snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 21 February 2014, 03:59 PM

Chef Lasagna recipes

In our never ending quest to 'eat healthy' I am wondering if others would mind sharing lasagna recipes that involve vegetables. Either as part of the sauce layers or as a substitute for the noodle layers. I have a wonderful go to recipe but it's heavy on the meat the noodles and the cheese - but it's so yummy .

If anyone has any other veggie friendly recipes to share that confirmed carnivores won't whine over that would be great as well!
Old 21 February 2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
In our never ending quest to 'eat healthy' I am wondering if others would mind sharing lasagna recipes that involve vegetables. Either as part of the sauce layers or as a substitute for the noodle layers. I have a wonderful go to recipe but it's heavy on the meat the noodles and the cheese - but it's so yummy .

If anyone has any other veggie friendly recipes to share that confirmed carnivores won't whine over that would be great as well!
My father used to substitute slices of eggplant for the noodles. (Sprinkle them with salt and place between two layers of paper towels for a few minutes to draw off the extra moisture, then brush off as much of the salt as you can before putting them in.)

You can put really anything you want between the layers--whatever may be handy. (I once knew someone who put hard boiled eggs in!)
Old 21 February 2014, 04:05 PM

One way to healthy up lasagna is to use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese (cheaper too). Depending on what you buy, you can cut a significant amount of fat from the lasagna.
Old 21 February 2014, 04:10 PM

Spinach works well between the layers. It packs a big nutritional punch but is unobtrusive enough not to annoy the carnivores. :-)
Old 21 February 2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
One way to healthy up lasagna is to use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese (cheaper too). Depending on what you buy, you can cut a significant amount of fat from the lasagna.
But it doesn't taste as good.
Old 21 February 2014, 04:30 PM

How do you feel about butternut squash? I make a squash lasagna using a white/bechamel sauce instead of a red sauce, lots of mashed cooked butternut, and some ricotta and mozzarella - you can go lighter on the cheese because the squash layer provides the bulk of the filling (some people skip the ricotta altogether in their recipes), but I like the flavor combination of the squash and the ricotta. Here's the basics:

Sauce: I sautée some finely diced onions in butter until translucent, then add flour to make a roux. Add milk and cook to thicken. I season with a good handful of chiffonade-sliced fresh sage leaves and a bit of black pepper.

Fillings: -Butternut squash - I halve the squash, scoop out the seeds, prick the skins and roast face down until soft. Mash the cooked flesh of the squash with a bit of butter and some salt, pepper and nutmeg.

-Ricotta: Mix ricotta with a beaten egg and some more thinly sliced sage.

-Shredded mozzarella

Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of your pan, lay in a bed of noodles, and then alternate layers however you like, finishing with a layer of sauce topped with a sprinkling of mozzarella. Garnish with more sage and bake.

OK, so with the cream sauce and the cheeses, it may not be the most healthy recipe, but it's got a vegetable as a main ingredient, so there.
Old 21 February 2014, 04:30 PM

I've done lasagna with very finely chopped veggies added to either the cheese mixture or the sauce. You need to cook them first. A typical combo would be something like onions, peppers, broccoli, and carrots, cut so finely as to almost be minced. Saute them in a nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray until they are tender, then let them cool a bit if you're adding them to the cheese, or just mix them into your tomato-based sauce.
Old 21 February 2014, 11:32 PM

Chef

Ground turkey or chicken can replace beef - leaner and healthier but still...meaty for the carnivores

Spinach works well in lasagna chopped and mixed w the cheese, or as a noodle substitute.

We add lots of veggies to our tomato sauce - broccoli, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, peas. Chopping the veggies finely and pre-cooking makes them blend in more with the sauce, texture-wise, if that helps with the audience. Not a big olive fan but if you like them black olives are good too, I hear.

When it's in a larger dish, I can't tell the difference between full-fat and part-skim ricotta. (I don't like fat-free ricotta at all, though, personally).

Don't have a specific recipe - we kind of eyeball what's in the fridge/pantry/garden and improvise from there.
Old 22 February 2014, 12:08 AM

I made lasagna this summer with zucchini as the noodle layer. It worked well but I was more worried about using up a monster zucchini from my garden than making the recipe completely healthy. It helped that I have a mandolin slicer that made really thin slices.
Old 25 February 2014, 01:28 PM

Second the eggplant and zucchini suggestions (or aubergine and courgette, as they're known here). I've made lasagne with aubergine pasta, vegetarian mince and my own made dairy free sauce and goats cheese (cow dairy makes me unwell). It's like crossed between a lasagne and a moussaka.

Another suggestion is substitute a chopped tomato sauce for the white sauce entirely and to use a low fat cheese on the top.
Old 06 March 2014, 02:04 AM

Thanks everyone, lots of great suggestions! I made lasagna yesterday and added spinach to the cottage cheese and egg layers. It worked out really well! Next I think I'll try the eggplant idea .