snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 17 April 2017, 01:20 PM

mbravo, we used that with our 9 year old son this past Christmas, since he was pretty sure Santa wasn't real, but our 4 year old daughter is pretty sure he is. SO, my wife took my son out and talked to him about how Santa is a spirit, we can all work on and share, and can all be called to be a Santa. My son got it. My wife then asked if he could be a Santa and give a big gift to a little guy who really needed something this year. My son said ok. SO, my wife took him to a person's house and introduced him to a kitten whose siblings had all been adopted and was very lonely and asked my son if he could help that kitten have a better Christmas. He was up to the challenge.

Neither of my kids have ever believed in the Easter bunny. We have never mentioned the idea it might be real. However, they have both been told that fairies are real. The younger one still believes, the older...probably not, but knows that if he goes with it the fairy still might bring presents, and swap him a present for most of his candy after Halloween.
Old 18 April 2017, 10:44 AM

I'm really uncomfortable with lying to children for any reason, unless you make it obvious you're just telling a story for fun.

But even I wouldn't just crap all over a child's beliefs. If you would do that for the Easter bunny, would you refuse to accept a child's other beliefs too? What if they didn't believe the same thing as you?
Old 18 April 2017, 01:07 PM

I think that's the problem CAS had with this couple. The Easter Bunny was the example the couple used to make themselves seem like they were being picked on over something trivial. But the issue at heart here has never been whether a foster couple must tell children there is an Easter Bunny or a Santa Claus or a tooth fairy or whatever. It's whether a foster couple should be open to allowing children to continue to follow the traditions their own family has been raising them with and that opens up issues a lot more serious than an Easter Bunny.

These people seem to believe that they can foster children and raise them as conservative Christians. What does that mean if the children they foster don't share the same faith? Or have no religious background at all? Could they, would they, accept that?
Old 18 April 2017, 02:34 PM

They likely had to agree to support and facilitate the beliefs of any children they foster as part of becoming foster parents. Children taken into care here at least are supposed to have their religious beliefs supported. I expect that it's the same or similar there.