snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 25 April 2017, 05:02 PM

No The saga of a YouTube family who pulled disturbing pranks on their own kids

Article here (in Washington Post)

I just heard about this a minute ago. Seriously. This is just messed up. Maybe I don't know the whole story, however, what I've read is pretty darn disturbing.

Here's another article from Daily Caller, and trust me, a simple search brought up other hits.

On what planet is this funny? My family certainly played some jokes on me (how can I forget the time my brother convinced me that our parents sent him to reform school?), but nothing that made me cry or upset me. My lands.
Old 25 April 2017, 06:11 PM

The parents have deleted all the videos on their channel except the not-so-convincing apology video but if people want to see what went on lots and lots of people have saved and uploaded examples of their abuse, if you go to youtube and do a search for 'daddyofive' there'll be many many hits.
Old 25 April 2017, 06:32 PM

Jesus. From the title I expected one thoughtless joke at their children's expense. Instead it looks like they were trying to make a whole career out of tormenting them. A lot of these "prank" channels are totally staged, but it's not entertaining when you can tell it's fake and something like this shouldn't be entertaining if you think it's real, so I'm not sure who is meant to enjoy this.
Old 25 April 2017, 06:35 PM

What bothers (but sadly does not surprise) me even more is that 750,000 people thought that such horrible "pranks" were sufficiently amusing that they'd subscribe to their channel.
Old 25 April 2017, 06:50 PM

I generally get less fussed at things I see on tube than the world in general, especially as it relates to how people treat each other within families. (In the context of a loving family, lots of things can happen that will be misinterpreted by those who don't have the internal context).

That being said, unless those kids are amazing actors, the lack of empathy by the parents for those kids make me sick, and that family needs serious help.
Old 25 April 2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherOf4 View Post
(In the context of a loving family, lots of things can happen that will be misinterpreted by those who don't have the internal context).
The way my brothers and I used to talk to each other -- and sometimes still do -- would shock some people. But it's all done with love.
Old 25 April 2017, 08:39 PM

What a single video recapping what's on the 100 of videos the family uploaded made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't watch it to the end because its heart breaking. I hope CPS gets involved. I have no words to describe what I think about those parents.
Old 26 April 2017, 03:30 AM

Mouse

I heard about this family via another YouTuber I follow. Good God, what part of any of this sounds like a funny prank?
Old 26 April 2017, 04:00 AM

I don't even need to see any of the videos.

Just reading the descriptions in the OP article has my hair standing on end.

Ugh.

This is nothing but hard core bullying, pure and simple. This sort of thing just drives me crazy.

The apology video sounds like nothing more than damage control to me, after they realized that social services are probably going to get involved.

What a couple of sadistic knuckleheads.
Old 26 April 2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
What bothers (but sadly does not surprise) me even more is that 750,000 people thought that such horrible "pranks" were sufficiently amusing that they'd subscribe to their channel.
I'm also bothered that advertisers paid to be featured on this kind of abusive content. I don't know exactly how it works, but don't most companies know what videos they're on? Or is it all numbers and no one notices the children being cursed and screamed at?

Quote:
“We just wanted our kids to be happy and we went about it in the wrong way.”
By telling your son to slap the face of his sister? On what planet is that the road to childhood happiness?
Old 26 April 2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Or is it all numbers and no one notices the children being cursed and screamed at?
Youtube does it automatically, like how Google uses algorithms to pick ads to show you on all sorts of websites that they don't personally review. There are something like 100 years worth of video content uploaded to Youtube every day. No human screens it all, not Youtube and not the advertisers. It would take so many employees to screen it all proactively, potentially billions of dollars in payroll. They put it up there and wait for people to complain about violations of their policy.

Sometimes advertisers will find out that Youtube was matching their ads with terrible content and pull their ads. Youtube will try to revoke ad supported status from some of the Youtubers known to be most objectionable, so that they aren't losing too many major advertisers in these types of incidents.

It is suprising that this channel was around long enough to build up so many subscribers, videos, and views, and it took this long for it become a problem.

Last edited by Errata; 26 April 2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 26 April 2017, 08:00 AM

Icon102

Something tells me that's not Jesus, Mary and Joseph in their living room.

Old 03 May 2017, 11:45 AM

Update: the couple is now in counseling and two of the kids have been removed from the home.
Oh, and those who got mad/complained: you all are haters!
Old 03 May 2017, 12:20 PM

Baseball

Jeepers, I thought the idea behind a prank was that everybody would get a laugh out of the action at the end. Things like dribble glasses, singing telegrams, gluing your pens to the desk.

But these two, I'm at a loss for words.
Old 03 May 2017, 01:53 PM

I've just seen a new clip about it, which showed one of the 'pranks'. It was disgusting and made me nearly physically sick.
Old 03 May 2017, 01:54 PM

Default Shake my head

As disturbing and upsetting as the basic facts regarding this care are, I'm beginning to get really annoyed about the way minor details are being misreported.

This is literally occurring in my back yard. I live in Urbana and work in Damascus, MD. The article that Dawnstorm linked to refers to them as a Damascus area couple. This is probably because they kept a PO box at the Damascus post office. The couple lives in Ijamsville, which is in the next county over, Frederick County.

Montgomery County officials were initially contacted (again, probably because of the PO box), but Frederick County DSS is correctly handling this case.

This might seem petty; but when easily identified facts are incorrectly reported, it makes me question the accuracy of the rest of the article.
Old 03 May 2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
gluing your pens to the desk.
My juvenile hind brain misread this as something else.
Old 03 May 2017, 02:33 PM

Glasses

So did mine, Easter.

This situation encapsulates my problem with practical jokes: where does "funny" end and "abuse" begin? As far as I'm concerned, in most situations, funny ends the moment you do something--anything--that a neutral observer would categorize as mean.

Seaboe
Old 03 May 2017, 02:44 PM

IOW, if someone is crying, you are doing "funny" wrong?
Old 03 May 2017, 03:58 PM

Icon02

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cat Named Easter View Post

This is literally occurring in my back yard. I live in Urbana and work in Damascus, MD. The article that Dawnstorm linked to refers to them as a Damascus area couple. This is probably because they kept a PO box at the Damascus post office. The couple lives in Ijamsville, which is in the next county over, Frederick County.
I did a double take myself because I first heard this couple lives in Ijamsville as well. (media, would it NFBSK kill you to do some NFBSKing research??)

To A Cat Named Easter: On the advice of my counsel I am invoking my 5th Amendment rights...