snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 19 June 2018, 04:43 PM

Default Smoking hits all-time low in U.S.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ow-u-s-n884621

Quote:
About 14 percent of U.S adults were smokers last year, down from about 16 percent the year before, government figures show.

. . .

In the early 1960s, roughly 42 percent of U.S. adults smoked.
Old 19 June 2018, 04:48 PM

I'm old enough to remember a time when "everyone" smoked. I can still recall going to a doctor as a child and while I don't think he was smoking with us in the office he had an overflowing ashtray on his desk! I can also remember getting burned on the arm because of a careless smoker in the middle of a mall.

We've been going through our boxes in our decluttering and prepping the house for sale endeavour and came across a collection of matchbooks and boxes that my husband (always a staunch non-smoker) had made. It wasn't so very long ago that many restaurants and other businesses gave these away, what struck me most though were how many souvenir matchbooks we had from weddings - even into the 80s and early 90s.
Old 19 June 2018, 05:01 PM

I've been converting 8mm home movies (film) to digital. The high number of people that smoked is downright puzzling.

I'm glad that's declining.

One thing that's worrisome is that lots of younger folks are vaping. That's hardly any better than smoking.

OY
Old 19 June 2018, 05:11 PM

Heavt breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I'm old enough to remember a time when "everyone" smoked.

You and me both! Who here remembers cigarette vending machines?
Old 19 June 2018, 05:55 PM

My parents never smoked, and were vehemently against it for health reasons.

Whenever we had visitors who might want to smoke, however, they got out the ashtrays. It was just what you did. Telling visitors they couldn't smoke in the house would have been considered horribly rude.
Old 19 June 2018, 06:01 PM

This is good news. I was living in California when the state banned smoking in bars, and people were outraged, especially the bar owners who knew they were going to go out of business. Well, it turned out a lot of people liked being able to come home NOT reeking of smoke.

I also remember going through old plans at my last office. The plans stank of cigarette smoke after being packed away for decades, and several of them had small cigarette burns on them. The world has changed a lot relatively quickly.
Old 19 June 2018, 06:41 PM

Heavt breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
My parents never smoked.
My father did, but quit when I was around 4 years old. Thirty years later, he still got cravings but never went back. I think the cost of a pack, plus the health effects, kept him on the wagon. Sadly, he did not live long enough to see e-cig technology. I find it amazing how powerful a nicotine addiction is!
My family used to joke that it was a very good thing my mother never took up the habit--she'd be the biggest chain smoker the world had ever seen!
Old 19 June 2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
My family used to joke that it was a very good thing my mother never took up the habit--she'd be the biggest chain smoker the world had ever seen!
I smoked three cigarettes in high school, when I was sixteen; mostly because I wasn't supposed to (did I say I was sixteen?). There was something about that third one that made me suspect that if I smoked a fourth I'd never get stopped again.

I am massively grateful to my sixteen-year-old self for never taking that fourth cigarette. Alcohol and marijuana I can take or leave. Tobacco I'm afraid would have been another matter entirely.
Old 19 June 2018, 07:58 PM

I'm going to admit that I think the idea of smoking seems pretty cool. You look like you're breathing fire and you have something to do with your hands and mannerisms when in potentially awkward social situations.

But personally, nicotine does not agree with me at all. There hasn't been a time where I've had a cigarette and felt anything but kind of drunk, as in how you feel at the end of the night when you've had too much and feel completely nauseated.

My dad smoked until his dad died of cancer when I was four. He moved on to cigars for another decade or so until my sister convinced him they would kill him, too.

My brother is the only adult in my whole family who smokes and I think he started when he was around 13 with friends who snuck cigarettes from their parents.
Old 19 June 2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
One thing that's worrisome is that lots of younger folks are vaping. That's hardly any better than smoking.
And that statement is based on what? "Hardly and better"?
Old 19 June 2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
And that statement is based on what? "Hardly and better"?
Lots of people and companies try to make it sounds like vaping is "safe", because it's slightly "safer" than cigarettes (no tar, no combustion bi-products, etc).

OY
Old 19 June 2018, 09:35 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
...Who here remembers cigarette vending machines?
I can't remember where it was, but I recently ran into a re-purposed cigarette vending machine. I explained what it was, and how it worked, to the young people who were with me as they had never heard of such a thing.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:11 PM

I was born in 1980, and I remember cigarette vending machines in restaurants during my childhood. This was in North Carolina, though. Being a tobacco growing state they might have been one of the last places to ban them. In fact I remember hearing debate about whether they should be banned on the news, probably around the late 80s or early 90s timeframe.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Lots of people and companies try to make it sounds like vaping is "safe", because it's slightly "safer" than cigarettes (no tar, no combustion bi-products, etc).

OY
I am aware of no scientific studies that state that vaping is "hardly better" than smoking. What little data is available suggests it is significantly safer since virtually all the components in cigarette smoke that have been identified as causing the adverse health effects are absent. Nicotine in and of itself (at cigarette does levels) has never really been linked to any health problems other than addiction. "Tar" is a complex mixture of products that include most of the toxic and carcinogenic components of cigarette smoke. AFAIK the NIH and CDC have largely refrained from making a concrete, evidence based health statement on vaping since there is little data.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:

OY
Which, of course, is downplaying the fact that nicotine itself is the real cause of most smoking-related cancers.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:58 PM

It's my impression that there's also insufficient data on the stuff one is inhaling when vaping; and that one does inhale things in addition to the nicotine, those things varying depending on what's in the particular product.

"Insufficient data" doesn't mean "definitely unsafe", of course. And vaping may well be a better choice for people previously addicted to smoking. But that's not the same thing as saying it's a good idea for people who weren't already addicted.
Old 19 June 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
My father did, but quit when I was around 4 years old. Thirty years later, he still got cravings but never went back. ...
I quite smoking in 1976. I was at 2-1/2 packs a day. I tried cold turkey and failed. Instead, I weaned myself off of them one at a time. I eliminated the first one of the day. Got used to that, then eliminated the next one. Eventually, I was almost up to noon. Then, one day, I was at mid-afternoon when I realized i was "past due." For some reason, that next coffin nail sickened me horribly, upchucking, the whole works. That was my last ciggy butt.

Recently, I was walking with DW at the local park. We were passed by someone smoking a cigarette walking in the opposite direction. I got a strong whiff of the smoke, and my body went

"WOW!!!!" "You want one of those!"

The reaction was powerful and visceral. 42 years later, and my body still remembers.
Old 20 June 2018, 12:16 AM

Addiction is a powerful force.
Old 20 June 2018, 01:59 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Which, of course, is downplaying the fact that nicotine itself is the real cause of most smoking-related cancers.
Cite, please. Thank you.

Seaboe
Old 20 June 2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I am aware of no scientific studies that state that vaping is "hardly better" than smoking. What little data is available suggests it is significantly safer since virtually all the components in cigarette smoke that have been identified as causing the adverse health effects are absent. Nicotine in and of itself (at cigarette does levels) has never really been linked to any health problems other than addiction. "Tar" is a complex mixture of products that include most of the toxic and carcinogenic components of cigarette smoke. AFAIK the NIH and CDC have largely refrained from making a concrete, evidence based health statement on vaping since there is little data.
I'm not sure what you're trying to get to here. Are you trying to say that vaping is "safe"?

As per the CDC's website:

Quote:
Are e-cigarettes less harmful than regular cigarettes?

Yes—but that doesn’t mean e-cigarettes are safe. E-cigarette aerosol generally contains fewer toxic chemicals than the deadly mix of 7,000 chemicals in smoke from regular cigarettes. However, e-cigarette aerosol is not harmless. It can contain harmful and potentially harmful substances, including nicotine, heavy metals like lead, volatile organic compounds, and cancer-causing agents.
OY