snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 10 June 2014, 04:30 PM

Default Police: Injuries reported in Oregon high school shooting

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/10/justic...hool-shooting/

Quote:
Injuries, but no deaths, were reported in a Tuesday morning shooting at a high school near Portland, Oregon, police agencies said.
About an hour after the shooting, Oregon State Police said the area was secure, and that the situation is contained. No one was killed in the shooting, state police spokesman Lt. Greg Hastings said.
The shooting happened at about 8 a.m. PT at Reynolds High School in Troutdale, about 12 miles east of Portland, said Sue Strickland of the Troutdale Police Department.
Old 10 June 2014, 04:36 PM

Ho-hum, another day in paradise. At least no one was killed, and more importantly, we still have our Second Amendment rights.
Old 10 June 2014, 04:44 PM

The Oregonian website says the shooter is dead. http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/in...incart_m-rpt-1
That article will get live updates.
Old 10 June 2014, 05:04 PM

Yeah, I see now on an MSNBC press report with school and law officials, that the one student shot has died. Bummer.
Old 10 June 2014, 05:59 PM

Like many such incidents, there were reports initially of more than one gunman. Specifically, there were reports of two additional gunmen.

The Oregonian reports that students are saying the confusion was because two other students were found carrying guns when they were patted down. If true, it's very disturbing that two students might have just been carrying guns for some other reason--or no particular reason.
Old 11 June 2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Like many such incidents, there were reports initially of more than one gunman. Specifically, there were reports of two additional gunmen.

The Oregonian reports that students are saying the confusion was because two other students were found carrying guns when they were patted down. If true, it's very disturbing that two students might have just been carrying guns for some other reason--or no particular reason.
[sarcasm]They were just protecting their second amendment rights....No big deal, right.

Doesn't mean that law enforcement will think they were with the shooter, or any of the other scenarios that have been suggested anytime the idea of guns in schools is brought up.[/sarcasm]
Old 11 June 2014, 03:47 PM

Someone please tell me I'm wrong when I think that if one of these other students who'd brought guns to school had shot the shooter, the NRA would be rallying around it as evidence we should arm students for their safety.
Old 11 June 2014, 03:52 PM

Though if everyone has guns, it would be extremely easy for the person shooting the shooter to be mistaken for the original shooter, and shot by someone else being a hero. Rinse and repeat.
Old 11 June 2014, 04:14 PM

Very much so.

And the "let's arm everyone for 'safety'" crowd tends to pretend that A) bullets always hit what they're aimed at and B) bullets always stop once they've hit what they're aimed at.
Old 12 June 2014, 02:31 AM

I know better because in the movies they get knocked back 20 feet and then a bus runs them over and kills them dead. [/sarcasm]
Old 12 June 2014, 03:50 AM

I think the "let's arm everyone for safety" crowd doesn't think that far. They think "why would anyone attack when it would be suicide?" - thus forgetting that 1) many of these shootings involve suicides or at least not expecting to survive and 2) many of the people who do these things also don't think that far.
Old 12 June 2014, 05:07 AM

Some additional details: The shooter was armed with an AR-15 and a semiautomatic handgun. He had 9 fully loaded magazines with hundreds of rounds of ammunition. He got the weapons from his parent. They were reportedly "secured," but "the security measures were defeated." He was 15. The student he shot and killed was 14. A teacher tried to intervene, and was grazed by a bullet to the hip. The teacher rushed to the administration office and the school went into lockdown.
Old 12 June 2014, 12:52 PM

The only silver lining in this story is that the school had done drills for a lockdown. Having prepared and practiced for this was probably useful--a little less panic, and a quick response by students, teachers, and police. I wish I could say this is a good thing--but practicing for a school shooting and laying out procedures for a lockdown to save lives--suggests that we know more about this kind of shooting and how it happens then how we might prevent them from happening.
Mental health issues in adolescents often go relatively unnoticed--older youth spend less time at home, may spend more time isolated from family (studying, holed up in a room with TV, games, computers). It is harder to know what is happening.

Ali
Old 12 June 2014, 01:37 PM

I don't think we should assume that a gunman necessarily has mental health issues.
Old 12 June 2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
I don't think we should assume that a gunman necessarily has mental health issues.
I was having a similar conversation with co-workers the other day since we just had the shooting here in Vegas.

We always assume that the person was mentally ill, but it's a false assumption.

Just because someone kills another person, it does not mean they're mentally ill.
Old 12 June 2014, 03:39 PM

Yeah, the second that there's a shooting, there's a rush of armchair psychologists who want to diagnose the shooter with everything from Autism to schizophrenia. It doesn't help the situation at all and honestly hurts people who actually have such conditions.
Old 12 June 2014, 04:06 PM

I agree, although this shooter, apparently, killed himself. So, if he expressed suicidal thoughts, that might have been an indicator. However, I had suicidal thoughts as a teen too and this is far from unusual.
My earlier point is that with teens, it can be hard to know what a given teen is experiencing, or to predict their actions. For reasons that include their development--mental and physical, their social situation and influences, their social environment--home, family, school, neighborhood.
With adults, there may be some history--on social media, with law enforcement, etc that may give some clue--but all of this is still thin ice for making decisions. Mental health proceedings work differently in different jurisdictions--lawyers I have known try very hard to make good decisions about committing people to treatment, but there is very little black and white there either.
So, what we seem to be left is having schools develop lockdown policies and hold drills. And hope they never need implement them.

Ali
Old 12 June 2014, 04:11 PM

Or rethinking our attitude to guns. License them. Register them. Insure them. Ban private sales. Inspect all guns annually. Crack down on carelessness and lawlessness with serious penalties. Develop effective trigger lock technology and mandate it.

(This is my compromise position).
Old 12 June 2014, 05:06 PM

From everything reported so far, the shooter seemed normal to everyone around him. A kid who rode the bus with him every day was shocked that he was the shooter. This is not one of those cases where everyone says afterwards that they could see it coming.