snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 27 September 2016, 03:19 AM

TV

MacGyver! No not the old 80's/90's series, the brand new series:

It's not so great. There's nothing terribly wrong with it but it just felt a bit bland, I think maybe it tried to be a little too faithful to the original series and that restriction weighed them down, especially since the new cast doesn't have the chemistry that the original cast enjoyed.
They went to great pains to make a bunch of subtle nods to the original series, including having the new guy carry around a missile for almost an entire scene to recreate this well known photo:
Old 27 September 2016, 03:26 AM

I was at my parents earlier so got to watch "Kevin Can Wait" as my Dad loves Kevin James. If you like family sitcoms with a smart wife and a doofus husband you'll probably like this show. I can see it filling a niche, it's a "gentle" comedy, not raunchy and my octogenarian parents enjoyed it. I doubt I'll watch again though.
Old 27 September 2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
MacGyver! No not the old 80's/90's series, the brand new series:

Snip!
I agree. I think it is watchable if there is nothing else to watch, but of course, it has to measure up to a cult-tv show and that there is a big shoe to fill.
While the characters are bland, I am fine with that. In fact I prefer those to all those dark and gritty characters that now seem to fill all Shows. (In the BSG remake my favourite was Helo, simply because he had the least amount of baggage to lug around).
What I found eye rolling were the use of TV Tropes. Those two boats colliding and exploding? And all those bad CGI explosions.
Old 27 September 2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
What I found eye rolling were the use of TV Tropes. Those two boats colliding and exploding?
Yeah that was terrible.
Old 27 September 2016, 01:26 PM

Icon05

Son of Zorn, anyone?

*crickets... but not just any crickets, the giant man-eating fire crickets of the Valley of Kosh!*

Yeahhhhh, I've seen the two episodes and it doesn't surprise me that it's on the Fox Network, and it will not surprise me when it doesn't even get a full first season.

The concept is bizarre even for a weird concept Fox Network (semi-) animated show: What if a He-Man type animated barbarian hero came to the suburbs to reconnect with his live-action ex-wife and son? It sounds for all the world like a Saturday Night Live sketch that someone pitched into a series.

Two episodes in, and it's even got me scratching my head as to how it ever came to be made.

If you haven't heard of it (not surprising) and are curious (really?), here ya go...

Old 27 September 2016, 01:42 PM

Not big on sitcoms, but gave "The Good Place" a chance because, Kristen Bell is funny as hell. And she is. Ted Danson is a little annoying, but the rest of the cast is perfect. Ms. Bell plays an extremely self-centered woman, Elanor, who was a complete ass to everyone. She dies and ends up in the Good Place by accident. Each neighborhood in the Good Place is specifically designed to meet the desires/interests of the residents. Mr. Danson's character designed this neighborhood as his first solo project and made a little error and let Elanor in.

So she has to try to figure out with the man who was supposed to be her soul mate, how to be good and deserve a place.
Old 27 September 2016, 03:15 PM

I caught the last 15 minutes or so of that show and I liked what I saw and the premise is certainly interesting but I wonder if it can sustain itself beyond a few episodes. It makes more sense to me as a limited run type show. Maybe I'm wrong and the writers have lots of ideas percolating because it was very well done.
Old 01 October 2016, 10:19 PM

I'm really loving The Good Place. I was expecting more of a "funny afterlife situation of the week", and instead there's a story arc. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if the season ends with Eleanor getting revealed. I also at this rate wouldn't be terribly shocked if it turns out that everyone but Chidi is in The Good Place by mistake, or even that Janet has masterminded everything for...reasons. Congrats, Chidi and Eleanor, you now must deal with Florida Man. The visuals remind me of Bryan Fuller shows. I'd love some kind of crossover with Wonderfalls where slacker Jaye and her talking animals make a cameo.

A show that's new to me but not new-new is Mike Schur's other series Brooklyn Nine-Nine. It's pretty good. I like all the characters, although Andy Samberg's character goes into annoying mode too frequently. I hope this trait gets toned down later because it's coming across as passive-aggressive, especially when he does it to Holt. I'm also way more interested in the secondary relationship between Rosa and Charles. The Jake/Amy storyline is bouncing off me a bit. At least some of this is due to my aforementioned annoyance at Jake. Charles' music and film tastes are...questionable (Turner and Hooch, really??), but he honestly likes them, he tries hard at his job and at least he's not deliberately irritating his co-workers.

I'm also late to the party on Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany totally deserved that Emmy. It's fascinating to watch Maslany play the main character pretending to be her clone who's pretending to be a third clone. And she does an amazing job at differentiating all of these clones, which is not easy when you consider how very many times these scenes have to be reshot.
Old 02 October 2016, 11:05 AM

Haven't had the time to watch more than the first two episodes, but so far Luke Cage seems to be keeping pace, quality-wise, with the other Netflix-Marvel offerings.

And I just got an e-mail from Netflix that The Detectorists has series 2 up! That will be a real treat to watch.
Old 03 October 2016, 01:09 AM

I just finished all 13 episodes of Luke Cage last night and it pretty much suffered from the same issues as Jessica Jones and Daredevil 2 where it felt like they were really stretching the story to fill all 13 episodes and it would have been a much meatier meal if they'd trimmed the fat. Similar to DD2 the first half was the strongest and the second half wasn't quite as good.
Old 03 October 2016, 03:18 PM

I liked some of the easter eggs that were thrown out in Luke Cage.

"I'm not for hire!"

"I look ridiculous." "yellow how? Like canary Yellow?"

are amongst the ones I liked a lot.
Old 03 October 2016, 06:46 PM

Or the headband he had around his head in the flashback to the experiment.
Old 03 October 2016, 06:52 PM

I know he said it a few times in Jessica Jones, but... does he say "Sweet Christmas!" at least a few times in his own show?
Old 03 October 2016, 07:32 PM

Yes, most prominently in the flashback to when he gets his powers and discovers he's capable of punching a hole in a brick wall.
Old 04 October 2016, 06:46 AM

Anyone else catch Westworld? I thought it was interesting, but really dark. Not too surprising considering how many of the guests are eager to use the androids to live out their sick fantasies.

Nonspoilery observations: I loved the credits sequence. It's not quite Game of Thrones-level, but it's stark, appropriately creepy, and goes well with Ramin Djawadi's theme. The player piano and orchestra arrangements (Paint It Black) are also well-done. The landscape is gorgeous. Apparently most (all?) of it was shot in Utah's Castle Valley where John Ford filmed his last 4 movies.

Spoiler whiteout:
That was a well-executed bait and switch during the intro. Like a lot of viewers, I made the mistake of thinking Teddy was one of the guests. The lobotomizing of Peter Abernathy was extremely hard to watch. It's hard to tell precisely how much the androids know, but I think Dolores is far more self-aware than is immediately obvious. I suspect she may have noticed that her "father" was switched, or at least that something is wrong, and is maintaining a facade out of self-preservation. They mentioned that she's the oldest host in the park, so she may have played other roles besides her current one. And they're probably not roles her creators would like her to remember. Ford may be the exception. He seems like he knows more than he's letting on, and it's not as if he was terribly concerned when Abernathy went off script and began quoting from his previous role as a cannibal cultist. The preview for next week looked promising. I'm looking forward to Thandie Newton's character getting a bit more screen time.
Old 04 October 2016, 03:27 PM

I really enjoyed Westworld. Not quite as much as I like GoT, but enough for me to keep HBO around. I agree with you on the music - really well done. I loved the player piano version of Black Hole Sun.
Old 05 October 2016, 02:20 AM

Mouse

Saw the first episode of Timeless. It's promising enough that I'll give it a second episode, even if they are so obviously setting up future "Will they or won't they" between Female Lead and Male Lead. Oh and Male Lead is obviously a Stoic Snarker Who Masks a Deep Pain. But again, the concept is promising enough I'll give it a second chance. Maybe now that introductions are out of the way, we can get to the awesome action.
Old 05 October 2016, 06:00 AM

Apparently HBO's feeling bullish on Westworld. They're streaming the pilot for free (region locked; I think it might be US only). They definitely need some new shows to fill the gaps since Veep and Leftovers only have a season left and GoT two abbreviated ones. Wouldn't be surprised if they were kicking themselves for letting American Gods slip through their fingers. I'm really looking forward to that show and will likely pick up a Starz subscription once the series drops. Bryan Fuller + stellar cast is pretty much catnip for me.
Old 05 October 2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Saw the first episode of Timeless. It's promising enough that I'll give it a second episode, even if they are so obviously setting up future "Will they or won't they" between Female Lead and Male Lead. Oh and Male Lead is obviously a Stoic Snarker Who Masks a Deep Pain. But again, the concept is promising enough I'll give it a second chance. Maybe now that introductions are out of the way, we can get to the awesome action.
After watching the pilot, I agree with the review in The Hollywood Reporter that " It's goofy, it makes no sense and I was often entertained. If Timeless is meant to be taken as grounded and complex, it doesn't work, but I really don't think that it is."

It's a goofy show. Now if it turns out that it's actually taking itself seriously, then it will fail. But if it sticks with letting itself be goofy and silly, then it might work.
Old 06 October 2016, 05:19 AM

Mouse

Well, I recorded and finally watched Conviction. I was willing to give it a shot because Hayley Atwell's in it and she's in my Same Sex Top Five. Hey, I'm secure enough in my sexuality to appreciate hot, regardless of gender.

But Conviction...it can be summed up with two words: thuddeningly obvious. It's like a Cuisinart of every gripping, crime/politics thriller all mushed together. Atwell does her best, but there's only so much that can be done with a show that's just a mess of clichés from beginning to end. You can say that Timeless was clichéd as heck, but at least it was fun and had a sense of energy, in addition to a sci-fi element and period costumes.

And yeah, I'm a proud feminist and I'm all about having more female protagonists headlining shows, all about having female characters be damaged yet kick ass, and doing something besides being a brooding love interest for the Male Lead, but I also like something called subtlety, where said female character isn't basically going, "I'm a rebellious ball-buster who rubs people the wrong way and has deep-rooted issues I'm struggling to deal with."

Poor Hayley Atwell...you try and try but there's only so much you can do with this mess. Guess I'll just go back to watching Agent Carter. It was so sad that it was cancelled, though it wasn't too surprising. Agent Carter was both a period piece and an action/adventure show, two very expensive genres. So it would have to have a helluva lot of numbers to justify keeping it around. Was so disappointed that Netflix didn't pick it up.