snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 07 May 2017, 09:05 PM

France Centrist Emmanuel Macron becomes France's youngest president

French voters elected centrist Emmanuel Macron as the country's youngest president ever on Sunday, delivering a resounding victory to the unabashedly pro-European former investment banker and strengthening France's place as a central pillar of the European Union. A crowd of Macron supporters roared with delight at the news, jubilantly waving red, white and blue tricolour flags at a victory party outside the Louvre Museum in Paris. Marine Le Pen, his far-right opponent in the presidential runoff, quickly called the 39-year-old Macron to concede defeat after voters rejected her "French-first" nationalism by a large margin.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/centrist...dent-1.3402018
Old 07 May 2017, 09:43 PM

After Brexit and the Hairy Cheeto, I was worried there'd be another insane election, but it seems the third time's the charm.
Old 07 May 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Tabby View Post
After Brexit and the Hairy Cheeto, I was worried there'd be another insane election, but it seems the third time's the charm.
Well, Holland also recently had a far right anti-immigrant candidate who was defeated, so really that was the third time.
Old 08 May 2017, 12:36 AM

No insult to Holland, but it gaining a far-right leader wouldn't really have the same international ramifications that France would.
Old 08 May 2017, 12:50 AM

I don't want to insult them either but they obviously aren't doing that well if people can't even remember the actual name of the country. (That is, not Holland!)
Old 08 May 2017, 02:52 AM

Mouse

As if France didn't have enough reasons to feel morally superior to America, now we've got this. They can be like "Not only do we have better cuisine and government-run healthcare, we had the sense not to enshrine a bloviating bigot in the highest office in the land." Next they'll be farting in our general direction and saying bad things about our parents, like they're hamsters or smell like elderberries.

Will say that looking at Marine Le Pen, it is nice to see that apparently there are bigoted politicians that don't look like Donald Trump with his hair rearranged. What I've seen of Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, and Geert Wilders, I'm not entirely convinced that they are indeed three separate individuals. They look too much alike and we all know Trump has a history of creating alternate personas. But at the same time, that would require more work ethic than Trump is capable of mustering.

Though seriously, is a good haircut an affront to the ideals of the White Race or something?! Like I've said before, when it comes to Trump's hair, I'm totally on Team Hideous Combover. No wig, no matter however cheap and obviously phony, can be that hideous. Even a godless universe has more rhyme and reason than that!
Old 08 May 2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't want to insult them either but they obviously aren't doing that well if people can't even remember the actual name of the country. (That is, not Holland!)
Honestly, I thought that WildaBeast meant Holland rather than the Netherlands.
Old 08 May 2017, 08:25 AM

OK. Seems that would be weird considering there ins't any such place but OK...
Old 08 May 2017, 08:29 AM

Holland= The two provinces of North and South Holland
The Netherlands = The whole country

And honestly, I did feel a bit insulted. We may not have as much power as France, but crocoduck_hunter's comment felt really dismissive there.

Moving on.

Last edited by Dutch Angua; 08 May 2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08 May 2017, 08:39 AM

In his defense, even though your home country has about the population of New York State, it does not have enough electoral votes to sway the US election.
Old 08 May 2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Angua View Post
Despite the close ties my country has always had with The Netherlands I honestly did not know this! I may have learned it in a geography class a long time ago but if I did I forgot it. To me the terms Holland and The Netherlands have always meant exactly the same thing. I definitely will remember this from here in in though .
Old 08 May 2017, 02:50 PM

Baseball

I was in the Netherlands in January, and the big feeling was that it the far right parties got hold there, it would be a toe in the door for other parties in other countries to use as a springboard for their supporters.

"Look at the Netherlands, good ole reliable Netherlands. They got it right."

If a very liberal democratic country could support hard right politics, then those countries with not as strong liberal democratic values (France being one) could be swayed.

Thankfully, calmer heads have prevailed.
Old 08 May 2017, 03:52 PM

We can breathe a little easier for the moment, but Le Pen did build a much stronger base for her movement by mixing horrific virulent racism with leftist economic appeals. And that worked with a lot of younger voters who are going to be older voters in future election.

I still see people who believe that Trump is capable of leftist economic reforms or socialized medicine, and if he did that, it would make all the terrible stuff he's doing to minorities acceptable. So it is no stretch to me to believe that Le Pen is capable of pushing that harder if the French economy still sucks. People will sell out their own family if they think they'll make more money.
Old 08 May 2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Angua View Post

And honestly, I did feel a bit insulted. We may not have as much power as France, but crocoduck_hunter's comment felt really dismissive there.

Moving on.
I'm sorry I insulted you. But I thought that the comment was about a local election in the Netherlands, not a national one, which has much different implications for the future of things like the EU and NATO.
Old 08 May 2017, 08:31 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
As if France didn't have enough reasons to feel morally superior to America, now we've got this. They can be like "Not only do we have better cuisine and government-run healthcare, we had the sense not to enshrine a bloviating bigot in the highest office in the land."
I think the French can also brag that their president has a better command of the English language than yours.
Old 08 May 2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
To me the terms Holland and The Netherlands have always meant exactly the same thing. I definitely will remember this from here in in though .
Me too -- I'd always thought the two were one in the same. And yes, I guess I actually meant The Netherlands before.
Old 08 May 2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I was in the Netherlands in January, and the big feeling was that it the far right parties got hold there, it would be a toe in the door for other parties in other countries to use as a springboard for their supporters.
Thanks for that post, UEL, that pretty much sums up my thoughts.

And thanks for clarifying, crocoduck_hunter.
Old 08 May 2017, 09:05 PM

United Kingdom

I just want to know why the English-language demonym is so confusing. Netherlands = Dutch!?
Old 09 May 2017, 03:35 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
We can breathe a little easier for the moment, but Le Pen did build a much stronger base for her movement by mixing horrific virulent racism with leftist economic appeals. And that worked with a lot of younger voters who are going to be older voters in future election.
You're right but as always, I'm a firm believer in celebrating your victories when they come. We all know the fight isn't over, but it's always good to celebrate just a little
Old 09 May 2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I just want to know why the English-language demonym is so confusing. Netherlands = Dutch!?
Dutch is related to the old english term for "People." Netherlands refers to the low lands where the "people" live.