snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > College

Old 20 April 2007, 02:21 AM

Chow 1 (well, it relates):
http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/u...13.html#000000

Morrigan
Old 26 April 2007, 04:13 AM

Witch

I didn't really gain or lose a significant amount of weight during my freshman year (06-07, this year). At least, not to my knowledge. I do a significant amount of walking, not to classes, but I just put on an MP3 player and just go out naturewalking for hours on end, just getting lost in the music.

As a stage manager I also have a bit of a high-stress schedule, considering I did my first musical and my first professional-level show this year too.

As for eating habits, I eat roughly the same amount as I always have. I make slightly healthier choices, but I could go up a few steps on the health scale as well.

I've only had a tiny, tiny amount of alcohol this year, so that certainly didn't contribute to it.

I think I'll weigh myself sometime soon and repost with a more exact reply. I know I started the academic year at around 220 pounds, and I'm fairly sure I'm at around 215 now.
Old 04 May 2007, 04:13 PM

I gained weight my freshman and sophomore years when I lived in a dorm. That fattening all-you-can-eat dorm food. I'd lose it all during the summer.
Old 09 May 2007, 03:24 AM
openandshutcase

i gained a lot of weight my freshman year because i was broke all the time so i could only afford to eat once a day. id go to the dinning hall and eat an ungodly amount of food and thats all id have for that day. so in addition to eating thousands of calories, i was slowing down my metabolism by eating so infrequently. but as soon as i changed my eating habits i lost all the weight again.
Old 19 October 2007, 06:14 AM
zephyra

I had no weight change my first year of college. I had an apartment and we always cooked healthy food. My second year, however, I lost a ton of weight because I moved into a dorm and I hated the cafeteria food*. I would pick at it and try to get the prepackaged stuff.

*The reason I wouldn't eat anything from the cafeteria was because I saw a worker wipe up salad dressing with a wet cloth and sling it back into the dressing bucket
Who knows what else they did?
Old 20 October 2007, 03:01 AM

Wasn't a myth for me in 1966-67.

I lived in the dorm and ate in the dining hall. The only decent food they had was the bread and the pies. Dining halls didn't offer a wide selection in those days, pretty much just the meal of the day and sandwiches. We rewarded ourselves for eating another lousy meal by eating the great pie.
Old 20 October 2007, 11:29 PM
finkles2000

Icon23

I lost weight here too. Just a little. The only decent thing to eat in the cafeteria was cereal and salad, so that's pretty much all I ate. Well, that and dessert. The desserts weren't too bad. And they had fried rice at every. Single. Meal.

This thread reminds me of the hilarious Undeclared episode where Rachel gains the "freshman 15." I found this funny excerpt from the show. It's too bad they didn't have the montage of Rachel eating anything and everything in her dorm room, because that was hilarious. I really wish that show had been on for more than one season...
Old 22 October 2007, 11:19 PM

I didn't gain any weight until this summer. That was because I went home instead of doing a summer semester, and the junk food was too tempting. (but exercise wasn't!)

I only gained about 10 lbs, not 15.
Old 23 October 2007, 10:28 PM
Neffti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny T View Post
if anything I've come across the opposite - people not eating enough and losing weight dangerously - more than the weight gain, tho both do seem to happen.
This was the case for me. I remember coming home for Christmas after my first term at university and seeing myself in my parents' hall mirror. I looked like a rake.

In my case, though, it wasn't due to dangerously poor student nutrition. It was due to the fact that my parents ate mostly lard, and moving 300 miles from home had cured me of the problem.

ETA - I never stayed in halls and went straight into private rented accommodation, so I had to feed myself. Come to think of it, my friend who came from a rich family stayed in halls and I probably ate her leftovers for most of that first term.
Old 24 October 2007, 12:22 AM

I lost weight my freshman year of college...but trying to major in dance was a given. I ate very infrequently and was either in technique classes, rehersals or running. Turned into an eating disorder and i had to drop out. My sister went to college and did gain some weight but it certainly wasnt anywhere near the so-called "freshman 15". I think she tacked on about 5 pounds and then instantly lost it when summer rolled around.
Oh and BTW, I've sinced quit dancing and returned to a very healthy weight.
Old 25 October 2007, 12:00 AM

I put on 25 pounds my freshman year, but that's because I was playing football and had to put on a lot of muscle to compete.

I put on 10 more pounds my junior year after I stopped playing though...dining hall food probably is to blame for that.

I went off the meal plan my senior year, made my own food, and lost weight.
Old 25 October 2007, 12:45 AM

I gained 20 pounds during my first 4 months, another 10 in the 4-month work term after. I stopped eating breakfast, made up for it with a big lunch (especially at the fantastic cafeteria during that first job), and drank a beer before eating lots of dinner in the residence cafeteria. Back then, the meal plans were all-you-can-eat, as long as you didn't take it away from the dining hall.

I started university at 185, peaked at 250, and weighed 220 as a grad student, having learned how to cook and going to the gym 5 days a week. Ironically, I left residence because of the meal plan. The food got bad and became unpredictable - imagine having lamb three times one week, then spaghetti three times the next. It used to be a fixed schedule and similar meals didn't repeat for long periods of time. After I left the meal plan went to a "points system" with debit cards, and food quality improved, but the cost just about doubled, even if it was no longer "all you can eat". Some of my acquaintances returned to residence in 4th year and were constantly coming over to bum a free meal from me or my two roommates, because it was now so expensive to eat.
Old 25 October 2007, 10:20 PM

Chef

I noticeably gained weight (never really weighed myself though) my freshman year. Damn their delicious fresh-made pasta bar! There was nothing much to do in the town despite having 5 undergrad and 2 grad schools. So besides class and the dining hall across the street I never went anywhere. :o

My husband, different college, ate out once a day and lost weight. He even had a car to drive around with.
Old 08 April 2008, 11:29 PM

Ponder Fabled 'Freshman 15' Pound Gain More Often Only 5, Report Researchers

The "freshman 15" - the rapid weight gain believed to afflict many new college students when they begin school - appears to be a bit of an urban legend: a cautionary tale often told but not well substantiated.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0406153357.htm
Old 30 October 2008, 01:19 AM

Icon24 Beer, bad habits fuel college weight gain

Many college students don't gain the dreaded freshman 15 their first year away from home, but they do pack on 6 to 9 pounds, two studies show.

Why? Key reasons include dramatic increases in beer drinking and significant decreases in physical activity.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/watercool...storyid=100748
Old 30 October 2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Many college students don't gain the dreaded freshman 15 their first year away from home, but they do pack on 6 to 9 pounds, two studies show.

Why? Key reasons include dramatic increases in beer drinking and significant decreases in physical activity.

That would explain why I never gained anything: I still excersize, and I only drink fruit juice.
Old 30 October 2008, 02:52 AM

Whereas there's me, who added beer and took away physical activity and...

Lost 35 pounds.

I'm still pissed about it.
Old 30 October 2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post

Well, in my case it was:
1. Change in eating habits - from small meals at breakfast and lunch and healthy dinners to all-you-can-eat 3 times a day in the dorm cafeteria.
2. Eating things I hardly ever ate at home - especially desserts.
3. I played tennis daily in high school, I did little exercising in college.

This happened my freshman and sophomore years. I would gain the weight, then lose it over the summer. In my junior and senior years I lived in an apartment and ate healthier. Although alcohol consumption increased a bit...
Old 30 October 2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post

My problem was the post-graduation 15.
Yea!! Kids nowdays! Although I was always chunky, I didn't start gaining weight until I started working when I could buy my own damn beer.

Actually, I think I lost a few in college because I had access to Mommy's food only on the weekends.
Old 30 October 2008, 08:35 PM

I lost about 10 pounds last year (my freshman) year. It certainly wasn't on purpose, I was just walking more and I guess maybe eating a bit less. It may partly have been because my general fall-back if nothing else looks good is either a salad or veggies and hummus. Alcohol isn't a factor for me, either.

A lot of the people here say that they're gaining weight, but some (many?) of them may be exaggerating. Generally it's not a heavy drinking school, so I don't think that's a huge impact on a lot of people. We don't hear much from the school about managing weight/eating, probably because it seems like more people are likely to move towards eating too little rather than too much.