snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 15 November 2018, 06:41 PM

Cowboy Roy Clark, country guitar virtuoso, 'Hee Haw' star, dies at 85

According to his publicist, Country Music Hall of Fame member and versatile entertainer Roy Clark died Thursday at his Tulsa, Oklahoma home due to complications from pneumonia. He was 85 years old.

A fleet-fingered instrumentalist best known for his 24 years as a "Hee Haw" co-host, the affable Clark was one of country music's most beloved ambassadors.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...8HE8QssHsMcxP0
Old 15 November 2018, 06:45 PM

Bummer. Clark's somewhat goofy TV persona made it easy to overlook his virtuosity.

Old 15 November 2018, 07:22 PM

musicgeek:

Wow.
Old 15 November 2018, 07:28 PM

I have to admit, I was never a great CW fan, but Roy Clark--man, he was the whole show. R.I.P.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgeW...&feature=share
Old 15 November 2018, 07:43 PM

Glasses

I think of him more as playing the banjo on Hee-Haw. I also remember being floored by his skill even as a teenager. He was really something. RIP Mr. Clark.

Seaboe
Old 15 November 2018, 08:12 PM

A random memory of Roy Clark: He was a guest on Johnny Carson, sometime in the late seventies I would think. He had just had a hair transplant -- this was I believe when such operations were a fairly new thing. He was wearing a cap as it hadn't fully come in yet, but he let Johnny peek underneath. He then added, "I won't say where they took the hair from, but when I sit down, I get a headache."

Johnny replied, "Yeah, and when you read Playboy, your hat pops off!"

The audience, which had been tittering at Roy's remark, exploded over Johnny's, and Roy was pretty amused, too.

I'm not a huge country music fan, either, but who didn't wind up watching some episodes of Hee-Haw at some point? (Usually sort of by accident -- you looked away from the TV for a while, and suddenly it was on.) He always seemed to be having a good time; it's hard not to like a guy like that.

Since Buck Owens passed away in 2006, I guess they're pickin' and grinnin' for a new audience now...
Old 15 November 2018, 10:02 PM

I'd wondered if Mark Evanier would have anything to say. (He's putting off talking much about Stan Lee until he has more time.)

Quote:
I met Roy Clark exactly once. We spent about 45 minutes together when there was a possibility he would be starring in his own variety show pilot for NBC and I would be its Head Writer. He was, at least in those 45 minutes, the greatest guy on the planet. He was funny and he laughed at just about everything I (or anyone) said with one of those rollickin', genuine laughs that makes you feel so good when you induce it in another human being. It was altogether consistent with the jolly, jovial air he projected on TV.
https://www.newsfromme.com/2018/11/15/roy-clark-r-i-p/
Old 15 November 2018, 11:26 PM

If it had strings, he owned it!

I've always been a fan of his. Really saddened to hear of his passing.

RIP Roy.
Old 16 November 2018, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the "Rocky Top" clip, Brad! Had forgotten about that one; have to dig the full episode out on DVD and give it a rewatch.
Old 16 November 2018, 12:17 AM

Icon06

I, too, am not a big country fan, but always enjoyed Roy Clark's work. When I was a kid I thought his performance of "Thank God and Greyhound" was a work of musical genius.
Old 16 November 2018, 03:49 PM

I remember my older brothers explaining to me that there was much more to Clark (and Buck Owens) than I was seeing on Hee Haw.
Old 16 November 2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Thanks for the "Rocky Top" clip, Brad! Had forgotten about that one; have to dig the full episode out on DVD and give it a rewatch.
I enjoyed that too. When they show him picking up the trumpet, I just went, "Oh, come on...."
Old 17 November 2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
musicgeek:

Wow.
Well, quite. I think I might have seen that clip before but I'd forgotten it, and I didn't know who he was when I last saw it.

I guess I don't know as many classical / Spanish guitar virtuosos as good rock guitarists, because it's less the style that I listen to. But that was amazing - and the way he casually dropped in the little hard rock bit at the end as though it was trivially easy (and on an acoustic guitar) looked almost like an "up yours - I can do this too" to the rock guitarists!