snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 14 July 2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post
My upstairs neighbours are on their balcony talking very loudly, which is mildly annoying but obviously well within their rights. The bigger annoyance is that from the sounds of it there's about 6 people having 3 different conversations all at the same time.
My upstairs neighbors are playing rap music on their balcony right now.
(I kinda wish I had a balcony, but that's not doable on the first floor. I do have a small patio, though).
Old 14 July 2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Starting next week the grocery store will start selling low-THC marijuana (High-CDB) cigarettes, which are legal. Some of the restaurants and cafes are bent out of shape because 1) some of their customers don't like the smell of marijuana and might get offended and 2) the restaurants and cafes MIGHT have to determine if the cannabis cigarettes are the legal type or not.
Speaking as a committed non-smoker, I find that pot has a far less offensive odor than tobacco does. I'd just as soon not smell either one, though.
Old 14 July 2017, 10:42 PM

The sink in my master bathroom is dripping. When I went to start fixing it I discovered there's no shutoff valve on the cold side (apparently because it would have interfered with the drawers on that side). So now I have to shut off the water to the whole house while I fix it.
Old 15 July 2017, 12:12 AM

Also, the main valve on my house apparently doesn't shut the water off completely -- there was still a slight trickle of water coming out when I took the faucet apart.

And Lowes doesn't carry parts for American Standard faucets, so I wasn't even able to do the repair today.
Old 17 July 2017, 02:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
some of their customers don't like the smell of marijuana and might get offended
Count me as one who doesn't like the smell (why would you voluntarily smell like a skunk?), but I'm not offended by it. I would, however, consider taking my business elsewhere (even if, in this case, it meant no longer eating out).

You have my sympathies.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2017, 02:30 PM

It doesn't all smell like skunk to me. In fact, last night I had an IPA that smelled the same as some weed I've smelled. Also, a woo-y friend gave me some sage for smudging, and the one time I burned it, it smelled like weed to me.

But I don't want any smoke around when I'm eating.
Old 17 July 2017, 02:37 PM

I don't want smoke around me. Ever. I am unreasonably annoyed that new neighbours are smokers. Mainly because they are not smoking in their house but in their backyard which means if I am in my backyard I smell it and if I have my windows open I also smell it. Not happy about this .

Anyway with regard to smoking in cafes and restaurants I am so glad this is not an issue here anymore. That fight was fought a few years back and now smoking in most (if not all) public places is a thing of the past. The new fight seems to be revolving around e-cigarettes. I think these are now being considered in the same way as tobacco products (and presumably marijuana should it be legalized). I've never been close enough to someone using an e-cigarette to know if there is a smell but there is concern about health risks.
Old 17 July 2017, 02:45 PM

In WA, where marijuana is legal, smoking it in public is illegal.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:04 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I've never been close enough to someone using an e-cigarette to know if there is a smell but there is concern about health risks.
The smell is subtle, and usual quite pleasant. More like a light perfume smell than smoke, in fact.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2017, 03:04 PM

The odor may be dependent on the flavoring (if any) that the user added.
Old 17 July 2017, 04:40 PM

Baseball

The unflavoured e-cigarettes have a chemical smell to them, and can smell like burning sugar.

Not as vile as regular cigarettes, but after a few moments in a car with a vaper and I want to open the windows.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:21 PM

Teacher

Science articles put together by people who don't understand the science involved.

Newsweek has an article titled: "Ross 128: Mystery Radio Signals Detected from Red Dwarf Star Just 11 Light Years Away". So what do they illustrate it with? A photo of NGC 4388, a galaxy 65 million light years away. Both objects are in Virgo, which is to say only that they're roughly in the same general direction. It's kind of like saying "I hear something scrabbling about in the eastern wall of my apartment" and illustrating it with a map of China.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:29 PM

There's a guy who sits in an open cube near me, and takes a lot of conference calls. He uses a headset, but unfortunately he's rather loud.

Especially annoying because odds are some of those conference calls are meetings in other buildings and he could get his ass up and go over there for some of them.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
The smell is subtle, and usual quite pleasant. More like a light perfume smell than smoke, in fact.
Many people find most perfume smells pleasant, but not everyone does.

IME "subtle" may also be at least partly in the nose of the smeller.

-- FWIW, I don't think burning marijuana smells like either skunk or perfume. Smells like grass to me -- in either sense of grass. While I am bothered by a lot of artificial and a few natural odors, I'm not bothered by that one, though I wouldn't want to be in a room thick with it unless I were deliberately joining in.
Old 18 July 2017, 12:51 AM

Marijuana smells very similar to skunk to me, though I wonder if it depends on the ... brand? variety? that is being smoked. My boyfriend lived with smokers during college and I used to get headaches when they would hotbox in the attic (not realizing it permeated through the house, since IME smokers aren't well able to smell their own smoke). I have a close friend who smokes, and sometimes the smell is particularly strong, and sometimes I wouldn't even know she'd been smoking from the smell of it alone.

I find the smell of marijuana really offputting, but actually find cigarette smoke to be somewhat pleasant- my mom smoked around us when we were kids, so I guess the nostalgia gives it a free pass. She never smoked in the house though, it was always in the car or out on the patio, so I never had to deal with that caked-in, stagnant cig smell that some people accumulate in their homes.
Old 18 July 2017, 01:01 AM

In my experience, some marijuana smells like skunks and some doesn't. And that's probably due to the strain being smoked. Also in my limited experience, not all weed would be described as "skunk weed" as it specifically means very pungent, and usually "good" (potent) marijuana. But apparently if you're British you would/could call all weed "skunk".

The link also describes the history of skunk weed. It's interesting.
Old 18 July 2017, 01:49 AM

When I hear skunk weed, I think of skunk cabbage. I thought that was its name until I just looked it up now. Seems that name is used for several different other plants as well and skunk weed isn't even mentioned on its wiki.

ETA Also, I thought Stinky on Sesame Street is a skunkweed. I just looked that up too and found out he's a 'stinkweed' which is actually a nickname for a bunch of other plants, not skunk cabbage. LTTAM - Just how much of what I know is wrong?!

Last edited by ganzfeld; 18 July 2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 18 July 2017, 03:06 AM

I've honestly never understood the whole weed = skunk smell thing. I've smelled a lot of it in my life and I've never encountered any that smelled even remotely like a skunk to me. I wonder if I've somehow managed to miss the skunk weed despite it all, or if this is one of those things like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people that I just don't get because I'm not wired like that.
Old 18 July 2017, 04:05 AM

It occurs to me to wonder whether the people who think marijuana smells like skunk have actually smelled skunks.

But maybe at least some of them have, and this is just one of those differences, like those that apparently make Febreeze smell good to some people and drive others out of any building containing the stuff.
Old 18 July 2017, 04:08 AM

The smell of Marijuana and the smell of burning marijuana can vary greatly. Some 'dank' weed can get a rather skunky smell about it when smoked. It can also smell quite strong when not smoked. But there are other varieties which have a rather mild smell.
Closed Thread