snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 May 2017, 09:52 PM

Blow Your Top Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and amb

From the Washington Post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Washington Post
President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said Trumpís disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.
It goes on to say that "Trump seemed to be boasting about his inside knowledge of the looming threat."

I just don't even know what to say any more. I know people that still support him, even with things like this. I'll ask them again tomorrow about this specifically, but they have held on to saying how great he is through everything else - as long as "libruls" hate it, they are happy.
Old 15 May 2017, 10:49 PM

Baseball

I am at a loss for words.

I see four things coming out of this:

- US intelligence agencies will dumb down or start sanitising their intelligence briefs to the President
- The US media will skewer him. They'd do it anyways, but this will be long time fodder for them
- All US allies will look to the US for confirmation that their intelligence will be properly handled
- Allies will hold the US Intelligence community's feet to the fire, just as the US held our feet to the flame over Delisle

And given the wording used, even in that WaPo article, it would not be too hard for anyone trained in intelligence assessment to determine who provided that intelligence to the US.

It is shameful, and Trump's playing President is now starting to seriously impact other nations.
Old 15 May 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
- The US media will skewer him. They'd do it anyways, but this will be long time fodder for them
And this will just reinforce the die hard Trump supporters idea that the "fake news media" is out to get him.
Old 15 May 2017, 10:58 PM

Yesterday my dad said he thinks Trump is "great" because he "gets the media all riled up." (The media, meaning, "the fake news liberal media" which to him is anything besides Fox News.)
Old 16 May 2017, 12:12 AM

So, how are his supporters justifying this? Can they do so without invoking Hillary or Obama?
Old 16 May 2017, 12:39 AM

They're saying the article is a lie, full stop.
Old 16 May 2017, 01:02 AM

It does seem rather implausible that he would say something extremely stupidly without thinking of the consequences. What?... He was awake? Oh, well, then, pretty sure he did.
Old 16 May 2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
So, how are his supporters justifying this? Can they do so without invoking Hillary or Obama?
The same way they explain away anything the media reports negatively against Trump - its fake news. Trump has blatantly lied already in office and his supporters believed him. One tweet from trump denying it is all he needs.
Old 16 May 2017, 01:12 AM

Ah, right. Why bother working on cognitive dissonance when you can simply refuse to believe in reality in the first place?
Old 16 May 2017, 01:14 AM

The intelligence agencies just may start withholding key information from him for the time being until someone can clue him in on just how much damage his "boasting" can cause.

It is not unprecedented. There were times during WW2 where Roosevelt was taken off of "need to know" lists because of poor security practices by his staff.
Old 16 May 2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
It is not unprecedented. There were times during WW2 where Roosevelt was taken off of "need to know" lists because of poor security practices by his staff.
I dunno, from what I heard, he was actually warned before hand about talking to the Russians. If he canít get that right, well that isnít good.

Can the president do his job without knowing classified info?
Old 16 May 2017, 01:49 AM

I don't see why not.

He hasn't shown evidence of knowing any other information so far.
Old 16 May 2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Can the president do his job without knowing classified info?
According to every conspiracy heavy the "aliens are already here", the "illuminati really control the world", "insert your own favourite conspiracy theory" here film I have ever seen. Yes, yes he can, it happens all the time. It has always happened.

Gee diddy haven't you been paying attention!!11!!!
Old 16 May 2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
I wonder specifically what are you talking about. Do you know any cites on that?

If the people around him really do care about the country and constitution they've promised to uphold, they will do their best to make sure a president who endangers those things does not do the job, whether that means convincing him he's doing a great job while doing it for him and finding things to keep him busy or something more drastic.
Old 16 May 2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I wonder specifically what are you talking about. Do you know any cites on that?
I remember reading in a couple of history magazines (Specifically "Wings" & "Airpower") that in the months leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor, when American intelligence organizations were struggling to make sense of the Japanese embassy and military messages their code breakers were intercepting, Bill Donovan was upset that classified documents related to these messages were found unsecured and intact in various white house offices, and that for a time, the White House was excluded from a list authorized to see these translations.

It's even noted in the film Tora Tora Tora. A film that, if not the most exciting war film ever made, is noted by various scholars and historians as being pretty accurate in its portrayal of events leading to Dec 7.

Said magazines are in storage for the moment, I'm afraid, but I'll try and find something more concrete.
Old 16 May 2017, 03:25 AM

Thank you.

The key point in this case is that it matters little what they tell Trump. The US can't tell its allies what they share and don't share with the president. Allies have to assume that the higher the priority, the more likely it will be given to the highest authorities. Otherwise, why share at all - a conclusion I'm afraid some will come to without wondering what the agencies share with the president. The damage is likely to be long term because, unlike the agencies themselves, things aren't just going to go back to the way they were when the administration changes. Trust takes time and effort, lost trust doubly so.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 16 May 2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 16 May 2017, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Tonight on FAUX Noise, Sean Hannity talked about Hillary Clinton's emails.
Old 16 May 2017, 10:15 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
The US can't tell its allies what they share and don't share with the president.
Good point, ganz.

The counter to that is those same allies can start limiting the information they share with the US. It was an allied source that provided the information, and allied analyst that provided the intelligence, that ally may decide that the US is too loose with their intelligence to share with them unless certain guarantees are in place.

We had the US look pointedly at us when Delisle was arrested. The same will happen for the US and President Trump.
Old 16 May 2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I think I've got the angle. I just thought it up myself, I'm pleased to say:

"If Snowden or Manning do it they're heroes. If the President does what we elected him to, he's a traitor. #libsuck"
Old 16 May 2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
The same way they explain away anything the media reports negatively against Trump - its fake news. Trump has blatantly lied already in office and his supporters believed him. One tweet from trump denying it is all he needs.
He has actually acknowledged he did it. But it's ok because he has an "absolute right" to do so. Why do I think the same folk who will scream loudest in support of this would have been the same ones baying "lock her up" had Clinton done the same thing?