snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 13 August 2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Wait a sec... Bud S? Who is that referring to? I never have seen or heard of any of the astronauts referred to as "Bud S". It had to be a guy.
Oh, but wait, the post said

Quote:
Bud S. wife, (the astronaut that went to the moon with Neil Armstrong)
It's Bud S.' wife that went to the moon.
Old 13 August 2009, 05:23 PM

No, there's not apostrophe. The name of the astronaut that went to the moon with Armstrong is Bud S. wife, often confused with the astronaut Rick Husband of Columbia.
Old 13 August 2009, 05:48 PM

United States

LizardWizard, YOMANK.

Maybe it was Aldrin & his wife. I found this article about the moon landing anniversary visit to the White House, in which he's quoted as saying:

Quote:
"Well, I mostly listened," Aldrin said. "It wasn’t an opportunity for me to offer thoughts about the future."
...which could be a polite way of saying:

Quote:
President Obama was disinterested in the event and viewed it simply as a photo op. This is the opinion of her husband (an astronaut who walked on the moon!).
However, every source I can find say they live in Los Angeles, and I seriously doubt there's a hair 'saloon' in Houston worth a frequent trip from LA.

In any case, it is a shame that all the portraits of the presidents have been taken down from the walls of the White House.

Old 13 August 2009, 06:03 PM

United States

It does, however, sound like there are and will be more works by minority artists on view at the White House during the Obamas' residency.

Obama is Changing the Art on the White House Walls

Quote:
The Obamas are sending ripples through the art world as they put the call out to museums, galleries and private collectors that they’d like to borrow modern art by African-American, Asian, Hispanic and female artists for the White House. In a sharp departure from the 19th-century still lifes, pastorals and portraits that dominate the White House’s public rooms, they are choosing bold, abstract art works.
Quote:
Last week the first family installed seven works on loan from the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington in the White House’s private residence, including “Sky Light” and “Watusi (Hard Edge),” a pair of blue and yellow abstracts by lesser-known African-American abstract artist Alma Thomas, acclaimed for her post-war paintings of geometric shapes in cheery colors.
Quote:
The president can hang whatever he wants in the residence and offices, including the Oval Office, but art placed in public rooms, such as the Green Room, must first be approved by the White House curator and the Committee for the Preservation of the White House, an advisory board on which the first lady serves as honorary chair.
Quote:
Steve Stuart, an amateur historian who has been studying the White House for three decades, thinks the Obamas needn’t be overly bound by tradition. “You shouldn’t have to look at Mrs. Hoover’s face over your bed for four years if you don’t want to,” he says.