snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 10 May 2017, 05:31 PM

Well, my favorite report on this is probably this one from the NY Times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
WASHINGTON — Days before he was fired, James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, asked the Justice Department for a significant increase in resources for the bureau’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the presidential election, according to three congressional officials who were briefed on his request.
The administration denies this, of course.
Old 10 May 2017, 05:45 PM

I was just coming here to post that, Darth.

So I'll post this instead: Senator Ron Wyden (who incidentally represents my district) has called (again) for Sessions to resign over his failure to properly recuse himself.
Old 10 May 2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
We need an independent investigator put in charge of the Russia investigation right now.
Been calling my reps about this (among other things) for weeks. Called them again today.

Of course, my two Senators are already on board, and my "Representative" is in Trump's pocket. Nevertheless, for what it's worth, I'll keep adding my voice to the pileon.
Old 10 May 2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Heck, the Nixon Presidential Library took a jab at Trump on Twitter over this.
From the article below:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-fbi-director

Quote:
Trump’s position is now so perilous that comparisons to Nixon are deemed insulting … to Nixon.
Old 10 May 2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Wait. Kellyanne Conway is still around?
She's been making the rounds this week, just to prove that she's still here, after articles pointing out that she hasn't been around much. Trump watches SNL too.
Old 10 May 2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I was just coming here to post that, Darth.

So I'll post this instead: Senator Ron Wyden (who incidentally represents my district) has called (again) for Sessions to resign over his failure to properly recuse himself.
Kind of a nitpick and a tangent, but I wanted to look up whose district you were in after reading this, so I'm passing it along. Wyden is a Senator, so he represents the whole state. Your representative is Peter DeFazio.

I checked because the only Republican representative from Oregon is Greg Walden, so I wanted to know if you were one of his constituents. No such luck. It's nice not to have to pressure our congressional delegation about their votes on these issues, but it also feels like we have little leverage or influence over the people who are actually making the decisions.
Old 10 May 2017, 09:39 PM

I get those confused all the time.

Anyway, the guy who's run against Defazio in the last three elections is an insane Tea Party wingnut named Art Robinson. This is what happened in 2010 when he first ran for office and voluntarily agreed to go on the Rachel Maddow show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2InHyQQvxGk

So yeah, wouldn't have too much leverage if he were in office.
Old 11 May 2017, 12:33 AM

Mouse

I object to Nixon comparisons. Nixon was a moral sewer of a human being, the closest thing we've ever had to having a Bond Villain as president, but goddangit! He had some actual work ethic. He had to be stopped and you're glad he was, but at the same time, the time and effort he expanded in his schemes, forces you to have some grudging admiration for him. He wasn't like the modern GOP where they believe merely saying something makes it true.

I don't know if or when I'll ever stop saying this, but the modern GOP has all the prejudices of their predecessors, but none of the work ethic. Because I'm that kind of person, I'm trying to find an appropriate pop culture metaphor to explain all this. I want to say Nixon was Tywin Lannister, whereas the modern GOP is Joffrey, but that doesn't feel too accurate. Tywin Lannister wouldn't have plotted to assassinate a critic by coating his steering wheel with LSD. Nixon just didn't understand the hippies at all.
Old 11 May 2017, 10:24 PM

23 Reasons Trump’s Firing of James Comey Is a World-Historic NFBSK Show

It's the complete ignorance and tone-deafness that gets me:

Quote:
White House officials believed it would be a “win-win” because Republicans and Democrats alike have problems with the FBI director, one person briefed on their deliberations said. Instead, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer told him he was making a big mistake — and Trump seemed “taken aback,” according to a person familiar with the call.
How could anyone capable of winning a presidential election make this kind of major miscalculation?

There's still a lot we don't know, or where we are relying on "sources" that are not being identified, but even if you stick to what's come out officially, it's pretty jaw-dropping. Trump has now admitted he was "going to fire him regardless of recommendation," so all he initial explanations of what happened have been contradicted. (Who in the hell would want to work for this guy? You go out and try to explain and defend him, and then he says something makes you look like an idiot, a liar, or both. I know people who have had bosses kind of like that, and they were not happy people...)

I'm starting to entertain the "deliberate trolling" theory again. How else can you explain trying to make an investigation go away by publicly firing the guy running it? Holy crap.
Old 11 May 2017, 10:45 PM

In Trump's entertainment-oriented mind, it's May Sweeps and he's doing it for the ratings.
Old 11 May 2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Trump has now admitted he was "going to fire him regardless of recommendation,"
This, plus the other people he's fired, is starting to make me think that The Apprentice is an accurate representation of how he actually runs his company... and the government, which is kind of a scary thought.
Old 12 May 2017, 12:06 AM

So, at what point will the conservatives in Congress actually get fed up with him and start opposing the things he's doing? Does he have to eat a baby on live TV or something?
Old 12 May 2017, 12:59 AM

Is the baby a Democrat or a Republican?
Old 12 May 2017, 01:15 AM

Mouse

That's an important point to consider, Erwins. Also have there been any photos taken of the baby making "gang" signs. That baby was no angel, I'm just sayin'.

In all seriousness, I don't know, Crocoduck. I tell people that there is no deeper zen to the GOP; they sold their souls for money and power decades ago and as such, to use the words of MST3K, They Do Not Care! Whatever concerns they may about Trump, they like power and the wealth it brings, so they're willing to stomach whatever qualms they may have, in order to get access to power and wealth. Deep down, they know that if things go south, money buys a lot of things, including escape hatches, so they likely won't suffer too much by way of consequences. They'll buy their way out and leave everyone else behind to clean up their mess.

Though in all honesty, I can't say I would complain too much if they finally went through with their threats to Go Galt. Maybe with all the selfish, narcissistic a-holes gone, we can actually get a government that does more than fellate the rich, screw over the poor, and kill brown people. Plus this is what would likely if they did Go Galt.

The only trouble is that they're not content to merely leave; what they want to do is ring every last drop of wealth they can, shit all over everything, then they'll leave. Because at some point, the GOP ceased to be a political party and just flat-out became a doomsday cult. Still not entirely sure when, but like I keep saying, Eisenhower was the last GOP president who didn't leave his country in worse shape than it was when he took office.

I keep hoping the tide will turn and they'll reach a point where they will have to admit that they lost. Hoping it will be akin to the Civil Rights Movement, where they spent years opposing it, but once it became apparent that the battle had been decided, they shifted their rhetoric and now pretend that they totally supported civil rights all along. They and MLK, Jr. were like peas in a pod and they didn't spend years accusing him of being a communist pervert. But it seems unlikely.

One last link for the road: Trump isn't playing eleventh-level chess; he's playing Hungry Hungry Hippos.
Old 12 May 2017, 01:47 AM

I'm pretty sure that the only game Trump knows how to play is Calvinball.
Old 12 May 2017, 03:56 AM

Mouse

I have to object to that comparison, Crocoduck. Though he may only be six years old, Calvin still displays more maturity, imagination, and intelligence than Trump ever will. To use the words of Stephen Colbert (in a clip I linked to): there's nothing deep about Trump. What it seems like he's doing, is exactly what he's doing. There is no hidden depths to him; there's nothing deep about him. He's a baby pool; you couldn't get your ankles wet in him.
Old 12 May 2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Is the baby a Democrat or a Republican?
More importantly, is it already born, or still a fetus? Because the Republican party will only care about the latter. If the baby's born, then it should have led a 'good life', and Trump wouldn't have had to eat it.
Old 12 May 2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I have to object to that comparison, Crocoduck. Though he may only be six years old, Calvin still displays more maturity, imagination, and intelligence than Trump ever will. To use the words of Stephen Colbert (in a clip I linked to): there's nothing deep about Trump. What it seems like he's doing, is exactly what he's doing. There is no hidden depths to him; there's nothing deep about him. He's a baby pool; you couldn't get your ankles wet in him.
But Calvinball is the only game Trump can remember the rules for.
Old 12 May 2017, 05:15 AM

The game is similar to Calvin ball in that rules are made up at any time but only one person in his game gets to make any rules. Probably Trump but we'll see if it's him if we ever get to the bottom of this quagmire.
Old 12 May 2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
The game is similar to Calvin ball in that rules are made up at any time but only one person in his game gets to make any rules. Probably Trump but we'll see if it's him if we ever get to the bottom of this quagmire.
Trump gets two balls and everyone else only gets one?