snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 07 March 2013, 02:50 PM

Chef I am looking for pancake recipes

I really would like to make American Pancakes like my Aunt made them. I have a recipe from a book, but they seem a bit too bland, not like she made them. Since my Aunt isn't around anymore, I can not ask her about the recipe.

Basically, the recipe I have is flour, eggs, sugar, pinch of salt, milk and some baking powder for fluffiness.
Is any American snopster willing to share their traditional Pancake recipe with me? Maybe with an option how to convert it to the metric system? I always have trouble with converting "2 cups of this" to grams or liters
Old 07 March 2013, 03:21 PM

Canada

It's not an old family recipe (my mother's secret ingredient was a box of Eggos), but I've had excellent results using Alton Brown's method for "instant" pancakes.
Old 07 March 2013, 03:36 PM

I use a recipe similar to this one:
http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-pancakes-147555
It has metric conversions if you click the link

When I used to live in the co-op, I was Friday morning breakfast cook which was short order. Iíd keep strawberries, blueberries, peaches, pecans, cinnamon and sugar mixed, raisins, banana slices, chocolate chips, etc. and do mix ins. If you want fruit, etc. Put that on your pancake about 15 seconds after you first pour the batter so you get a little seal on it first. Keeps Ďem from falling out when you turn them.

I keep my pancakes on the smaller side so they donít get mushy or fall apart. AND I can have a peach pecan pancake and then a cinnamon raisin pancake on the same breakfast.

One of my favorite places to get recipes is Homesick Texan:
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/20...-pancakes.html

And one of the favorite things to get in Austin is gingerbread pancakes at Magnolia Cafe.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...ipe/index.html
Though I have to admit my momís way is better: make gingerbread batter and cook it in your waffle iron. When done, top with applesauce and a little whipped cream.
Old 07 March 2013, 03:39 PM

Butter seems to be missing from your list. Not for the batter necessarily, but in the pan. Definitely adds to the flavor.

I also second the Alton Brown suggestion, too. I have used it, and even have some left in the pantry I think. My immediate family was more about making crepes than pancakes, but I'm pretty sure bisquick pancake mix was part of my grandma's "old family recipe"
Old 07 March 2013, 04:04 PM

Try adding a pinch of baking soda to the mix and substituting buttermilk, plain yogurt or even sour cream for your milk (or half to 3/4 of your milk for the thicker alternatives). You can also add some lemon juice.

A bit of vanilla extract can give a bit of a flavor boost as well.
Old 07 March 2013, 04:45 PM

Advice to self: Don't read food threads when you have another 3 hours of work left
Old 07 March 2013, 07:05 PM

My favorite comes from Cook's Illustrated. Here's a link to the recipe. ETA: The recipe comes with lots of extra information. Good luck!

Last edited by tagurit; 07 March 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07 March 2013, 07:14 PM

I like to make thin pancakes (extra milk or buttermilk) and then fill them with a blend of cream cheese, a good dose of cinnamon, and sugar or honey to taste. Then roll them up and stack them, and as we say in Georgia, "That's right good eatin'!"
Old 07 March 2013, 07:19 PM

My first though would be, as musicgeek suggests, to use buttermilk. So something like this recipe (I've not used it, but it looks solid).
Old 07 March 2013, 07:52 PM

This is the actual recipe I use, which is adapted from the Cooks recipe. I always use the file on my computer (at home) and couldn't remember where the recipe came from, at first, just that it uses buttermilk AND sour cream. Then it came to me and when I found it, it all came back to me. I devour recipes. I may try several before I delete all the others and settle on one best.

You'll love these pancakes, maybe even more than your Aunts, Gavida.
Old 07 March 2013, 10:18 PM

Icon23

Thank you all for your help

I see a lot of pancake weekends in the future, because I fear I have to try them all

I guess buttermilk instead of plain milk might be one of the things that I was missing.

And butter for the pan, I only used it between the pancakes, before pouring maple syrup over them. I will give it a try as well.
Old 07 March 2013, 11:19 PM

My wife makes perfect, light pancakes every time. She uses buttermilk and makes sure the cooking surface is well-oiled (she doesn't use butter, but peanut oil, which works well at high temperatures) and gets it really hot before beginning the pour. She tests it by dripping one small drop of water on the surface, and if the water droplet leaps and skitters about like a mouse on amphetamines, it's hot enough. Good luck!
Old 07 March 2013, 11:32 PM

Another one to try if you have enough time is yeast pancakes. Similar recipes except not baking powder or soda, but add a couple teaspoons of sugar and a package of yeast. Then let it rise in a warm place for about 30 min before cooking. For better taste let it rise over night in the refrigerator.
Old 07 March 2013, 11:55 PM

Once you get the hang of basic pancakes, you can add things, like chocolate chips or sliced fruit. (It works best to put the fruit on top of the pancake after you pour the batter.) You can mash bananas into the batter, too.

Or you can try cornmeal pancakes sometime. Those are actually my favorite of all.

ETA: If you have something that measures fluid ounces, you can measure cups. 8 fluid ounces is equivalent to one cup. There are 16 tablespoons in 1 cup (so a tablespoon is 1/2 of a fluid ounce) and 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon.
Old 08 March 2013, 01:03 AM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
She tests it by dripping one small drop of water on the surface, and if the water droplet leaps and skitters about like a mouse on amphetamines, it's hot enough.
Brad, you have such a way with words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Or you can try cornmeal pancakes sometime. Those are actually my favorite of all.
My mom made blue cornmeal pancakes with blueberries in them once. Very, very tasty. Although my son looked at her (he was maybe 4 at the time) and announced "Grandma! Those are purple berries!"

You guys all gave such great suggestions. And here I was going to be a smart ass and post this.
Old 08 March 2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavida View Post
IMaybe with an option how to convert it to the metric system? I always have trouble with converting "2 cups of this" to grams or liters
Ikea carries measuring cups and spoons with American measurements also marked.

We like buckwheat (buchweizenmehl) pancakes, which are a bit heavier. Actually I usually make 3B pancakes - pancakes with buttermilk, buckwheat and blueberries.

I use this recipe and drop some blueberries (frozen or fresh) on the pancakes before turning.
Old 08 March 2013, 08:57 PM

The other thread has made me think of how good Nutella is with pancakes....
Old 08 March 2013, 10:57 PM

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg (or 1/4 cup applesauce)
1 cup milk (or vanilla soy milk)
2 tablespoons oil

Here is the recipe I use with notes for the subs I use for Allergy Girl. If you use applesauce instead of eggs the pancakes turn out paler and take slightly longer to cook. I think they taste really good especially with the very vanilla soy milk.
Old 08 March 2013, 11:03 PM

Thanks to this thread, I had banana pancakes this morning. Yum.
Old 09 March 2013, 12:46 AM

could you share a German pancake recipe? MY aunt used to make German pancakes -- which were eggy and wonderful and cooked in the oven with apples much like a souffle ...