snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 22 July 2014, 07:34 PM

Baseball Selfies at Serious Places

This Tumbler site's compilation of selfies from social media had me laughing and cringing. The Martin Luther King monument is priceless.

http://selfiesatseriousplaces.tumblr.com/
Old 23 July 2014, 04:54 AM

As for the Pearl Harbor selfies: I'm not entirely scandalized with the young woman in the forward torpedo room of the USS Bowfin. It's annoying and childish but I've seen worse on a dozen museum ships, by people of all ages. I also don't see anything particularly disrespectful about the fellow on the boat at (or approaching) the dock of the USS Arizona Memorial with the USS Missouri in the background. He's still outside the Memorial at this point and (I can only assume) not making enough of a disturbance to bother the other passengers.
Old 23 July 2014, 05:10 AM

while a smiling thumbs up at a holocost musem is probably not cool -- i dont see the issue with respectfully taking pictures of yourself in these locations -- its a memory.
Old 23 July 2014, 01:18 PM

I opened the thread expecting this one the be here- http://cheezburger.com/8262787840?ref=whatspopular
Old 23 July 2014, 03:11 PM

Glasses

I don't see how this differs appreciably from all the people who take pictures of each other in front of all sorts of places.

I went to Auschwitz-Birkenau this summer and there were people taking both selfies and pictures of others. I admit, I was a little creeped out by the smiling (and by the guy who did the whole tour with his iPad in front of him, recording everything), but I wasn't surprised, annoyed or disgusted by it. I did, however, think they were missing the point.

Seaboe
Old 23 July 2014, 08:20 PM

When I visited Dachau I took pictures, but I don't have any pictures with people in them. I think I show the pictures to someone who hasn't been there and explain what I saw. I wouldnt feel right to include a picture of myself in there. It feels very wrong to me.
Old 23 July 2014, 08:24 PM

I felt the same way when we were interring the ashes of a family member at a cemetery a few weeks ago. One of my aunts had her camera out and was taking all sorts of pictures and was trying to get us to pose for her. I didn't object to the idea of a few photos to mark the occasion (although it's not something I had thought of) but it just seemed wrong to be getting people to smile for the camera in a cemetery even if the occasion wasn't exactly a funeral.
Old 23 July 2014, 11:11 PM

Before my grandmom's funeral, my mom sent me to get photos. Of the flowers, the casket, and the body that used to be my grandmom. She wanted them, to have later, but was not in a state to take them herself, or to see them or think about them anytime soon. I was to store them on my computer until she could see them.

I felt like the world's biggest weirdo going into the church where a few church people were and taking all these photos of this face with makeup that looked almost like my grandmom but not. I had to keep telling myself that for my mom, I could stand if these people decided I was a creep.
Old 23 July 2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
while a smiling thumbs up at a holocost musem is probably not cool -- i dont see the issue with respectfully taking pictures of yourself in these locations -- its a memory.
I don't think the point of the site is to laugh at respectful photos. There is nothing wrong with either grinning selfies posted on social media in a "hey look at me!" way or with respectful commemorative photos used as keepsakes. It's when you combine the two that its a bit odd.

It's a lot like Justin Beiber hoping Anne Frank "would have been a Belieber." It's not supposed to be about (g)you. Like Seabeo said, it's missing the point.
Old 23 July 2014, 11:50 PM

I think the problem isn't in the youth of today with their selfies and their twitter and their twirking, but in how these sites are frequently presented as 'must-see tourist destinations'. The tourism angle strips the solemnity and education potential from the destination and blurs it into yet another photo opportunity along the road that many historical sites become. I think there is a delicate line in attracting visitors to a site and creating what amounts to a theme park. Sometimes the people responsible for the site have no choice but to pimp it out in crass and touristy ways in order to create revenue just to preserve the site for future generations.

I honestly don't know what the solution is. If you don't advertise a serious historical site as a tourist destination then it gets lost to history forever. If you do, then it becomes a selfie station.
Old 24 July 2014, 12:26 AM

I think it takes a rather vapid individual to mistake Auschwitz for a theme park just because it was listed as a 'point of interest' and had a gift shop.
Old 24 July 2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I think it takes a rather vapid individual to mistake Auschwitz for a theme park just because it was listed as a 'point of interest' and had a gift shop.
I don't mean 'theme park' in the sense of Disneyworld, but just in the way the tourist trappings of a site can detract from the seriousness behind the history of the site. I feel the same way about anywhere that is described as a 'must-see' destination. The moment it becomes a popular place to see is the moment it stops being primarily a place to stop and think. If it's just a tick-box place on somebody's tour of the world then it can't really fulfill it's potential as a museum, a place of 'muse'-like inspiration. People go there, have their pictures taken and move on. They are prevented from fully immersing themselves in the situation by the necessity of the tourism industry that keeps the place preserved as a side show.

Like I said, I don't know the alternative. You can ask people to be respectful but people's idea of what is respectful differs. If you ban photos, then who gets to take the photos that preserve the presence of the place? Whose photographic evidence is carried on to future generations to show that, yes, this place really exists? The fact that some people use the photographic opportunity to fulfill the 'I was here' opportunity only shows that some people conflate simply being there with fully experiencing what was there. Mind you, I would rather a bunch of airheads have the opportunity to experience what was there, even if they do feel compelled to pull a Zoolander face while they're at it. The alternative is that history only belongs to a select few.
Old 24 July 2014, 02:10 AM

Baseball

A person really doesn't have to smile for every single picture they're in. Not every shot has to be a front view looking at the camera either; maybe a profile shot is more appropriate. The first pic of the guy at Treblinka really isn't that bad. Not sure about the hat / hoodie though. Usually it's a sign of respect for a man to remove his hat or head covering; but sometimes not, of course, usually for religious reasons.
Old 24 July 2014, 03:00 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
When I visited Dachau I took pictures, but I don't have any pictures with people in them.
I have pictures with people in them, they're just not pictures of people, if you get what I mean. I took no pictures inside the buildings at either site because I felt that would be disrespectful.

FYI, the gift shops at Auschwitz sell almost exclusively books about the holocaust, in a wide variety of languages. Also, the guides take it very seriously. There isn't a lot of smiling or false enthusiasm.

Seaboe