Go Back > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 18 February 2018, 01:01 PM

There’s a reason why the women of TV news have embraced sleevelessness while treading carefully in matters like cleavage (sexy weather reporters aside). Bare arms read as a kind of smart-sexy, a look that women in positions of authority can pull off. Michelle Obama is responsible for this, as are socialites of the Manhattan cocktail circuit, for whom bare arms long ago became a currency of wealth and fitness.
(bolding mine)

This reflects something I was thinking. It takes a certain kind of woman to go on air, night after night, and bare her arms and that's a woman who has no worries about her droopy upper arms! Can you imagine the twitterstorm that would erupt if a woman dared to go on air and let the world see that. The horror . The only thing worse would be a woman going bare armed, flabby or not, who did not shave under her arms. There are no words to convey the horror that would cause!

Last edited by Sue; 18 February 2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 19 February 2018, 01:20 PM

I don't pay much attention to these things, but I did recently notice a female newscaster wearing long sleeves but with cutouts in the sleeves, which I thought was a bit odd.

Back in the 70s, news anchors used to wear uniform blazers with the network logo.

I agree that Johnny Weir has been wearing some weird things! I have not noticed what any of the other commentators were wearing.
Old 22 February 2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by katdixo View Post

Back in the 70s, news anchors used to wear uniform blazers with the network logo.

I remember seeing that on Wide World of Sports.