snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 May 2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Tonight on FAUX Noise, Sean Hannity talked about Hillary Clinton's emails.
Do people still care about her emails? I'd like to think, but am probably wrong, sigh, that this particular distraction is wearing a bit thin.
Old 16 May 2017, 02:29 PM

Icon07

This is multiple times that he has gotten his crew to go out and say things to protect him and then boldly admitted the illegal and unconstitutional thing they were denying. We all know enough about human behaviour to know that people have a very powerful reality denial system but this is getting downright terrifying. And they are obviously terrified of doing the slightest thing against him. SMH.
Old 16 May 2017, 03:43 PM

Again, I see that key Republicans find these events "concerning", "troubling" and "worrying", just like several other times that Trump has done or said something stupid. When are they are going to do something about it?
Old 16 May 2017, 04:11 PM

A conservative radio host and blogger, Eric Erikson, has posted a story claiming that he knows one of the sources of the Washington Post story, that the source had been a strong Trump supporter, and that it's "worse than" what's being reported. https://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/con...ump-supporter/

(You can find the whole story on his site, but I don't really want to link there directly.)

Also, don't fall into the trap of arguing that what Trump did was illegal. It might not be, because he has the power to declassify things. The important thing is how reckless, imprudent, stupid, selfish, and impulsive it was. (Plus more, but you get the gist).

The intelligence came from a partner with whom we have an agreement the details of which are themselves tightly restricted information. We haven't shared the info even with our allies, and did not have permission to share it. Trump gave out the info while bragging about what great intel he gets. He gave it to the foreign minister and ambassador, *and their aides*!

White House officials scrambled to notify the CIA and NSA that the info was out, and they had to scramble to keep the info out of memos and transcripts that would circulate internally, to keep it from further spreading.

One of the things he revealed was the name of the city where the information came from. He clearly has put lives at risk, besides jeopardizing a continuing information stream. A stream which could have been providing info on Russia's activities in Syria as well.

The obtuseness level is truly unbelievable.
Old 16 May 2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
Again, I see that key Republicans find these events "concerning", "troubling" and "worrying", just like several other times that Trump has done or said something stupid. When are they are going to do something about it?
I'm pretty sure they're not going to: as long as he's around to serve as a distraction and not oppose legislation they want to pass, they've made it clear that they don't care if he gives Putin the nuclear codes while having sex with a goat in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue.
Old 16 May 2017, 04:25 PM

I think they will stop him when they see him as more of a liability than an asset. Right now, there are multiple agendas in play. Individual Republicans must still think they can distance themselves, and they are not yet grappling with what's going to happen to the party, or in 2020.
Old 16 May 2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
He has actually acknowledged he did it. But it's ok because he has an "absolute right" to do so. Why do I think the same folk who will scream loudest in support of this would have been the same ones baying "lock her up" had Clinton done the same thing?
I've seen his fans twisting that as, "He didn't say he did it, he just said he has the right to do it!"
Old 16 May 2017, 06:36 PM

France

As a great american president once said :

"When the president does it, it's not illegal."

Now, who was he ? Oh right.... Nixon.

Excuse me for a moment.

Old 16 May 2017, 07:32 PM

Well, in this case he's right about it not being illegal.

That doesn't mean it was ok. See erwins' post.
Old 16 May 2017, 09:26 PM

Having looked at the relevant law, what applies here in my view isn't so much that the president can declassify the information (which is what many sources are talking about, but would be problematic here, as they clearly want the information to remain protected), but that the president can determine who is authorized to receive it. Unless there is a separate law about that, and how the president makes such designations, I would think that is the part that most clearly protects him here. By disclosing the info to the people he did, he had effectively designated them as authorized to receive it.

The law in question is 18 USC section 798.
Old 16 May 2017, 09:45 PM

Baseball

Very interesting thing I just heard. Apparently, some GOP insiders are feeling out of sorts. They can't defend Trump because in defending him they would make him look bad.

What is being reported is that the President is so poor at reading printed intelligence material and has such a poor grasp of the intelligence that it is impossible for him to have released any information to the Russians that could compromise the US or its allies.

Whether it is true or not, in my opinion, is moot. He showed intent and actually went through with it. Even if he was spewing wrong stuff, he thought he was revealing the good stuff.
Old 16 May 2017, 09:54 PM

I think it's tough to take anything in his defense at face value right now.

I know he has supposedly required the multi-page briefings he gets to have a one-page bullet points only summary, but there's nothing that makes me think he didn't actually have the info. I mean, someone probably went over it with him in detail when talking about imposing the new electronic devices flight restrictions--and there has been recent talk of expanding those, so he probably had someone talk to him about it recently.

And, of course, there is nothing at all reassuring about that defense, even if it were true.
Old 16 May 2017, 09:54 PM

How can anyone stand to work for Trump? He sends out his surrogates to deny that any such thing ever happened, period!

Then he turns around and says Okay, he did share the classified info, but he can do it because he's the President. Thereby making all his surrogates look like idiots or hypocrites.

My God, Groo treats his minions better than Trump treats his, and Groo is, let's face it, despicable.
Old 16 May 2017, 10:24 PM

Well what do you expect from a mendicant?
Old 16 May 2017, 10:26 PM

Default Free Advice to Trump Aides: Quit While You Can

On Monday night, Lt. Gen. H. R. McMaster, President Trumpís widely admired national security adviser, held a hastily convened news conference to try to knock down reports that Mr. Trump had shared highly classified information with Russia ó only to have Mr. Trump appear to confirm the reports in two Tuesday morning tweets.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/o...-can.html?_r=0
Old 16 May 2017, 11:07 PM

Baseball

Quote:
In private, three administration officials conceded that they could not publicly articulate their most compelling ó and honest ó defense of the president: that Mr. Trump, a hasty and indifferent reader of printed briefing materials, simply did not possess the interest or knowledge of the granular details of intelligence gathering to leak specific sources and methods of intelligence gathering that would do harm to United States allies.
The New York Times had this paragraph in a larger story on the issue that speaks to what I heard on the radio and posted earlier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/u...T.nav=top-news

The US is getting more and more bizarre by the half day.
Old 17 May 2017, 12:25 AM

I think that is another (albeit unflattering) effort to deflect attention to whether he disclosed sources and methods. The Washington Post article doesn't say he did that. He disclosed the top secret information itself. It happens that some of the details of that information can lead to the sources and methods, or significantly narrow it down, which puts the information stream, and the people involved, in danger. There are good reasons not to share the information itself, even without specific sources and methods details, with Russia.

This sources and methods angle is what McMaster's defense initially focussed on as well. (Now he's on to, there was nothing inappropriate about what he disclosed.)

Last edited by erwins; 17 May 2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 17 May 2017, 12:28 AM

Read This! OOPS

This post belonged in a different thread.
Old 17 May 2017, 12:59 AM

Mouse

What do we have to do to get Donald Trump to accept that Putin will never ask him to the prom, no matter how much he kisses up to him? Because we sure as heck can't count on the GOP; they sold their souls for money and power and consequently, they do not care.

I'm also not sure to what extent we can count on the Democratic Party either. They've continued to try Bipartisanship, ever since the Clinton-era, even though it keeps blowing up in their faces. Compromise, Bipartisanship, and Reaching Across the Aisle, are fine ideals, but they only work when both sides are made up of adults who, despite differing views, genuinely want to get stuff done. It doesn't work when one side is made up of adults and the other side is made up of petulant brats who will burn everything down out of spite.

So I'm wondering if we should either hook up Trump and Putin, give Trump Russian citizenship and a position within Putin's government, or all of the above. It may be the only solution.
Old 17 May 2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'm also not sure to what extent we can count on the Democratic Party either.
I honestly donít know if there is anything that the Democrats can do at this point seeing that they donít possess majorities in either the House or Senate. And even of they could, the Republicans are going to shoot it down.

The only way the Republicans are going to stop Trump is for Trump to cause substantial harm to their re-election chances. Thats the only way they will act on anything Trump related. The Republicans are party first and that is the only thing that they will act on.