snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 19 February 2007, 02:27 PM

Default Man's severance paid in small change

(Not sure if this is the right forum, but previous similar threads have appeared in Legal Affairs.)

Pennies drop in pay row

Quote:
Fred Raine was in for a shock when he received the balance of his severance pay.

Instead of a cheque for 1,300, an 11-stone crate containing thousands of coins from 1p to 20p coins was dumped in the hallway of his home.
I'd have been tempted to say no money had been received, and that I was still owed the 1300.
Old 19 February 2007, 02:33 PM

It does sound incrediably childish and small minded on the part of Mr. Lee. Of course we have his explanation.

Quote:
He said: "There are always two sides to a story and my side's going to be no comment."
Old 19 February 2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Coins can only be used to pay for goods up to a certain amount in the UK.

Any amount over 20p in 1p coins is not legal tender and does not have to be accepted by a business.
Couldn't he return the coins as there was no paperwork?
Old 19 February 2007, 03:36 PM
Deepfrydegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
Couldn't he return the coins as there was no paperwork?
Too bad he is not a business, then he could reject the coins (if he wished to).
I am tempted to go the other way. Claim you accepted the crate, but indicate there was only 300 inside (or whatever the minimal value is for 11 stone weight of coins). He is still owed some more money.
Old 19 February 2007, 04:22 PM
Doug4.7

Read This!

Quote:
The following amounts of coins are legal tender in Britain for any single transaction: 20p for any amount not exceeding 10; 10p for any amount not exceeding 5; 5p for any amount not exceeding 5; 2p for any amount not exceeding 20p; and 1p for any amount not exceeding 20p.
Wow, I wish we had this law back when I worked in a grocery store. Once a month or so, we would have some person pay a $100 bill in pennies. It would take a whole lot of someone's time to count the money (and make sure they didn't rip us off).
Old 21 February 2007, 05:07 AM
Class Bravo

Quote:
The following amounts of coins are legal tender in Britain for any single transaction: 20p for any amount not exceeding 10; 10p for any amount not exceeding 5; 5p for any amount not exceeding 5; 2p for any amount not exceeding 20p; and 1p for any amount not exceeding 20p.
A question for British snopesters--

Businesses aren't obligated to accept these large amounts of coins, but he wouldn't have any trouble depositing them all into a bank account and then withdrawing them in larger denominations of currency, right? Please tell me that the same restrictions don't apply to bank deposits.
Old 21 February 2007, 09:30 AM

He would have noproblem depositing them in his bank. I semi-regularly pay in 50-60 in small change. Though if I were him I would arrange in advance.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:25 PM

In the US the bank might make you roll it first.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:30 PM

Couldn't he go to a CoinStar - the machines the you dump in the change and get a receipt to get cash back? Granted, the first choice would be to make the employer take them back and get bills, but if he's stuck with the money, there are other options.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justusfour View Post
Couldn't he go to a CoinStar
He could but it's 1300 in loose change. That's going to take a whole lotta time to feed through, and those things charge about a 17% fee.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
He could but it's 1300 in loose change. That's going to take a whole lotta time to feed through, and those things charge about a 17% fee.
I see. Probably not a good choice then
Old 22 February 2007, 11:59 PM
The Nanny

This reminds me of the first christmas my brother was married. I asked him if he wanted something, or just the money (40 dollars, I think). He said he just wanted money. I hate giving money, as it seems sooo boring. So I found a John Deer Canister at Wal Mart (He LOVED John Deer stuff as a kid) and filled it with half dollars! Forty dollars worth. he LOVED it. Then went and bought himself a tattoo.