snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 17 May 2017, 03:32 AM

The Senate can't put Trump on trial for impeachment because he legally has the mind of a child. Checkmate, libs.
Old 17 May 2017, 04:24 AM

Things Trump is not allowed to have: top secret intelligence, scissors, things with small pieces that can be considered choking hazards like Legos...
Old 17 May 2017, 06:49 AM

I don't know that he is competent to stand trial or to be punished other than removal from office. Those around him have no such excuse.
Old 17 May 2017, 02:14 PM

Default Putin Offers Congress ĎRecordí of Trumpís Disclosures to Russian Envoys

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/w...ssia.html?_r=0

"...the Interfax news agency quoted a Kremlin aide, Yuri V. Ushakov, as telling reporters that Moscow had in its possession a written record of the conversation, not a recording"

Yup, I'd totally believe a written record from the Russians.
Old 17 May 2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Well, in this case he's right about it not being illegal.
I think the legality might be up in the air. The president can declassify US intel. I don't think the president can declassify foreign intel that is controlled by a treaty. The POTUS can't unilaterally invalidate a treaty. So, did he violate a treaty with the Israelis when he was talking to the Russians? Would that act be illegal?

Given that pretty much any action is potentially an "impeachable offense" then the actually legality of things is really not all that important. A stupid act is just as hazardous to the president's office as is an illegal act.
Old 17 May 2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Things Trump is not allowed to have: top secret intelligence, scissors, things with small pieces that can be considered choking hazards like Legos...
I think Trump is the reason the prizes in Cracker Jack suck these days.
Old 17 May 2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I think Trump is the reason the prizes in Cracker Jack suck these days.
Even when I was a kid they were too small for my hands.
Old 17 May 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
My God, Groo treats his minions better than Trump treats his, and Groo is, let's face it, despicable.
Hey! That's completely unfair. Groo generally means well. And I highly doubt you will ever hear Trump asking, "Did I err?"
Old 18 May 2017, 01:14 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
I honestly donít know if there is anything that the Democrats can do at this point seeing that they donít possess majorities in either the House or Senate. And even of they could, the Republicans are going to shoot it down.
Apologists for the Democratic Party are always attributing the party's failures to a lack of numbers. But even when they have the numbers, they still remain ineffectual. At the beginning of Obama's term, they had a supermajority and dominated the House and the Senate, yet they still couldn't stop the GOP from blocking them at every turn.

They keep moderating and reaching across the aisle to win the GOP over, no matter how many times it blows up in their faces, no matter how many times it makes the GOP double-down on their hatred. It makes me wonder if the Democratic Party is ridiculously naive and slow on the uptake, or if they're not serving the people they claim to represent.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:30 AM

Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
It makes me wonder if the Democratic Party is ridiculously naive and slow on the uptake
That's what my (more?) conservative friends think...
Old 18 May 2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
At the beginning of Obama's term, they had a supermajority and dominated the House and the Senate, yet they still couldn't stop the GOP from blocking them at every turn.
To be fair, the Democrats had 60 votes in the Senate for all of about a month and a half.

Al Franken wasn't seated until July 7, 2009. It was a very close race; and his opponent managed to keep it hung up in the courts until then.

Ted Kennedy died on August 25, 2009. And for at least some of that time he was too ill to do much; though IIRC he did manage to show up for an occasional vote.

The Democrats didn't expect to lose Kennedy's seat, so they didn't know how narrow that window was going to be.

And they did manage to get the ACA through, even without a sixtieth vote. It's far from perfect; but it's hardly nothing.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:42 AM

Mouse, read your post where you demand the Democrats try and run a one-party state and then come back and tell me why we have a highly polarized electorate that can't find any common ground.

I am so sick of the useless American left and it's mindless in fighting.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:52 AM

The thing that annoys me is the virtual tarring and feathering of politicians, as if just being a politician makes someone a bad person or incapable of anything but corruption. I've heard so many people [wiki complaint: "who?"] defend the election of people like Trump based on this idiotic fallacy.

I agree that the leaders of both parties have seemed out of touch and should get better in touch but many of them [wiki complaint: "how many?"] are way more in touch than even the random CEO of some company, much less a man who's led many companies into bankruptcy and has never shown the slightest ability to empathise with any human emotion or ethical principles. I also agree that there should be people who have a good understanding of things other than law in office but, surprise surprise, it's people who have actually studied law who are good at reading and writing laws. This is a reminder that there's no guarantee that some random combover from a midtown tower building will even read at all, much less bother to understand what's written.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL
Apologists for the Democratic Party are always attributing the party's failures to a lack of numbers. But even when they have the numbers, they still remain ineffectual. At the beginning of Obama's term, they had a supermajority and dominated the House and the Senate, yet they still couldn't stop the GOP from blocking them at every turn.
He only had a supermajority for 72 days in the Senate. That isnít a very long time to get legislation going - and that assumes that they are all aligned with each other. The biggest problem that democrats have is that they are not as unified as a party as republicans are. See Blue Dog Democrats.

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2012/09...cratic-senate/
Old 18 May 2017, 02:01 AM

Icon05

Funny, you seem to have me confused with another poster, diddy.
Old 18 May 2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Funny, you seem to have me confused with another poster, diddy.
Sorry. I tired to fix a boo boo - I meant to address Mouse, not you. it was the post above yours. My apologies.
Old 18 May 2017, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
...The biggest problem that democrats have is that they are not as unified as a party as republicans once were..
Fixed that for you.

It's true that at one time, the Republican party used to pride itself on unity and discipline. Until the Tea Party came along. The most recent votes on the health care bill, which passed by a mere 2 votes, shows that the Tea people are having none of this "unity and discipline" business.

The Democratic party on the other hand, has never been neat and tidy.
Old 18 May 2017, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post

The Democratic party on the other hand, has never been neat and tidy.
"I don't belong to any organized political party. I'm a Democrat."--Will Rogers, ca. 1928.
Old 18 May 2017, 03:15 AM

Australia

it's okay, I was informed by a patronizing Australian co-worker the other day that we're all being played because Hillary and Trump are secretly colluding and if I just read more I'd know that.

Bet you didn't you didn't know international mansplaining was a thing
Old 18 May 2017, 03:19 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Bet you didn't you didn't know international mansplaining was a thing
Actually...

Dropbear