anyway he chimes in with a comment and one of the 3 at the table yells back at him "nobody asked you, Kevin". It just sounds mean but also pointless. Or am I missing the point? Is this a catch phrase from somewhere that has obviously passed me by?
Old 19 February 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
There is a commercial for pringles on right now where they are filming a movie or something on a set and then they break and 3 guys gather around a snack table and talk about stacking different kinds of pringles together. So my stupid question - there is another man in the background who was part of the movie being filmed and who has stayed on set, anyway he chimes in with a comment and one of the 3 at the table yells back at him "nobody asked you, Kevin". It just sounds mean but also pointless. Or am I missing the point? Is this a catch phrase from somewhere that has obviously passed me by?
It's part of that "mean is funny" trend that I feel was really popular a few years ago in certain genres of scripted comedy. We're supposed to laugh with the main three guys, as we're all supposed to think of our own "Kevin." Alternatively we are supposed to laugh at the unexpected rudeness because we expect people to be reasonably polite to each other. (The latter "subversion" has been overplayed and for a variety of reasons no longer has shock value IMO)

That's my over-thought and overly wordy analysis of it anyway. I didn't like the commercial either, the humor in it just felt really dated to me.
Old 20 February 2018, 01:42 AM

Mouse

As you know, I have two spirited Calico kitties who love sprinting around the house, wrestling, and generally doing everything associated with the phrase “kitty crazies.” My question is “Do my kitties have their crazies when there’s no one around to witness them or are kitty crazies just no fun without an audience?”

I think I might have created one of those zen koans, though it does make more sense than the one about trees falling in a forest. I’ve always been with Francine from Arthur: “Who’s ever heard of a forest without mosquitoes?”
Old 20 February 2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
My question is “Do my kitties have their crazies when there’s no one around to witness them or are kitty crazies just no fun without an audience?”
At least some do, as my friend had a camera in her house that fed to her phone, and we would watch the kitten just ZOOM about her house. Or, perhaps, the kitten was aware that of what the camera was and could sense when he was being watched.
Old 20 February 2018, 05:20 AM

Bonsai Kitten

I'm sure that your kitties exist in a superposition of the states "not crazy" and "crazy" while not being watched. Only if you watch them (in person or via a remote device like a camera) the wave function collaps into on state or the other (more often the other).
Old 20 February 2018, 10:48 AM

Bonsai Kitten

So it is not a coincidence that Schrodinger used a cat in his example?
Old 20 February 2018, 12:23 PM

Baseball

OK, a US military protocol question.

I heard about the furor over Fergie's performance of the Star Spangled Banner at the NBA All-Star Game. One of my favourite bands, the Barenaked Ladies, sand the Canadian national anthem.

Out of pure curiosity about the mangling of the Star Spangled Banner and wanting to know if BNL used the new words for O Canada, I looked it up on Youtube. (Fergie's performance is a case of adding too much personality into the song. BNL did use the new lyrics)

Contest for my question: the honour guard (or colour party) that accompanied the anthems, during O Canada, the riflemen stayed at slope arms. During the Star Spangled Banner they went to Present Arms. If it were a Canadian military colour party, they would be at Present Arms for both.

My question: do American colour parties, even ones carrying a foreign flag, salute only for the US national anthem?
Old 20 February 2018, 01:18 PM

I have no idea about the color guards. I do, however, have two [ETA no that's three!] ideas about the cats:

1) Of course there's an observer. The cat(s) are observers. (The forest question, as has been pointed out, has the same problem. Any forest on this planet is full of creatures with ears.)

2) I don't have a camera set up; but I have had two small kittens shut up (to protect them from an older cat, till they got larger) in a room together. Judging by the sound effects, they most certainly bounced all over the room playing with each other when I wasn't in the room. I suppose it's possible they knew I was in hearing distance; but I've seen cats put on a show that was clearly intended for my attention, and said cats made a point of making eye contact.

3) The playful behavior, at least in very young creatures, is also exhibited by wild mammals. So I don't see how it can require human attention.
Old 20 February 2018, 02:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
It's part of that "mean is funny" trend that I feel was really popular a few years ago
"Mean is funny" has been a trend for a lot longer than a few years; look at the Three Stooges. As far as I'm concerned, it creeps a few nanometers past "humiliation is funny" as the worst form (and least funny) of humor.

Seaboe
Old 21 February 2018, 01:58 PM

Glasses

It was 19 degrees fahrenheit on my front porch this morning, and it took me 6 tries to start my truck (it has an undiagnosed issue with starting when it's cold). While I was driving in my very cold truck, waiting for the engine to warm up and provide warm air for the heater, I wondered my Stupid Question--does the engine warm up faster if you run it at higher revs? I'm not talking in the red zone, more like delaying your shift so the engine runs at 2500-3000 rpm instead of 1800-2000.

Seaboe