snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 12 May 2017, 02:33 PM

Read This! Trump says James Comey "better hope that there are no 'tapes'" of conversations

President Trump on Friday warned former FBI Director James Comey that he should hope there are no tapes of their conversations, with the president suggesting he could be leaking information to the media.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-sa...conversations/
Old 12 May 2017, 02:56 PM

You're trying to get rid of comparisons to Nixon, so you start talking about taped conversations?
Old 12 May 2017, 03:27 PM

And if there are tapes, what's Trump going to do? Fire Comey?
Old 12 May 2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Trump gets two balls and everyone else only gets one?
Sorry, but Trump doesn't have any.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
In Trump's entertainment-oriented mind, it's May Sweeps and he's doing it for the ratings.
I saw a meme this morning of Trump boasting that his impeachment hearings will get the highest TV ratings of any impeachment hearings ever.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Trump gets two balls and everyone else only gets one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Sorry, but Trump doesn't have any.
Well then - everybody sing!

Spicer, has only got one ball
Bannon's, are so very small,
Mnuchin's look like Capuchins,
And Donnie's, got no balls, at all.
Old 13 May 2017, 01:05 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
You're trying to get rid of comparisons to Nixon, so you start talking about taped conversations?
As said earlier in this thread, I object to Nixon comparisons. Say what you will about Nixon, but he put forth actual effort when it came to villainy. He had to be stopped and you're glad he was, but again, given the amount of effort and planning he put into his schemes, it forces you to have some grudging respect for him. He wasn't like the modern GOP where they believe merely saying something makes it true. And hey we did get the EPA out of his presidency.

I'm still trying to come up with an adequate pop culture metaphor for Nixon vs. the modern GOP, because that's how I roll. I keep using the one where Nixon was Tywin Lannister, whereas the modern GOP is Joffrey Baratheon.

Both characters, for those unfamiliar with Game of Thrones, are evil and it would suck to be ruled by either of them, but if given the choice, go with Tywin Lannister. He's ruthless, cold, and cruel, but there is careful planning to it. He's not just cruel for the sake of it; he's not a sadist. If there are ways of resolving a problem without resorting to dirty tricks or violence, he'll be willing to utilize said tactics.

Joffrey Baratheon, on the other hand, is a sadist prone to elaborate hissy fits every time he doesn't get his way. Unlike Tywin, Joffrey is cruel for the sake of being cruel and probably would have been overthrown pretty quick, were it not for the fact he has some decent advisors surrounding him.

I dunno if that comparison works; I'm not quite sure if the Tywin Lannister-Richard Nixon comparison is apt. I stand by the Joffrey-Modern GOP comparison and my assertion that the Modern GOP has all the prejudices of their predecessors, but none of the work ethic.

If anyone has a decent pop culture metaphor, I'm open to it. I know, I should probably stop relating to everything via fiction, but dammit! Fiction has this thing called internal consistency and makes some nfbsking sense!
Old 13 May 2017, 02:08 AM

Nixon= Megatron, Trump/modern GOP= Starscream?
Old 14 May 2017, 01:49 AM

Mouse

I don't know enough about the Transformers franchise to make that judgement. I think all I've seen are maybe a couple episodes of the 80s version and maybe some of Beast Wars. About all I know is that Megatron and Starscream's relationship was probably all about hate-nfbsking. Given how many times Starscream betrays Megatron in the first episode alone, it has to be hate-nfbsking.
Old 14 May 2017, 05:28 AM

Megatron is usually portrayed as competently evil, while Starscream is stupid to the point of being prone to self-sabotage: the number one thing stopping Megatron from conquering Earth is the Autobots, while the number one thing stopping Starscream from conquering Earth is Starscream.
Old 15 May 2017, 01:44 AM

Mouse

Okay I'm totally willing to accept the transformers-GOP comparison. Comparing Nixon to Megatron makes more sense than comparing him to Tywin Lannister. Tywin Lannister wouldn't have plotted to kill a critic by coating his steering wheel with LSD. Before anyone says anything, I'm well aware that LSD and cars don't exist in the world of Game of Thrones. I still stand by my assertions.

Though the trouble with any of these fictional villain comparisons, is that even the laziest, lamest fictional villain still has better work ethic than the current GOP.
Old 15 May 2017, 02:01 AM

The appropriate trope
Old 15 May 2017, 04:19 AM

I don't know from fictional villains but the situation itself reminds of the end of A Few Good Men where the colonel shouts "You're damn right I did!" Except in this version the judge (who, in this version, resembles a droopy turtle) just yawns and says "Well, he can't really mean that. He's contradicted himself so, uh, there's no evidence he gave the order. You didn't mean that did you. Nope. No further questions are necessary..."
Old 17 May 2017, 12:32 AM

Read This! Comey memo said Trump asked him to drop Michael Flynn investigation in February

President Trump asked FBI Director James Comey to shut down the federal investigation into Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Comey, according to the memo.

The existence of Trump’s request is the clearest evidence that the president has tried to directly influence the Justice Department and FBI investigation into links between Trump’s associates and Russia.

http://www.startribune.com/comey-mem...ary/422624974/
Old 17 May 2017, 03:17 PM

Interfering with an ongoing investigation is . . . well, it's illegal, even for a president.
Old 18 May 2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Well then - everybody sing!

Spicer, has only got one ball
Bannon's, are so very small,
Mnuchin's look like Capuchins,
And Donnie's, got no balls, at all.

AC DC makes everything better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Interfering with an ongoing investigation is . . . well, it's illegal, even for a president.
I'm picturing you as Denarian Rhomann Dey trying to explain the laws to the Guardians...
Old 18 May 2017, 03:56 PM

Stop attacking the poor man! “No politician in history...has been treated worse or more unfairly” than President Trump.

Or, as they say: "Sticks and stones may brake your bones, but words do really hurt ME!"

Can you believe this man?
Old 18 May 2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:

AC DC makes everything better
Hmm I was reading it to the tune of the Colonel Bogey March.
Old 18 May 2017, 05:06 PM

I took it for a reference to this; which 1958Fury probably did also, but the March itself is older and has had, apparently, a whole lot of words.

Last edited by thorny locust; 18 May 2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: a whole is not a while. well, not always.
Old 18 May 2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
Hmm I was reading it to the tune of the Colonel Bogey March.
That's the Comet song.