snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > College

Old 18 October 2013, 09:17 PM

Teacher Were Brutalist Buildings on College Campuses Really Designed to Thwart Student Riots?

Were Brutalist Buildings on College Campuses Really Designed to Thwart Student Riots?

Quote:
Chances are good that if you went to college in the United States after, say, 1975, your campus featured at least one imposing, bunker-like concrete building in the architectural style known as “Brutalism.”
Assuming that your campus did have a Brutalist building, you’ve probably been told a lie about it that goes something like, “Hideous, right? The administration chose that design because it was good at preventing student riots and occupations.”
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2...ent_riots.html
Old 18 October 2013, 09:31 PM

If any building were to be build to withstand riots, wouldn't it be the student union, more specifically, the kitchens? I mean, you've already got large pots, large stoves, and large supplies of cooking oil...
Old 18 October 2013, 09:47 PM

My understanding is that Brutalist buildings look imposing. They aren't really brutal
Old 18 October 2013, 10:41 PM

People said that about the Radio-Television center at Ohio University, although it's not a Brutalist building.
Old 18 October 2013, 10:44 PM

France

The term is actually from French for 'raw concrete': béton brut
Old 18 October 2013, 10:52 PM

Yep. Heard that at UT

http://www.utwatch.org/security/index.html

Peter T. Flawn Academic Center
http://www.cah.utexas.edu/exhibits/B...ge/large5.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/army_arch/5433604838/

It wasn't that the buildings would exactly stop riots, but that they plopped this one down right where the students used to gather. I'd also heard that about all the planters and stuff on the west mall. Not as many people could gather at once.

Of course, this ignores the truth that by going to the south mall, you have two blocks of more or less open gathering space. Charles Whitman certain figured this out.
Old 18 October 2013, 11:09 PM

It's not a Brutalist building, but I heard it about Dulles Hall at Ohio State (specifically, that the sloping sills at the bottom of the windows are so Molotov cocktails roll back out). It also was said to have a reinforced roof so the university administration could evacuate by helicopter.
Old 21 October 2013, 01:07 PM

Whalephant

It's what they always claimed about UW-Madison's hideously ugly and idiotically designed Humanities Building.
Old 21 October 2013, 02:31 PM

Well, kitap I'd always heard the architect built that in the hope that people would stand in front of it and proclaim, "oh, the humanities" in honor of his uncle Herbert Morrison.

Photo "I'll take obscure references for $200, Alex" Bob
Old 21 October 2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
It also was said to have a reinforced roof so the university administration could evacuate by helicopter.
Of course, student riots are the only reason that it might be useful to have at least one helicopter-sturdy roof in the campus, right? (I don't know the OSU campus, so maybe there are plenty of open areas where a helicopter could land, but there are lots of campuses where you could not unless there was a reinforced roof handy - in my area both Ga Tech and Ga State)
Old 21 October 2013, 04:37 PM

The Admin building at Michigan State University is not Brutalist, but when I was in school in the 80s people said it had been designed to withstand riots.
Old 21 October 2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Of course, student riots are the only reason that it might be useful to have at least one helicopter-sturdy roof in the campus, right? (I don't know the OSU campus, so maybe there are plenty of open areas where a helicopter could land, but there are lots of campuses where you could not unless there was a reinforced roof handy - in my area both Ga Tech and Ga State)
Open areas, plus a couple hospital heliports either associated with the school (Ohio State) or located near the campus (Riverside). There's an airport, too, but it's several miles from the main campus.
Old 01 November 2013, 06:29 AM

Ive heard that the stairways of UTSA were designed to be wide enough to allow accessibility for army tanks (UTSA was constructed in 1969).

Old 19 November 2013, 01:51 AM

Rice University's Brutalist Lovett College is said to have been built to be riot-proof. I'm disturbed by how bothered I would be if I were to discover that that isn't in fact the case. The OP columnist doesn't say which schools/architects he contacted besides Yale, and his general critiques of the reasons given for the alleged UL don't apply to the Rice story the way I heard it when I was there. So perhaps I will choose to continue to believe that maybe it's a UL at other schools, but it's true at Rice.
Old 19 November 2013, 03:03 AM

The Brutalist buildings on UF's campus are really striking in their ugliness when you compare them to the older Gothic architecture on campus, complete with friezes and gargoyles (which I love!).
Old 19 November 2013, 03:13 AM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
Ive heard that the stairways of UTSA were designed to be wide enough to allow accessibility for army tanks (UTSA was constructed in 1969).
Hey, that's my alma mater! Home of the first bookless library:

http://utsa.edu/today/2013/03/aetlibrary.html
Old 19 November 2013, 01:23 PM

So the difference between a bookless library and a computer lab is study rooms and white boards?
Old 02 January 2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
So the difference between a bookless library and a computer lab is study rooms and white boards?
I'm pretty sure that means that all te books are digitized or something like that.
Old 18 March 2015, 02:06 AM

I went to college after 1979 and there wasn't anything remotely resembling a Brutalist on our campus. Maybe they didn't care if we killed each other rioting
Old 11 July 2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begather View Post
Are you really from late 70's?
I went after 1979, not during the late 70's. The post said that after 1975, which I assumed meant 1979-present. No buildings that looked brutalist. But again, maybe the just didn't like us very much. Where they supposed to be temporary structures that were removed at the end of the 70's?