snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 24 April 2013, 02:13 AM

Default Screen time worse than sedentary time for children, study suggests

When it comes to the risk of heart disease in children, too many hours spent in front of TV, computer and video game screens is worse than other sedentary time like reading a book, a new Canadian study suggests.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/S...604/story.html
Old 24 April 2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
We know that when we engage in screen time, we eat more. So this excess caloric consumption with screen time is probably a key explanation here," said Chaput, a professor in the department of pediatrics at the University of Ottawa.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/S...#ixzz2RLOOOfz6
In other words it doesn't appear that TV/Games are worse than books, rather that eating more is worse than eating less.
Old 24 April 2013, 02:33 AM

Who eats more when playing video games? I eat less since my mind and hands are occupied.
Old 24 April 2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
In other words it doesn't appear that TV/Games are worse than books, rather that eating more is worse than eating less.
But the point is that TV/Games encourages overeating while reading doesn't. I wish I'd had this study to point to back when I was a kid and my mother was wrestling books out of my hand as she shoved me out the door!
Old 24 April 2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
But the point is that TV/Games encourages overeating while reading doesn't.
Why do you think so?
Old 24 April 2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Why do you think so?
Perhaps I've misunderstood the study. Wasn't that the point?
Old 24 April 2013, 02:58 AM

They showed an association, not what's encouraging what. I don't take these kinds of quotes to be very convincing: "It's well known that..." or "We know that..." I guess I should read the actual study to get a better idea of what evidence is there. (Unfortunately, I don't see where the actual publication is mentioned in the article. )
Old 24 April 2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Who eats more when playing video games? I eat less since my mind and hands are occupied.
I was wondering about that as well. I don't play video games but I am addicted to a few Facebook games and, if anything, once I'm immersed in a game it keeps me away from the fridge. On the other hand I've seen the junk food my kids could put away when they were playing Nintendo and camputer games so I guess it depends on the person and on the kind of game you're playing.
Old 24 April 2013, 03:22 AM

To me that isn't controlling for a variable though. It's like saying baseball fans are violent because they often drink a lot and get in fights, when in reality it would be drunk people are more violent.

ETA: Also I agree that typically I eat less when I'm playing videogames than TV or movies.
Old 24 April 2013, 03:36 AM

I have to give this article a C- at best. I did find the study and I can't say that it supports any of the article's points at all. What they found was (in what was not the primary aim of the study) that kids (with at least one obese biological parent) who self-reported more screen time also were more likely to have these heart health indicators. They didn't otherwise find out what else the kids were doing in their "sedentary" time - reading comics, melting legos with a lighter, or watching the grass grow, etc. - despite the fact that they were measuring activity with accelerometers (and finding that very active periods were - surprise surprise - associated with healthy heart signs) It's a huge leap to suggest that this means so-called "screen time" (IMO a silly catchall term to begin with) is worse than book time.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 24 April 2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 24 April 2013, 05:40 AM

Huh... interesting. I've been known to eat while reading...
Old 24 April 2013, 06:51 AM

Me too, Ducky. I would say I eat more while reading than while playing video games, since I usually play games that are active and/or require both hands on the controls. I can turn the pages of a book one handed, especially with my new (to me) Kindle.

Sue, I often got shoved out the door as a kid, but mom knew better than to try and pry my books free. That probably would have required surgery, or at best years of counselling for trauma. I once rode into a tree while trying to ride my bike and read at the same time.
Old 24 April 2013, 06:54 AM

I can show you books whose pages still bear the marks of taco-flavored Doritos consumed back in the late 1970's. Eating while I read is hardly uncommon. (In fact I almost always read while eating, if I'm eating alone.)

Not to say that I don't also eat while watching TV. While playing video games, not so much. (While playing table-top RPG's, on the other hand...)
Old 24 April 2013, 11:44 AM

What about me? I'm reading this thread on a screen while eating sweets - healthy or unhealthy, Vancouver Sun?

And E.Q. Taft, our RPGs were usually suspended when the pizza guy rang the bell, in order not to soil character sheets and dice. So we were eating in between playing...
Old 24 April 2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I can show you books whose pages still bear the marks of taco-flavored Doritos consumed back in the late 1970's. Eating while I read is hardly uncommon. (In fact I almost always read while eating, if I'm eating alone.
I don't think the study said no one ever eats when they read.
Old 24 April 2013, 02:39 PM

I believe the various responses are to Sue's statement that TV/Games encourage overeating where as reading does not.
Old 24 April 2013, 02:54 PM

Exercising more or sitting less: which is more important for children?

A CHEO-led study of more than 500 children released Tuesday found that kids who exercised fared better, even if they spent a lot of time on the couch after.

Although many countries offer exercise guidelines for children, Canada is the only one with guidelines for both exercise and screen time: one hour of moderate to vigorous physical activity each day, and screen time limited to two hours a day.

CHEO researcher Jean-Philippe Chaput, a professor of preventive medicine at the University of Ottawa, wanted to tease out which was more important.

He and his colleagues at the Université de Montréal, McGill University, and Laval University found that when it comes to risks for heart disease and Type 2 diabetes, being physically active throughout the day matters more than limiting the amount of time kids spend sitting.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/...535/story.html

Much better article that discusses the study in more detail.