snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 24 January 2007, 03:47 AM

Icon24 Free drinks for AA chips

Comment: Is it true that if you bring a one year sober AA chip to a bar
and give it to them they will give you a free drink?

P.S. I'm not in AA I was just wondering as I've seen this happen in
movies.
Old 24 January 2007, 03:52 AM

Vanishing

The only thing I know for sure is that in the world of the Simpsons a five minute chip got Barney a PBR.

As to real life experience I have none. If I think of it I'll ask my brother next time I see him. He would know.
Old 24 January 2007, 04:10 AM

I asked two folks who would know if anyone would. They alternated laughter with some indignation. I am guessing that if someone really wanted to trade a chip for a drink, all they would need would be a bartender willing to make that trade, but the legend certainly seems to pay little respect to those folks who fight for their sobriety. I think that chip means much more to them than the price of one drink.
Old 24 January 2007, 03:22 PM

I've done it. Me, personally, not a friend. In a bar called The Point in Atlanta in Little Five Points in the late 90s. I happened to have a white chip a friend had given me that I was carrying as sort of a lucky charm. I was about out of money, but had been tipping well and the bartender was friendly. So I pulled out the chip and asked what I could get for it. He laughed and gave me a pabst tall boy.
Old 24 January 2007, 03:38 PM

This depends entirely on the bartender.

I love these legends that assume that there's some kind of secret code inherent to whatever type of business the legend applies to- like individual businesses and employees all go to Bartender Training Camp and learn how many beers the six month chip is worth, and all residents of the ghetto go to Ghetto Training Camp to learn what kind of bike pimps ride.
Old 24 January 2007, 04:40 PM

My uncle runs a resturant with a bar in it and he doesnt take it too kindly to bartenders passing out free beers.

It would depend entirely on the bartender and how much of sense of humor he/she had and their generosity.
Old 24 January 2007, 06:47 PM

I go out to a LOT of bars, and I've never met a bartender yet that didn't pass out a freebie now and again to a good customer. It keeps people coming back. It is usually draft, though.
Old 25 January 2007, 12:10 AM
terrillr

There is actually a bar in Denver called Killian's. Its off 15th & Glenarm. They actually have a wall behind the bar with years of chips hammered to the wall. Im not sure what you get for how much time, but when you bring them in the give you a round, clap and hammer the thing to the wall. Pretty funny actually.
Old 25 January 2007, 03:17 AM

Always looking for an angle, I did a search for AA chips on ebay. They're running around $12.50 plus shipping, so I guess it wouldn't be profitable to buy them and then trade them in for drinks.

There was a 20 year chip, though. I bet that would get the PBR upgraded to something more along the lines of a Sam Adams at least.
Old 25 January 2007, 04:53 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towknie View Post
Always looking for an angle, I did a search for AA chips on ebay. They're running around $12.50 plus shipping, so I guess it wouldn't be profitable to buy them and then trade them in for drinks.

There was a 20 year chip, though. I bet that would get the PBR upgraded to something more along the lines of a Sam Adams at least.
I think I'd need a bottle a little bit larger and a little bit stronger than lager for a 20 year chip. Maybe a 20 year old gallon jug of Johnny Walker would do the trick, but I doubt it.

Seriously, though, to the OP....this is going to depend on the bar. With as many bars as there are in my city, let alone the United States, it would surprise me if at least one bar somewhere didn't honor this.
Old 25 January 2007, 10:23 AM

I've heard the same legend but had always assumed that it was a non-alcoholic drink that was being referred to.
Old 25 January 2007, 02:56 PM
colowoman

Well, this is a pretty funny post actually!
If someone wants to return to misery and trade in their AA chip, for a drink, all I can say is I hope they make it back to sobriety before they die!
Old 04 February 2007, 05:49 PM
vison

Quote:
Originally Posted by colowoman View Post
Well, this is a pretty funny post actually!
If someone wants to return to misery and trade in their AA chip, for a drink, all I can say is I hope they make it back to sobriety before they die!
I agree about 1000%.

At least.