snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 15 July 2017, 08:19 PM

Vermont can feel like a parody of New England, so I can see why.
Old 15 July 2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
So a Facebook friend has been counting down to something on Facebook sense May 1st. The day he is counting down to is Monday, and he has said something the world will notice will happen in Burlington, VT. His wording is such that he doesn't appear to be involved, just predicting. By world changing, he means that the United States will never be the same afterwards.
Are you wondering whether to report this to somebody?

Maybe you should.
Old 16 July 2017, 09:02 AM

This was today's post:

"Last Day?....Pray like you've never prayed before."
Old 16 July 2017, 02:22 PM

I think I would report that.
Old 16 July 2017, 03:51 PM

I'm agreeing with the suggestion to report it... has anyone been commenting or responding to the posts?
Old 16 July 2017, 04:05 PM

Baseball

One of our national sports broadcasters has the:

Donald Trump loser of the week

Donald is becoming a cultural icon for losersl

Link to this week's loser... Miami Marlins owner
Old 16 July 2017, 07:43 PM

More cars: Yesterday I saw a McLaren while driving on Highway 37 in the Bar Area. I think maybe a 570S Spider, but they all kind of look alike. I don't think I've ever seen a McLaren in person before. We were in stop and go traffic, so he was totally using all of that 570 horsepower .
Old 17 July 2017, 03:11 AM

Devil

Watching a KFC commercial and suddenly want KFC. Well played, Colonel. Well played.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:41 PM

After years of complaining about the ubiquity of IPAs, and more generally craft brewing's obsession with over-hopping everything (there are other ways to make complex, challenging beers, people), I actually tried one that I liked.

It was a Voodoo Ranger IPA. Definitely hoppy, but not obnoxiously so. The bartender said it tasted like grapefruit and grass, and he wasn't wrong (well, at least about the grapefruit -- I've never eaten grass). Probably a better choice for last night, when I'd been outside and active for hours on a warm summer day, than my usual dark, malty, liquid-bread choice.

Overall, though, I still prefer Fat Tire from the same brewery (New Belgium).
Old 17 July 2017, 03:45 PM

Glasses

WildaBeast, that reminded me that I meant to post this last week:

'Life is ridiculous': Why two dozen Lamborghinis rolled through downtown Seattle.

I didn't get to see them, though.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
After years of complaining about the ubiquity of IPAs, and more generally craft brewing's obsession with over-hopping everything (there are other ways to make complex, challenging beers, people), I actually tried one that I liked.
A few years ago I went to a beer tasting and had the same experience. It was an IPA that somehow managed to be hoppy without being bitter. Unfortunately I didn't think to take note of what it was -- it was the last beer I tasted that day and I was probably a bit buzzed by that point. I just tasted it because I'd already tasted every non-IPA beer there and had one more tasting ticket left.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:20 PM

Exactly! I was actually able to enjoy the astringent and refreshing qualities that people praise in IPAs, but that for me have always been overwhelmed by bitterness.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:17 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
This was today's post:

"Last Day?....Pray like you've never prayed before."
My friend apparently got a visit from some Feds today, don't know how that could have happened. He is basically saying that things can't happen as fast as in one day, but things will still happen, and hes just reporting not instigating.
Old 18 July 2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
My friend apparently got a visit from some Feds today, don't know how that could have happened. He is basically saying that things can't happen as fast as in one day, but things will still happen, and hes just reporting not instigating.
I was wondering about what ended up happening with this, thanks for the update.
Old 18 July 2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
A tarantula bite won't kill you, but some of them can make you pretty miserable.
Very well, I suppose I'll go back to being terrified of all terrestrial creatures with eight legs.
Quote:
Vermont can feel like a parody of New England, so I can see why.
It's been a while since a comment reminded me how much I miss sig lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
A few years ago I went to a beer tasting and had the same experience. It was an IPA that somehow managed to be hoppy without being bitter.
IMS, adding hops earlier in the brewing process produces more bitterness while adding them later produces more of those subtle herbal aromas. Most brewers add some amount of hops at a couple different stages, and few describe their process in a public forum in any significant detail, so this information is entirely unhelpful in identifying other IPAs you might like. But if you ever decide to make your own..
Old 18 July 2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Has it occurred to him that Facebook is not where one is supposed to report such things (presuming that something actually exists to report)?

At any rate I'm glad it's being looked into; and that Burlington is apparently still there.
Old 18 July 2017, 04:01 PM

Actually something big did occur yesterday/last evening. The republican health care act is being withdrawn in the Senate.
Old 18 July 2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
My friend apparently got a visit from some Feds today, don't know how that could have happened.
Overreach by jackbooted thugs, obviously.
Old 18 July 2017, 04:47 PM

Glasses

So, the new 520 bridge.

It always bottle-necks at the west end (when going west) because it narrows from three lanes to two, and for some reason, from the west-high rise to I-5 people in the right lane drive under the speed limit (which is 50, which made sense before they rebuilt the bridge, but doesn't really any more). Up until yesterday, it also bottle-necked because more than half the people in the right lane were preparing to exit to either Montlake or Lake Washington Blvd.

Yesterday, they opened the new exit to Montlake & Lake Washington Blvd. Unfortunately, it made no difference. The right lane from the high rise to I-5 was still crowded with cars whose drivers apparently think 50 is un*odly fast.

Luckily, I will only be driving this route for another week. Unluckily, I will then be replacing it with a worse one (either up I-5 past the I-90 interchange or the Viaduct, which is in the process of being torn down in favor of a tunnel that will accommodate fewer cars than the Viaduct does).

Seaboe
Old 18 July 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, there's been a bit of an arms race among brewers trying to make the next eye-watering IPA (or double IPA), so much so that a lot of them are both really bitter and have a high ABV. I don't know if you can get Ballast Point beers in your area (they're from California, but I can get their stuff here in Chicago), but they make a nice IPA called Sculpin (they name a lot of their beers after fish), which is pretty balanced. They also make one called Grapefruit Sculpin, which is just the same thing brewed with grapefruit - I think the sweetness of the fruit cuts some of the bitterness but it's one of my favorite beers.

I like just about everything I've had from New Belgium (I agree about Fat Tire, I always seem to have some in the fridge).