snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 29 December 2006, 08:08 AM

Icon84 Aspercreme slogan

Comment: I saw an ad for Aspercreme which states their slogan on screen as
"You bet if its Aspercreme".

I'm sure that in the past, the jingle said "You bet your sweet
ASS-percreme!".

I'm assuming they changed it due to negative response.

Can this be confirmed?
Old 29 December 2006, 09:33 AM

Let me preface this by saying I've been meaning to ask on snopes about this *forever*. I have not been influenced by reading the post then thinking "Yeah, I did hear that." I can "confirm" it in-so-much as that I did, indeed, hear several ads that were "You bet your sweet as-per-creme." Later on, I heard the ad as "You bet if it's as-per-creme." and thought, "that's not how it goes." Obviously, that's not factual evidence, but add me on as one who noticed the change, assuming it actually happened (which I'm almost 100% positive it did.)

Aha! And I have evidence:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQrv6-viEUk

Eye(Ear)-witness accounts:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...eet+aspercreme
Old 29 December 2006, 11:38 AM
Lady Neeva

You can count me as one who noticed the change... well, four technically as when I saw the original version I happened to be watching TV with my Mother and two younger sisters, and I can recall all of us disintegrating into a five minute laughing jag.

We have odd senses of humor lol.
Old 29 December 2006, 03:02 PM

Tack me on as another who heard the change. I hadn't mentioned it for fear of funny looks, but I was sure it happened.
Old 29 December 2006, 03:35 PM

I heard mention of the "bet your sweet" version on Cockeyed.com and I thought he was joking, because I had heard the commercial dozens of times and it was always "bet if it's".

Then I did hear the "bet your sweet" version once and only once. I think they must throw that version out there occasionally.
Old 29 December 2006, 11:47 PM

Oh boy did it irritate me when they switched from "You bet your sweet Aspercreme" to "You bet if it's Aspercreme"!

I LIKE the first one. It made me giggle every time I heard it. The second one just sounds like they're sucking up to people who whined, bitched, and complained about how the original was just disgusting and tacky, whine whine whine.

Now I'm going to have that stuck in my head all day long, though!
Old 30 December 2006, 06:24 PM

Glasses

Glad to see I'm not the only one who was disappointed when they took "You bet your sweet Aspercreme" off the air. I thought it was hilarious! I wish we knew the real reason it was removed, instead of just guessing. Was Pat or Jerry or Don at it again?
Old 31 December 2006, 07:24 PM
turtlechick

Hi! 1st post!

I really liked that You Bet Your Sweet Aspercreme version~~very cheeky (ha, get it?). I loved the look on the guy's face when he sang it.
Old 31 December 2006, 07:29 PM
Victoria J

Welcome Turtlechick.

Not being local I've never heard the ads but does "You bet if it's Aspercreme" make any sense at all ? I don't get it.

To me that is only a proper sentence if it means that should the creme be that particular make you will end up gambling. Does it mean something else in the USA ?

Victoria - what am I missing ? - J
Old 31 December 2006, 07:34 PM

Does the term "You bet" not mean something like "sure" in the UK? Because I read it as being equivelent to "It's Aspercreme? Sure."
Old 31 December 2006, 07:44 PM
Victoria J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbe View Post
Does the term "You bet" not mean something like "sure" in the UK? Because I read it as being equivelent to "It's Aspercreme? Sure."
I'd get that if it said "Is it Aspercreme - You bet !" or something similar. I just don't get it in that sentence.

Even if "you bet" is equivalent to sure (and I wouldn't have said it was except in that single usage - following a question) then it would read "sure if its aspercreme" which still doesn't make much sense.

Maybe "you bet" has much richer meaning in the USA and we only get a small part of it ?

It just doesn't seem like much of a slogan to me. I would have guessed that it is chosen because it sounds like the slightly ruder version, and no one cared that it doesn't really mean anything much. And the familiarity was more important than choosing a slogan which really said "our product is great".

ETA it probably sounds really great and emphatic as a voice over. Most of these ads do, and you are pursuaded by them before you have any chance to question what they are actually saying.

Victoria J

Last edited by Victoria J; 31 December 2006 at 07:49 PM. Reason: to ramble even more
Old 31 December 2006, 07:46 PM

Glasses

It's been so long since I've heard that commercial that I can't remember it exactly, but it was something like "Does this really help the pain? You bet - if it's Aspercreme!" What Elbe said about it's meaning "sure" is my take, too. "Sure does, if it's Aspercreme!" It has the same meaning as "You bet your sweet Aspercreme," but it's not funny. We use "you bet" or "you betcha' " to mean "that's right" or "it surely is" all the time.

You betchyer sweet bippie we do! Southern accent, and all, y'all!

ETA: Victoria J, I was typing this while you were posting, so I hope this helps explain it. You have to see the commercial and to hear the line in context for it to make any sense.
Old 31 December 2006, 07:47 PM

I would parse it as "You bet, if it's aspercreme" but I agree that it's clumsy and most likely chosen for recognition more than how much it makes sense.
Old 31 December 2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora Del Drago View Post
It has the same meaning as "You bet your sweet Aspercreme," but it's not funny.
Personally I think that "You bet your sweet aspercreme" makes less sense than "you bet if it's aspercreme", but puns aren't always meant to make sense.
Old 31 December 2006, 07:54 PM
Victoria J

Quote:
It's been so long since I've heard that commercial that I can't remember it exactly, but it was something like "Does this really help the pain? You bet - if it's Aspercreme!" What Elbe said about it's meaning "sure" is my take, too. "Sure does, if it's Aspercreme!" It has the same meaning as "You bet your sweet Aspercreme," but it's not funny. We use "you bet" or "you betcha' " to mean "that's right" or "it surely is" all the time.
Ah ! It makes sense now I know that it follows something else. I thought it was a slogan by itself, not a response.

Victoria -enlightened- J
Old 08 February 2007, 06:41 PM

They should have just changed the name of the product to Buttpercreme.
Old 09 February 2007, 02:21 PM
Valitudinarius Rex

Default Another typical non-sequitor...

Gracie Fields said that NBC wouldn't let her sing her signature tune "The Biggest Aspidestra In the World" on the radio because it contained the syllabic sequence "biggest ass". She was henceforth constrained to explain to the American audience WHAT was an aspidestra, even though it is obvious from the lyrics...

Of course, that's one of the jokes IN the song.

North Americans are extremely ass-o-phobic, despite the gluteus being our most plentiful natural resource.
Old 10 February 2007, 05:23 PM
Ezri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbe View Post
Personally I think that "You bet your sweet aspercreme" makes less sense than "you bet if it's aspercreme", but puns aren't always meant to make sense.
That's exactly what I was thinking!
Old 10 February 2007, 07:39 PM

Spit Take

I must be a dirty old woman because I still think "You bet your sweet Aspercreme" is funnier. Maybe it's because when I was a lot younger, one of our favorite sayings--out of earshot of parents, of course--was "You bet your sweet ass." Please remember that was fifty+ years ago, and that phrase was considered quite brave and rebellious.
Old 12 February 2007, 09:09 PM

Cheer

Quote:
I must be a dirty old woman because I still think "You bet your sweet Aspercreme" is funnier. Maybe it's because when I was a lot younger, one of our favorite sayings--out of earshot of parents, of course--was "You bet your sweet ass." Please remember that was fifty+ years ago, and that phrase was considered quite brave and rebellious.
I don't think it's a generational thing, maybe just southern. In the University of Maryland Marching Band, the only appropriate answer to "are you a turtle (the UMd mascot is the terrapin)?" is "You bet your sweet ass I am!" It must be said loudly and proudly. Newbies learn early not to say it timidly .