snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 31 May 2007, 07:59 PM

New Loch Ness Monster video

EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) -- Like tartan, bagpipes, and shortbread Scotland's Loch Ness Monster is as much an emblem as a tourist draw.

And now Nessie's back.
Old 31 May 2007, 08:09 PM

Video clip on youtube.
Old 31 May 2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
I love how the flip4mac logo is centered right over "Nessie" on the video.
Old 31 May 2007, 08:48 PM
Doug4.7

Icon202

That's it?!?! That's the new movie of Nessie? I soiled my armor I was so excited!
Old 31 May 2007, 08:56 PM

As with all Nessie 'evidence' I am - to say the least - sceptical. To me that 'shadow' does not look fifteen metres long and could be caused by any number of creatures (seals, otters or a large fish such as a sturgeon).

Oh, and it's good (not) to see the St. Columba sighting reaering its ugly head again!

Oh - and the holiday season is about to start. How convenient.
Old 31 May 2007, 11:12 PM

Alligator

I think that this video is much more compelling Loch Ness footage, personally. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97WDN...elated&search=
Old 01 June 2007, 01:51 AM

You cant see anything on the video Yahoo has.

I was going to post this but I was spanked, that is twice in one day.
Old 01 June 2007, 02:27 AM

So the guy was surveying the loch with hydrophones (are they expensive - I really don't know?) but filmed the event with a relatively cheap handheld video camera.

What did the hydrophones record - if anything?
Old 01 June 2007, 07:11 AM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
As with all Nessie 'evidence' I am - to say the least - sceptical. To me that 'shadow' does not look fifteen metres long and could be caused by any number of creatures (seals, otters or a large fish such as a sturgeon).
Or no animal at all - the video doesn't show the lake's shore, so it's hard to tell whether the object is moving. If it isn't, it could be just a near submerged tree trunk.

Don Enrico
Old 01 June 2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Or no animal at all - the video doesn't show the lake's shore, so it's hard to tell whether the object is moving. If it isn't, it could be just a near submerged tree trunk.

Don Enrico
I am more inclined to say that it was probably nothing. People have been using sonar on Loch Ness for a long time and they have never found anything that resembles Nessie.
Old 01 June 2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
I am more inclined to say that it was probably nothing. People have been using sonar on Loch Ness for a long time and they have never found anything that resembles Nessie.
Well, there is something in that video. I don't think it is Nessie, but I don't think it is nothing, either. I stand by my suggestion "submerged tree trunk".

On the sonar thing: The bottom of Loch Ness is notably rocky, with high peaks and deep canons. There could be something quite big hiding there without being detected by sonar.

There isn't, I'm sure, but there could.

Don Enrico
Old 01 June 2007, 04:06 PM

Goat

The latest giant wild hog shooting is considerably more credible, and snopesters are legitimately questioning that.
What this video shows is ... not much.

Sheesh, just build an animatronic one to troll the Loch and charge visitors for their Nessie Experience. It would make money and be less irritating.

Ali "I have the secret for an X-Files theme park" Infree
Old 01 June 2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Well, there is something in that video. I don't think it is Nessie, but I don't think it is nothing, either. I stand by my suggestion "submerged tree trunk".
When I said nothing, I was inferring to nothing unusual for a normal lake. It is something but its not a prehistoric creature.
Old 01 June 2007, 08:44 PM

I am sure that sonar would have picked up something long ago. A fleet of fishing boats goes on to the loch every day and each is equipped with sonar that can pick up 'images' of single fish. If 'Nessie' did exist it then it must emerge from wherever it lives to feed and thus be detected.
Old 02 June 2007, 03:46 PM

Are they showing all the footage? They keep repeating a clip that is only a few seconds long. I don't know about scientist, but I know that if I saw something unexplained in the water like that, I would keep filming as long as possible.
Old 02 June 2007, 04:24 PM

The best book about Nessie is The Loch Ness Mystery Solved, and the reason it's the best is that the writers once believed fervently and then became sceptical, but never once become cynical. It is quite touching for a no-nonsense unemotional book. Especially when they quote Borges: "It is, so to speak, a necessary monster."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
Oh, and it's good (not) to see the St. Columba sighting reaering its ugly head again!
And one of the things they skewer niftily is the Columba story. I don't know what your own objections to the story are, Andrew; but these boys point out that Columba (a) had a tendency in his life story to subdue very many wild animals and (b) was not on Loch Ness but the River Ness, which is shallow and quite separate from the loch.

The best thing,though, is that it might put you off looking for the beast, but encourage you to go spend some time there. It's still one of the most gorgeous places in Europe.
Old 02 June 2007, 04:52 PM

Indeed Billy, my objections to the Columba story are just that. A lot of the book is pure legend. If you believe it mentions a monster in the - as you say - River Ness, then you must believe in dragons (wasn't one killed over Durham or somewhere?) and other mythical beasts.

In addition there is no evidence that the River Ness is the one that flows into Loch Ness. 'Ness' is a very common British place element. It comes from the word for 'nose' ('nez') and means a piece of land jutting out.

ETA: Oh and I agree with you about the beauty of the area. When I was about eight we spent a fortnight's holiday in the Fort William area and we spent at least three days in the Loch Ness area. Beautiful is not a strong enough word for the scenery.
Old 05 June 2007, 07:45 AM

Icon605 Million pound reward in hunt for Loch Ness monster

A bookmaker has offered a one million pound reward to anyone who can prove that Scotland's legendary Loch Ness monster does actually exist.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyE...39480020070604
Old 05 June 2007, 07:54 AM
Delia Darrow

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
Ali "I have the secret for an X-Files theme park" Infree
Wo0t! How much for a ride on Mulder??

~Delia
Old 06 June 2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
Sheesh, just build an animatronic one to troll the Loch and charge visitors for their Nessie Experience. It would make money and be less irritating.
A TV company did that a few years ago. They built a Nessie model onto a submersible and used it to sneak up on tourist boats, with predictable consequences.